Number of drinks needed to give you a hangover?

Soldato
Not done this for many, many years but on Friday in the space of 3 hours I somehow managed to consume 2 pints of 5% lager & just shy of 3 bottles of red wine along with some pizza & a lasagne.

It must be 6-7 years since I've been in that state, I don't care to repeat it, if only for the roasting I got off the Mrs for throwing up on the carpet.

:(

Soldato
Never had a hang over, that's not a boast I just don't get them no matter how much I drink.. Anything over 4 pints I am only able to sleep for 4 hours then wake up and am unable to get to sleep again but don't feel ill..

Soldato
Never had a hang over, that's not a boast I just don't get them no matter how much I drink.. Anything over 4 pints I am only able to sleep for 4 hours then wake up and am unable to get to sleep again but don't feel ill..
How old are you? I never got one until I was over 35

Soldato
I found that hangovers began at about 21 or so. I hate drinking any more than 5 pints now as I can't sleep properly.

Never touch shorts and I'm generally OK even if I do go mad.

Caporegime
Completely depends on what i'm drinking.

Stella - 1/2 (Rancid stuff, hence why I hardly ever drink it)
General lager - 9/10
Most ales - infinity
Spirits (doubles) - 7/8

Approximately.

Soldato
It doesn't take much for me to get drunk but takes a good few pints to get a hangover. However when I get them... they're awful!

We have some great cider places in Bristol. The Apple, sells a cider called Old Bristolian, which is 8.4% and the only sell it by the half pint. Had a few of those on a hot summers day and the day after I genuinely thought I was going to meet my maker!

Soldato
Up until 30 hangovers were just a matter of nausea and headaches, and nothing that a fry-up, some Lucozade and aspirin couldn't fix.

From 30-40, they started to get noticably worse, and threw such things as anxiety, depression, detachment from reality, self-loathing, and general terror into the mix.

Now, on the wrong side of 40, I need to know my limits or it's horrors-ville.

Four pints/500ml cans of 5% lager of an evening (can't honestly say I've noticed the brand making much difference) is the most I can drink and wake up feeling mostly okay (perhaps just a bit more tired than usual).

Five, and for certain I'll wake up feeling a bit anxious at around 4am, struggle to get back to sleep, and feel bleary-eyed, tired and a bit down the next day.

Six plus and the other terrors start to enter the mix, cumulatively with each additional unit of alcohol. This is territory I try to avoid.

The problem is, I can drink six cans/pints over a whole evening an not feel that I'm overly drunk. It can be tricky to make myself remember the horrors that lay ahead.

Caporegime
I've been hungover after a single beer before if I was unusually dehydrated - did a 22mile run then spent 10 hours flying, thought I was hydrated but 1 strong beer gave me a cracking headache the next morning.
Otherwise it is highly variable depending on food consumed and length of time, but nothing like when I was younger. The first thing you notice as yo age is you just can;t handle alcohol, which is all well and good IMO.

Associate
Good grief - some of you on here not experiencing your first hangover until well in your thirties, where have I gone wrong haha.

I'm now 28 and been experiencing hangovers on/off after a good binge since the age of 20. Admittedly when I turned 18 I hardly ever drank, only once a month if that when I was out in town with the ex and it wasn't until I was 22 and after we had broken up, in full swing party mode nearly every weekend that I fully discovered the drinking lark with old mates... And proper hangovers.

On the occasional quiet weekend night nowadays where I'll have at max 4 pints, I'll usually feel fine the next morning (if I get a solid 8 hours kip).

Anymore than that and say up to 6-7 pints of in the mood, disturbed sleep then the headache will be on the cards by the morning - sometimes before even going bed.

Strangely enough, the likes of whiskey can be a mixed bag... Sometimes I can feel fine the next day but feel like I've had a drink (tiredness). Other times I'll wake up feeling nauseous.

Back a couple of years ago when I was last single, some of the weekends with mates or work colleagues when out & about used to get ridiculous... Spending most Sunday's in bed after the night before and still feeling it when back in work on the Monday morning. I can safely say that the hangovers get worse as the years go by and when I do get out nowadays, I don't drink as much as I used to...

Liam.

Associate
I love my ale, but if I have any more than about five pints in a session, my stomach literally cannot hold anything else. If I'm going out for a evening of boozing then I'll try and stick to 'session' beers, which in my mind is any beer under 4% - the likes of Adnams Southwold, Woodfordes Wherry or Greene King IPA. Five pints of something like that is enough to get me quite ratted (bloody lightweight :rolleyes:), but I never get a hangover the following morning and don't throw up.

I did get a bit carried away around Easter this year - I had about five pints of a 4.6% stout one afternoon, which was utterly gorgeous (like drinking liquid silk), but far too strong to drink in that kind of quantity. Within five minutes of getting home at about 6pm, I was in the bathroom, head down the bog throwing up. I proceeded to pass out on the bathroom floor for the next six hours and awoke to find my wife had covered me with a blanket, put a pillow under my head and had gone off to bed. Can't remember whether I actually had a hangover the following morning ...

Red wine, on the other hand, is my downfall - much as I like it, I have no tolerance for it ... three average-size glasses and I'll be shuffling around the following morning like a zombie. I normally wake up about four in the morning, completely unable to get back to sleep again - 'red wine head' as I refer to it. The worst hangovers I've ever had have been through wine, usually red.

Can't really comment on people saying hangovers get worse with age - in my case, being older and supposedly more sensible, I know what gives me a hangover and I usually avoid drinking it in any kind of quantity in the first place!

Back
Top Bottom