NP: The now playing thread

Permabanned
The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - January 10th, 2014.

I've posted their first album in this thread previously, but I hadn't been keeping up to date and had no idea that they released a new album earlier this summer until I caught it on Spotify yesterday. Anyway, this song came on and it really stood out, so I decided to see if the video was up for it. And as I'm watching the video I was like "I need to find out what the story behind this is" and that's when I learnt about Diana, The Hunter of Bus Drivers.

For those of you that can't be bothered to read the link (though you should), over the course of a few decades, women in Juárez, Mexico were being assaulted, raped and murdered either on the way to work, or on the way home from work and their bodies left at the roadside or dumped in the desert. The police did nothing. The bus drivers were the ones the finger was pointed at. By 2010 it was estimated that over 300 woman had died. Tori Amos covered the topic in her song "Jaurez" and At The Drive-In covered the topic in their song "Invalid Litter Department". I'm a huge fan of ATDI, so I'd known about the murders before, but I hadn't heard about Diana.

Who is Diana? In 2013 a woman walked onto a number 4 bus and shot a bus driver dead. 24 hours later, she struck again killing the driver of a bus on the same route. She sent a note to a news website and signed it off "Diana, hunter of bus drivers". The bus drivers are now terrified of being targeted. Immediately after the killings the police started putting plain clothes officers on the buses to protect the bus drivers and try and catch "Diana", despite the fact they did **** all for the women over a 20+ year period.

This song is basically an ode to Diana (both the vigilante and the Roman goddess of the hunt, moon and childbirth). Lot's of Dianic imagery in the video (the flaming pentacle and half moons is the Dianic Wicca symbol), et cetera. I just thought it was a really cool and interesting song and concept. It's probably my favourite song of the year so far and I only heard it less than 24 hours ago.

Favourite lines

"How great that someone's doing what many of us should have done."
and particularly "Make evil afraid of evils shadow." which is awesome when you read this Guardian article were a bus driver says

"We're terrified," said bus driver Rodrigo as he started his engine, complaining of a constant headache from the strain of checking over each passenger and keeping an eye out for suspicious behaviour. "We're frightened of our own shadow."

Good.

Soldato
You know the score it's time for some Hardcore

PS Need help as my old brain has gone blank the start of this tune uses a scratch sample from a 80's Electro track which i can't remember the name of

Soldato
duh-duh-duh duh dun duh .... duh dun duh dun-dun-dun-duh dun duh!
You take a mortal man,
And put him in control
Watch him become a god,
Watch peoples heads aroll

Soldato

hehe, I have a soft spot for The Shamen - Boss Drum, kind of a point in my adolescence when the world started to become so much larger. Strange now that I'm almost 40 that it seems to have become the exact opposite, becoming reduced so. https://youtu.be/voYP-zwBCK4?t=31m38s

EDIT:
just to add one more that seems to define a particular time - This was always on first thing in the morning (radio suffolk or something) in the dormitory as everyone was waking up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom