• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Hope i'm wrong, but my gut is saying that the jump in raster and rt performance without DLSS will be small, especially considering the price and power jump. I suspect the big gains are from the new DLSS, hence why he concentrated on that.

Yup pretty sure no benchmarks to show it ? And he mentioned 25% more games performance ?

What games need specs of a 4090? apart from Cyberpunk which has the wow factor for 5 mins

lets look at warhammer darktide releasing oct :- 580 8gb
scorn 1060 3gb

GTV 6 is not till 2023 / 2024
Cyberpunk can already be made to run quite well on 30 series cards.
GTA6 is probably more like 2025 on console and 2026/27 on PC. And even after all that wait, it'll still be a console port.

That's the silver lining in today's Nvidia pricing announcements - there are no damn games worth paying this kind of money for, and nor will there ever be within the cards lifetime.

Hope i'm wrong, but my gut is saying that the jump in raster and rt performance without DLSS will be small, especially considering the price and power jump. I suspect the big gains are from the new DLSS, hence why he concentrated on that.

that was literally part of their presentation, that pure hardware gains wouldn't keep up with demand and new techniques like DLSS where required

anyone thinking we'd get 4k 120fps RT without DLSS was really smoking something

wNnCAtu.png

@Nexus18

Smelling the BS yet ?

I'll wait for actual comparisons before judging dlss 3 quality, couldn't care less if it renders at 480p up to 4k, as long as the quality looks good and on par with native/dlss quality preset, that would be a big win for dlss 3, if it is literally just another preset below ultra performance and the IQ suffers big time then that will be utter dog **** and will also make the 40xx even less tempting.

But yes, the graph is misleading as I think we have all said before when it comes to "any" PR slides, same goes for AMD too.

There's no killer RT games coming down the pipe (even nVidia had to use Cyberpunk as their 'poster-child' again) - and I suspect that RTX Drive thing is smoke and mirrors (remember the marble demo last time that doesn't even run at a playable frame rate on a 3090Ti).

There is quite a few announced upcoming RT titles, next one being plague which is out next month and looks to be heavy on the RT effects. They probably used CP 2077 because of their partnership for it + we all know how demanding it is with RT and obviously it is still one of the best games visually and most demanding RT title we have so not too surprising to see them using it for showing of RT and DLSS 3.

But we should be annoyed at the prices as otherwise they will keep going up!

Believe it or not it's not the enthusiast crowd in here that's pushing prices up as we are a minority, I'm on a fair few discords for Destiny and a fair few of the members are 18-20 year olds who still live at home, The amount of them that day 1 got a 3090 bought by mummy and daddy I'd say was nigh on all of them and there are a lot of these types of people, Nvidia has seen people will quite literally pay anything for "the new shiny" so they can keep putting prices up every generation and as I've been saying since the 2000 series, We are not long off seeing xx70 class cards costing £1000.

I have a 3000 series card I bought pre-owned but in mint condition, I'll stick with that, Unless prices return to normality I'll stick to the pre-owned market and have a look at the pre-owned 4000 series when we get the 5000 series. And as a good friend of mine said, Leather jacket man can go suck off a yak.

Last edited:
Do you get the feeling that the underlying hardware is not scaling as quickly now and they need software "tricks" to make it look like the new cards are much faster?
Yes, I do get that feeling. 2xxx series was a small jump, 3xxx was small too, just the price of the 3080 masked it. I suspect 4xxx is going to be a small jump, bar the DLSS "tricks".

I'm also curious to see what DLSS 3.0 does to latency - if the engine's running at 60fps but DLSS is producing 120fps aren't your inputs still gonna be at 60fps? They mentioned Reflex and optimized latency but it's all a bit woolly no?

Back
Top Bottom