NR200 Owner's Thread

Associate
There has been a few videos by Machines and More that has actually shown GPU temperatures to benefit from the glass side panel as long as there are bottom case fans underneath it. The glass helps direct the airflow beyond the GPU so it can quickly be extracted by the top exhaust fans. This is at the expense of CPU temperatures however, so it is always a balancing act with the NR200.

Either way, as long as both the CPU cooler and GPU have good airflow then the case is doing it's job well. At that point, to me it just comes down to keeping the fans as quiet as possible while also keeping temperatures below 70c.

Associate
Was talking with Sheen and suggest he look at a hybrid side panel. What if you blocked off the lower half of the grilled side panel, up to the side intake rail? This could, in theory give the GPU the focused air flow of the bottom intake and still allow the amazing cooling options of an AIO of top down cooler setup.

Soldato
I've got the idea in mind, but until I get a new graphics card I'm not committing to anything! Hoping I get a card that can deshroud nicely, then I'll put a pair of 120mm fans at the bottom of the case with a shroud for the graphics card. That's assuming I don't end up watercooling anyway!

Was talking with Sheen and suggest he look at a hybrid side panel. What if you blocked off the lower half of the grilled side panel, up to the side intake rail? This could, in theory give the GPU the focused air flow of the bottom intake and still allow the amazing cooling options of an AIO of top down cooler setup.

Not sure how that would help at all. I don't see how covering off parts of the side vent would improve the airflow to the graphics cards from the bottom fans! If anything it would restrict air leaving the graphics card and make temperatures worse in my opinion.

Associate
I am surprised that nobody is 3D printing a shroud to direct the bottom fans on to the GPU — it probably doesn't need much

Yeah I am waiting until I get the proper GPU in there before investing the time to make a shroud. Currently it seems like most 3080's will only leave room for a slim fan, so no shroud needed there. Meanwhile the 3080 Founders edition you could technically do a shroud to the 2 fans.

Soldato
Watched all the machines and more air cooling videos today during my son's naps and I think I'm right in saying regarding bottom intakes that if you have a tower CPU cooler there is no need for bottom intakes but if you have a top down cooler you can benefit from bottom intakes

Anyone else come to that conclusion?

If so I might give up on the whole positive pressure thing and sell my intake fans to recoup some of the cost because they are too loud

Thing is he is using a mesh panel though so not sure if what he is saying is relevant to TG panel

Need to find the time to do some testing with them on and off

Associate
Reporting on the Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 with the TG panel - it's confirmed to "barely fit" by several people on reddit, BUT only with Gigabyte Aorus B550I motherboard and it might require a couple of tries. Also the cooler presses against the top fan grill. The builder said that if you remove the grill everything is fine. No information whether it fits with other motherboards. It seems that the exact motherboard model plays a role in the whole "the cooler sometimes fits, sometimes it doesn't" thing that we see with the Scythe Fuma 2 and other coolers.

Is the different design of the socket nest (not sure how the part of the mbu below/around the socket is called) that's causing the difference in the allowed cooler height?

I've found a video with another similar cooler - Scythe Kotetsu Mark 2. It shows how the mesh panel leaves a 1-2mm gap and when putting on the glass panel it seems to not touch the cooler or maybe just a little. The cooler itself seems flat enough (no heatpipe ends pointing), so it might not be a problem.

While the wait for the GPUs continues, I'm exploring whether it's possible to invert/mirror the case horizontally and have the motherboard on the left side and the glass panel on the right side, since I want the case to be on the left of my monitor. I now that the panels themselves are swappable, but don't want to look at the back of the mbu, plus temps are going to suffer probably. People are already inverting the case vertically to put radiators above pumps, but it requires modifying the case (cutting, drilling). I want to find a more non-destructive way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Removed the Noctua intakes and ran Heaven for 30 mins

Significantly quieter and CPU temp dropped by 1C to 68C with the wraith Prism peak temp

GPU doesn't care always the same temps regardless of case or fan setup

Think I'll sell them it's not worth the additional noise

Soldato
@Relentless81

Is that still using the tempered glass panel? Remind me what GPU you have?

Interesting result either way as it helps prove the diminishing returns of extra fans.

Yes TG panel, GPU is a Vega 56 Pulse but that never seems to care about it's surroundings it's been in two cases now with lots of different fans and the temps are always the same

Removing the fans has had no affect on CPU cooling with a top down cooler, tower might be different and other GPUs might be different too but for me it's not worth the noise and the cost

Will be interesting to see if the case gets dusty now though as it's negative pressure

Soldato
Cryorig H7 is a decent option for some CPUs with a lower TDP. Finally managed to get the fuma 2 to fit but had to use a different orientation.

nr200p-2.jpg
nr200p2.jpg

Soldato
Cryorig H7 is a decent option for some CPUs with a lower TDP. Finally managed to get the fuma 2 to fit but had to use a different orientation.

It is but there are reports that its convex base are no good for Ryzen IHS particularly 3000 series also there are reports that Gigabyte B550i owners cant install it due to the mounting bracket hitting the VRMs

What CPU are you using and what temps are you getting?

Soldato
It is but there are reports that its convex base are no good for Ryzen IHS particularly 3000 series also there are reports that Gigabyte B550i owners cant install it due to the mounting bracket hitting the VRMs

Using a 9900k at the moment. On the H7 high 80's at stock (4.8-4.7 ghz). Not ideal but it's within spec. Currently testing out 5ghz on the fuma 2.

Associate

So I was looking into this after you mentioned it a few days ago. Is the base plate actually convex though? The only thing I saw point to anything convex was their heat pipe arrangement.

C0C78Nw.jpg
features_prod2.png

Soldato
So I was looking into this after you mentioned it a few days ago. Is the base plate actually convex though? The only thing I saw point to anything convex was their heat pipe arrangement.
features_prod2.png

Maybe it is just the heat pipes and not the plate itself, that image also shows performance vs a stock intel cooler not AMD so for me thats a bit of a give away that its engineered more for Intel but thats just speculation on my part

You can google "Cryorig H7 Ryzen Reddit" and you'll see a fair few discussions about this, I wont be taking the risk anyway

The only other explanation is that top down coolers perform better in an NR200P than tower coolers, or it is the way the base (or heat pipes) align with the IHS. All I know is what I've tested everything else is speculation. As a recap -

After 30 minutes of Heaven in an NR200P with Glass panel

Scythe Mugen 5
Ambient = 19C
Peak temp = 72C

Wraith Prism
Ambient = 20C
Peak temp = 69C

I've been thinking of buying a Big Shuriken 3 to see if beats both of the above to prove the theory right or wrong but it might just be a waste of time and money

Back
Top Bottom