• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
..I chose the AsRock Z790 Nova which only has one Gen5 Slot, otherwise, I would have gone for 2 x 3090's. So I'm stuck on single cards.

Yeah was just checking that, and your limited by single card unfortunately. However saying that, I think nvlink will only benefit the training and fine tuning, inference wont see much gain. I have been running the local models within the budget.

Soldato
Yeah was just checking that, and your limited by single card unfortunately. However saying that, I think nvlink will only benefit the training and fine tuning, inference wont see much gain. I have been running the local models within the budget.

You can set apps like Kobold CCP to detect multiple cards at the same time and share VRAM across them all.

Associate
I'm on tenterhooks to find out if the 5090 will have 32Gb of VRAM or stick to 24Gb. I'm running local AI models now and that extra 8Gb will make a difference running the larger LLMs
I am more worried the price will go up rather than the VRAM.

Rumors have it a substantial price increase is coming for the 5090.

Soldato
I’m saving my pennies ready for a 5090 but I have a feeling we’re going to be seeing £2,500-£3,000 for the 5090.

If they price them any higher than they are now then they will be collecting dust as £1549 for a 4090 FE is already daft enough and we saw what happened to the 3090ti at £2k... never sold and they had to slash the price in half in the end even before the 4090 came out as the market for £1k+ GPUs is dead again and we only saw that craziness during the mining period and lockdowns as people were making money on them or trapped at home and needed a pc for working from home or to entertain themselves.. That period is dead and the AI bubble is going pop too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm just here to see the fallout from opening the VRAM topic again :p Decent video from DF as always

Last edited:
Soldato
So looks like there's a reason for DP 1.4 on NV cards after all...

There are many optical display port 2.1 cables certified from vesa..

Example google :-

FIBBR VESA Certified DisplayPort 2.1 Cable 1M, 16K 40Gbps DP to DP Cable(16K@30Hz, 10K@30Hz, 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz), Support 3D, HDCP2.2, G-Sync & FreeSync​

From 1M to 20M... so that's just a rubbish excuse. Nvidia just cheaped out and was only one samsung monitor that had it at time the 59 superwide that was half 8K really. The excuse is for passive cables even HDMI doesn't like long passive cables and needs active optical cables.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
FIBBR VESA Certified DisplayPort 2.1 Cable 1M, 16K 40Gbps DP to DP Cable(16K@30Hz, 10K@30Hz, 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz), Support 3D, HDCP2.2, G-Sync & FreeSync
None of that shows a 4k 240Hz compatible cable, which is the context of all thins. 4K 144 is pointless in this context as all next gen high end panels are going to be 240Hz+

Soldato
None of that shows a 4k 240Hz compatible cable, which is the context of all thins. 4K 144 is pointless in this context as all next gen high end panels are going to be 240Hz+
It will have to use DSC but the cables are 2.1 certified. Display port 2.1 spec is a mess because how they are selling it to consumers and the same is happening by monitor and graphics card companies and not making it clear they are using DSC to achieve these high frame rates and resolutions.

But reason why Nvidia didn't use it is just rubbish as they just cheaped out and know people will need to update GPU sooner if they update their monitors to any of the new DP 2.1 models available and coming.. 4000 series should have had it from day one but was part of the planned obsolescence games, AMD had it on 7000 series and so did Intel on their new cards have DP 2.0 up to UHBR 10, only ones still running the old DP 1.4 to this day is Nvidia.

Last edited:
Associate
It will have to use DSC but the cables are 2.1 certified. Display port 2.1 spec is a mess because how they are selling it to consumers and the same is happening by monitor and graphics card companies and not making it clear they are using DSC to achieve these high frame rates and resolutions.

But reason why Nvidia didn't use it is just rubbish as they just cheaped out and know people will need to update GPU sooner if they update their monitors to any of the new DP 2.1 models available and coming.. 4000 series should have had it from day one but was part of the planned obsolescence games, AMD had it on 7000 series and so did Intel on their new cards have DP 2.0 up to UHBR 10, only ones still running the old DP 1.4 to this day is Nvidia.
Deleted because of being drunk.

Last edited:
Soldato

AMD only used DP2.1 so they could display it on their adverts in the hope a bigger number would sell more cards. The reality is the spec they used makes it pointless because it doesn't support UHBR20 so still can't run "any of the new DP2.1 models available", the 4K 240Hz model for example. It will still require DSC and will still look the same as on an Nvidia card.

The fact that it's impossible to tell the difference between DP1.4 with DSC and native DP2.1 is also worth noting. But oh wait... It's a bigger number!!11!!

Soldato
There are many optical display port 2.1 cables certified from vesa..

Example google :-

FIBBR VESA Certified DisplayPort 2.1 Cable 1M, 16K 40Gbps DP to DP Cable(16K@30Hz, 10K@30Hz, 8K@60Hz, 4K@144Hz), Support 3D, HDCP2.2, G-Sync & FreeSync​

From 1M to 20M... so that's just a rubbish excuse. Nvidia just cheaped out and was only one samsung monitor that had it at time the 59 superwide that was half 8K really. The excuse is for passive cables even HDMI doesn't like long passive cables and needs active optical cables.

40GB/s? What lol

Soldato
I am more worried the price will go up rather than the VRAM.

Rumors have it a substantial price increase is coming for the 5090.

What rumours? Source?

I'm genuinely interested as all I've seen thus far is a shedload of speculation and fear-mongering, nothing even approaching what I'd call a "rumour".

I still fail to see why the 5090 should be significantly more expensive than the 4090. The 4090 wasn't significantly more expensive than the 3090, despite being a LOT faster.

Back
Top Bottom