• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
320.11 are the drivers that came with my card, I guess they are just beta versions of the 320.18?

Edit: It's also the driver that's available on the Gigabyte website.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might want to put this into your op matt:

Someone over@Nvidia forum made a guide on how to fully get rid of the 320.18 driver, don't shoot me for being helpful:

What you’ll need: A little bit of patience..!
*Compatible/Working geforce driver for you GPU extracted from Nvidia installer to a newly created folder on your desktop.
*Installed Driver Fusion, aka Driver Sweeper Link: http://www.treexy.com/media/30691/driver_fusion_1.6.0.exe
*Installed CCleaner Link: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

First: Boot into Safe Mode follow instructions below!
*Win7 -Restart PC and keep hitting F8 on your keyboard until you see an option to select Safe Mode.
*Win8 -Open Notepad, copy and paste the following command line: C:\Windows\system32>shutdown /r /o /f /t 00
-then save-as this text file with the following name onto your desktop: SafeBoot8.bat
-Now once you run this created batch file your PC will reboot into SafeMode Menu, select option 4 for Safe Mode.

Second: Once in Safe Mode Go to your device manager!
-1- Win7/Win8 hold down Windows Key on your keyboard & simultaneously press R, paste the following command and hit OK: devmgmt.msc
-2- Now expand Display adapters by clicking on the small triangle then right-click on your Nvidia GeForce GPU and select Uninstall.
-3- Then open Driver Fusion Utility and select/mark Nvidia Display & Nvidia PhysX & hit analyze, delete what ever it finds but don’t click on reboot just yet.
-4- Open CCleaner and scan registry several times until it finds nothing once finished reboot your Win7/Win8 PC back into Safe Mode.
-5- Repeat step 3 & step 4 above until Driver Fusion finds nothing, rebooting into Safe Mode each time until finished.

Third: Installing working driver from Safe Mode!
-Open GeForce Driver folder that you had created previously from an extracted driver at the beginning of this guide, and right-click on setup.exe & run as Admin
-Click Agree & Continue & select Custom/Advanced option & deselect everything that you don’t need or have use for like 3D crap but make sure you select clean install.
-Finish Installation and reboot normally this time back to your desktop and continue-on with your life
!eNjoY.

PS: Try not to be too hard on Nvidia Support Guys, they’re not the one’s who made this decision on releasing somewhat embarrassing piece of unfinished work/driver.

@Suarez7, a very bad man.:eek::)

Associate
Actually I could see you being able to force Nvidia to replace a GPU that was out of warranty if you could prove beyond reasonable doubt that faulty drivers were the cause.

bru

bru

Soldato
Actually I could see you being able to force Nvidia to replace a GPU that was out of warranty if you could prove beyond reasonable doubt that faulty drivers were the cause.

good luck with that in a court of law against a company the size of Nvidia.

edit: dam beaten to it :)

Caporegime
OP
Might want to put this into your op matt:

Someone over@Nvidia forum made a guide on how to fully get rid of the 320.18 driver, don't shoot me for being helpful:

@Suarez7, a very bad man.:eek::)

That's already in the OP Tommy. ;)

Not to mention i included a link to the AMD thread for a full version of Driver Fusion. :)

Soldato
Wow read some horror stories regarding these drivers killing cards and causing all kinds of other problems like hard locks, reboots and freezes.

Someone over at OC.net has started a petition, change 'xx' to 'tt' hxxp://www.change.org/petitions/the-people-vs-nvidia-co-compensate-the-victims-of-the-nvidia-320-18-whql-display-driver

I wander if Nvidia guys will erase these problems from their minds again and keep telling AMD users that their drivers suck :p.

bru

bru

Soldato
It's called a class action lawsuit, I can easily see the yanks doing it if enough of them lose GPU's :p

Well apart form the fact that you would actually have to prove that it wasn't one of the other 100's of varying factors in each and every one of our PC's and that even if you did manage to push through a class action lawsuit as you have put it would probably be 5/10 years and thousands of pounds in lawyers fees before you got your £500 video card replaced.

bru

bru

Soldato
Just to clarify I'm not saying these drivers are not at fault, I'm just saying that proving it in court would be next to impossible.

Caporegime
I installed these a few weeks ago or whenever. Not had any problems, do I really need to change to an older set?

Remember what I said before...

Why risk damaging the card just because it works now? If a make of car was announced defective and dangerous and you had that model, would you risk driving the car and your life just because it was OK at the time?

This is what I keep telling people who are using these drivers, it ISN'T worth the risk

Soldato
That's already in the OP Tommy. ;)

Not to mention i included a link to the AMD thread for a full version of Driver Fusion. :)

Oh the shame.:o

Remember what I said before...

Why risk damaging the card just because it works now? If a make of car was announced defective and dangerous and you had that model, would you risk driving the car and your life just because it was OK at the time?

This is what I keep telling people who are using these drivers, it ISN'T worth the risk

Exactly, best bit of advice in the thread.

Caporegime
Other people with 7xx cards are not using the 320.18's, thankfully :)

But Neil what do we do if we have a 7** card and only 320.18 is compatible :eek: :confused:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379110
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379110&page=2

Tried these?

or

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379253

Palit GTX 780 - 314.22 no more ctd's in my games
314.22 that work on all cards is here
http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/179-31x-series-geforce-driver-release/

Last edited:
Soldato
nvidiafp.jpg

Status