Nuclear War! What would you do?

Man of Honour
Guess we don't need them anymore, I feel we should.

In Japan, text messages are sent to your phone and TV's can turn on by themselves displaying the latest news to warn you of dangers.

Problem with air raid sirens - only really works when a population is properly drilled to respond to them which only really happens when you are well into an actual war/disaster or faced with an ongoing significant threat of disaster.

Generally we are pretty poorly prepared for any kind of significant disaster in this country.

Associate
Doubt there's much you can do even if we still had sirens.
Raid a shop for food amongst all the others? Of course, all those in blighty will just form a queue. It's what they do :p

Then what?
Stand in kitchen deciding what to have for (possibly) your last meal? hehe

Damn, forgot to buy more tea, brb :p

Soldato
25 years ago, my parents ran a village Post Office. In the nook under the stairs, we had a early warning receiver.

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page211.htm

Scroll down and look for the "First Generation Receiver" picture. Even now, looking at a picture of it gives me The Fear.

Turning it on and it made this awful, eerie "Tok - Tok - Tok" sound, and (I think) quarterly, Dad had to test it by turning it on and listening for code words which he then wrote on a post card and sent off to Early Warning System HQ.

Associate
With the amount of government cut backs we'll probably have some guy on minimum wage on top of the local council offices with an air horn, shouting "Leg it"!!!!!

Man of Honour
With the amount of government cut backs we'll probably have some guy on minimum wage on top of the local council offices with an air horn, shouting "Leg it"!!!!!

I shudder to think how my local council would handle such an event.

Man of Honour
You forgot to mention that the new bus station they built, just across the road from the old one, is a.) way too small for the busses to operate safely from, b.) located in a place whereby said busses have to navigate through small winding backstreets to gain entry and to leave and c.) is generally just not fit for purpose.

Local government corruption at it's finest.

That's all true as well. I'm surprised nobody has been killed.

I'm not certain it's corruption though. It might be incompetence. I think they just looked at some artist's impressions and decided which one they thought was prettiest. It's obvious that they gave no thought at all to how the development would work. We would have been much better served by hiring some children who'd played Sim City to plan the development, since they'd have a much better understanding of how the infrastructure of a city works.

I have joked that I'm going to stand for local government with the promise that I will waste people's money on beer and strippers and that I would be elected because people would agree that I'd be wasting it less than the current lot.

Man of Honour
How about the old bus station being that run down and derelict it was used in an apocalypse movie called The girl with all the gifts. 80% of S-o-T is a **** hole.

That was after the council decided to ruin the area, leave it to rot and build their pretty but dangerous and almost useless bus station next to it. The old bus station was a dump before then, but it was functional. It was only afterwards that the old bus station and the surrounding area become derelict enough to be used as a set in a post-apocalypse film with minimal set dressing.

Caporegime
Living where I do now pretty sure I'd be tactically vapourised so I'd probably go outdoors and makesure I died properly and not have a chance of survival :p

The whole town is built to survive some kind of coldwar strike, but I don't fancy it tbh.

Soldato
I live in Auckland, we are basically harmless and about as far from being a target as it is possible to be. If I genuinely thought we could be a target I would get on the bike out to school and pick up the kids then probably head to a marina and borrow a boat.

Soldato
The whole town is built to survive some kind of coldwar strike
how do they do that then? we can't put up a block of flats w/out it having a chance of spontaneously burning to the ground so i'm curious as to how you go about building an entirely strike-proof town? if you're talking about nuke strikes i'd have to assume your town is actually underground :D

Soldato
how do they do that then? we can't put up a block of flats w/out it having a chance of spontaneously burning to the ground
Technically speaking we did put up a block of flats with zero chance of it burning to the ground (many of them). It wasn't until it was encased in flammable cladding a year ago that it became unsafe.

Soldato
the scary thing is this is what will happen. I have often thought about where I am and where my loved ones are at the time and if I would ever get to them.

It would be more efficient to train them to look after themselves. That way you can all try to get to safety, then try to find each other once things have settled down.

Caporegime
how do they do that then? we can't put up a block of flats w/out it having a chance of spontaneously burning to the ground so i'm curious as to how you go about building an entirely strike-proof town? if you're talking about nuke strikes i'd have to assume your town is actually underground :D

I
Ok yeah technically the town is toast but there's enough provisions and underground habitation for thousands of people for a good amount of time.

They recently declassified an underground 5 level complex. Civilians that work for the military up here say there are many such constructions and a few much bigger.

Apparently there's a whole aircraft facility and room for Norrbotten's tank regiment.

I think a lot of its probably mothballed Sweden s military capacity is pretty comical.

Back
Top Bottom