Nurburgring May 2006 Details

Just got us some two way radios el, 3km range and all that jazz £39 for a good set :)

gadcobmt725.jpg

I314413.jpg

Specifications
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General
Product Type Two-way radio
Radio System
Type PMR
Channels 8-channel
Max Talk Range 3 km
Call Alerts 5
Vibrating Alert Yes
Controls Call button, power button, channel selector/scroll buttons, lock button, mode button, volume button, monitor button, push-to-talk (PTT) button
Two-Way Radio Display Information Lock indicator, VOX indicator, scan indicator, call indicator, sub-channel indicator, receive indicator, transmit indicator, channel indicator, battery save indicator, dual watch indicator, vibration alert indicator, battery level indicator
Sub-Channels Qty 38
Radio System Features
Voice Operated Transmission (VOX) Internal (iVOX)
VOX Sensitivity 5-level
Channel Scan Yes
Programmable Scan Yes
Audible Call Alert Yes
Keypad Lock Yes
Keystroke Tone Built-in
Weatherproof Yes
Additional Features Auto squelch, talk confirmation tone, Babyphone (room monitoring)
Display
Type LCD display
Features Backlit
Miscellaneous
Aerial External
Connections Speaker jack
Microphone jack
DC power input
Included Accessories Belt clip, wrist strap
Power
Type Charging stand + power adapter
Battery
Battery 1 x battery
Technology Rechargeable - Nickel Metal Hydride
Recharge Time 3 hour(s)

Last edited:
I'll borrow a spare radio off Dave if he's got one, certainly not buying any more after the fiasco last time.

Besides, once I'm on the continent I'll be wicking the stereo up anyway so wouldn't hear a radio if I had one :D

I bought some decent radios off the bay but it turned out they had some weird code system on them whereby whenever you pressed the talk button they'd send a sequence of tones and the other end would only connect if it heard the right tones. Effectively it lets you sub-divide up the standard channels as it stops other users on the same channel being heard if they're not broadcasting the right tones.

This meant that, although the two radios I had would talk to each other fine, and Dave's radios could hear mine, mine wouldn't receive Dave's as he wasn't transmitting these codes. I couldn't find any way of disabling them either :(

Basically they were too clever, I needed something cheap and stupid :)

The radios can be handy but as I said, if you've got the stereo blaring you'll never hear them and if you get separated by more than a few miles you'll be out of range anyway.

Vertigo1 said:
Actually for most of the trip (i.e. not derestricted autobahns) the limiting factor isn't the car but how far you're prepared to push your luck with the speed limits.

You will have to be very careful tbh. The law in France has changed recently and if you are caught doing 40km/h over the speed limit (25mph) it's an instant 15 day ban.

And ban as in - leave the car and start walking (if you don't have a passenger that can drive it for you).

From EVO:

20kph over = 45 euro fine
20-30kph over = 90 euro fine
40-50kph over = 90 euro fine, immediate confiscation of driving license for 15 days
50kph+ over = 750 euro fine, immediate confiscation of driving license for minimum of 1 month

The good thing about driving to the ring is that you head up the E40 towards Belgium from Calais you are over the border in next to no time anyway.

Drive safe peeps :)

Well I've not read the article you mention but frankly I can't believe the French police have any legal right to sieze your license on the spot.

Regardless, I heard before the last trip that the French were cracking down on speeding, specifically around the Calais area as too many Brits were getting off the ferries and tearing off down the Autoroutes as they assumed they were beyond reach by the French police. Will take it easy in France until we get to Belgium, where they all drive like lunatics anyway so we'll blend right in :)

evilowl said:
You will have to be very careful tbh. The law in France has changed recently and if you are caught doing 40km/h over the speed limit (25mph) it's an instant 15 day ban.

And ban as in - leave the car and start walking (if you don't have a passenger that can drive it for you).

From EVO:

40-50kph over = 90 euro fine, immediate confiscation of driving license for 15 days
50kph+ over = 750 euro fine, immediate confiscation of driving license for minimum of 1 month

The good thing about driving to the ring is that you head up the E40 towards Belgium from Calais you are over the border in next to no time anyway.

Glad I've not been caught when I've been tootling along the French toll roads before now ;)

evilowl said:

From EVO:

there was an article in the sunday times driving section last sunday where they were taking a merc SL to switzerland. he got caught doing 100mph, 160kph, and got a 60 euro fine. thats 30kph over.

i think those quotes are more scare tactics. ( he hopes) :)

Back
Top Bottom