• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Why do people keep using steam to back up their position? Are those figures not for the whole world? That will include laptops, Internet cafes, third world etc?

We are at Overclockers UK here mate… Go make a poll and let’s see if people here agree if the next gen of cards will be overpowered or not ;)

Of course there is the guys at the top of the pile who buy the best, and mostly play fancy AAA titles, but if they were the only people buying video cards, then Nvidia wouldnt be selling GPUs.

Even on OCUK, we have a mix of people. But on here yeah I expect 1080p isnt the most common resolution, probably 1440p instead.

I am going on the rumours, that they going to be double the performance. I think if you a 60hz gamer, whats that grunt for? If you want your 300fps then fair enough, this is why I think we going to get some crazy bad optimising, so suddenly 3080s and the like will struggle to hit 40fps.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Of course there is the guys at the top of the pile who buy the best, and mostly play fancy AAA titles, but if they were the only people buying video cards, then Nvidia wouldnt be selling GPUs.

Even on OCUK, we have a mix of people. But on here yeah I expect 1080p isnt the most common resolution, probably 1440p instead.

I am going on the rumours, that they going to be double the performance. I think if you a 60hz gamer, whats that grunt for? If you want your 300fps then fair enough, this is why I think we going to get some crazy bad optimising, so suddenly 3080s and the like will struggle to hit 40fps.
Thing is, if what you say is true many won’t upgrade. Will game devs be stupid enough to not optimise for majority of their audience and only to high end users with brand new gen cards? You may get get nvidia or AMD sponsored games that try and optimise a game to their own hardware’s strength, but that’s about it. Anything else further dodgy or lazy will be in a handful of games, if that imo.

We will soon see I suppose :)

Soldato
Cannot believe it's about 20 years of building computers and it's still the same old "just wait for the next generation" advice :D I pulled the trigger on a full system upgrade just as the 3000 series GPUs came out. Even then I was told to wait for the new AMD CPU chips (Glad I ignored that nonsense) went from an overclocked intel 4000 series CPU and a 980GTX to a 3700x / 32GB ram / 3070FE. 100% made the right decision, I've played through Resident Evil 2 re-mastered, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Cyberpunk, Control, Elden Ring, Resident Evil VIII, Forza Horizon 4. Probably a bunch of other games I've forgotten about and not including any multiplayer games I've thrown 100s of hours into. What a joy being able to pretty much max out every game on that list @ 1440p. Not only that, would mine a little over night when the prices were crazy. I've already paid for the 3070 almost two times over just from profit on that.

Soldato
Cannot believe it's about 20 years of building computers and it's still the same old "just wait for the next generation" advice :D I pulled the trigger on a full system upgrade just as the 3000 series GPUs came out. Even then I was told to wait for the new AMD CPU chips (Glad I ignored that nonsense) went from an overclocked intel 4000 series CPU and a 980GTX to a 3700x / 32GB ram / 3070FE. 100% made the right decision, I've played through Resident Evil 2 re-mastered, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Cyberpunk, Control, Elden Ring, Resident Evil VIII, Forza Horizon 4. Probably a bunch of other games I've forgotten about and not including any multiplayer games I've thrown 100s of hours into. What a joy being able to pretty much max out every game on that list @ 1440p. Not only that, would mine a little over night when the prices were crazy. I've already paid for the 3070 almost two times over just from profit on that.

easy to say that if you made most of the money back, i have zero clue how to mine so i care if parts are dead in the water waiting to sink in 6 months

Associate
easy to say that if you made most of the money back, i have zero clue how to mine so i care if parts are dead in the water waiting to sink in 6 months

I was the same with having no clue, and it seemed complex.

If you ever fancy having a go just look into nicehash quickminer. Really simple to set up. The hardest part was getting my account verified. Not that it was difficult per say just involved sending a small payment into your account from your bank.

I literally just leave it running overnight and during the day when I'm actually at work and it's made a few hundred pounds.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's why I buy my cards at the start of a generation. For someone asking now my advice would be wait. If money is not an issue then people would just buy now and buy again when new cards are out again. But if you want to get the best bang for youroney buying now is not the answer. Of course there are circumstances where buying now makes sense, like being less busy now but might be more busy later on in the year when new cards are out etc.

Oh and i have been building and upgrading my PC's for 20+ years also. There simply is no one size fits all answer, the answer depends on the individual and their circumstances.

Soldato
That's why I buy my cards at the start of a generation. For someone asking now my advice would be wait. If money is not an issue then people would just buy now and buy again when new cards are out again. But if you want to get the best bang for youroney buying now is not the answer. Of course there are circumstances where buying now makes sense, like being less busy now but might be more busy later on in the year when new cards are out etc.

Oh and i have been building and upgrading my PC's for 20+ years also. There simply is no one size fits all answer, the answer depends on the individual and their circumstances.

With how hard it is to get a hold of FE cards @ MSRP prices. If you see a good opportunity to buy a 3060ti, 3070, 3070ti or 3080 at close to the msrp then just buy it. No way you will regret it unless you 100% need to play at 4k / 60fps. I severely doubt you would lose much even if you sold the card on for £50 less than you paid for it and upgraded to the 4000 series depending on availability. There is still a chip shortage, that hasn't changed. Anything thinking there will be 1000s of ready to buy 4000 series cards are deluded. We don't even know how much nvidia will take the **** yet with the price.

Associate
There is still a chip shortage, that hasn't changed. Anything thinking there will be 1000s of ready to buy 4000 series cards are deluded. We don't even know how much nvidia will take the **** yet with the price.

I’m glad someone said it.

People who think availability is going to be normal and the prices are going to be lower than the 30 series are going to be in for a surprise.

If anyone was thinking of selling their current cards before release I’d advise to think twice as I think the situation will be worse than it was for people who sold their 20 series in anticipation for 30 series cards.

Soldato

People who think availability is going to be normal and the prices are going to be lower than the 30 series are going to be in for a surprise.

If anyone was thinking of selling their current cards before release I’d advise to think twice as I think the situation will be worse than it was for people who sold their 20 series in anticipation for 30 series cards.

We had the perfect storm though ? Lockdown causing shortage ? more people being inside wanting one ? , Crypto boom ? More being bought for mining ?

Seem to be coping with COVID now ? More people have got cards now ? Seeing retailers having stock now and not worth scalping now , possiblity of ETH going POS making gpu redundant and no alternative coin ? Energy prices increasing ?

All them mining rigs with cards more going on the used market ? I see plenty of home miners with 5+ cards

Personally don't think the demand will be as high but I can see prices increasing for example 3080 Fe is £649 , 4080 fe £700-£750 ? you would hope AMD can compete so could help with pricing maybe AMD this time will do UK drops each one of them would wanna price them better. Also intel will be dumping cards into the market be it low/mid range

Last edited:
Soldato
We will see how low the dedicated miners will drop prices. Maybe they will maybe they won't. Bunch of idiots on here that won't touch a card that's been mined on despite everyone I've seen that really dedicated into the mining scene looks after their cards better than most gamers. Plus the cards are undervolted. There is absolutely no reason for a miner to treat their hardware badly for when many it's their Business.

Associate
We will see how low the dedicated miners will drop prices. Maybe they will maybe they won't. Bunch of idiots on here that won't touch a card that's been mined on despite everyone I've seen that really dedicated into the mining scene looks after their cards better than most gamers. Plus the cards are undervolted. There is absolutely no reason for a miner to treat their hardware badly for when many it's their Business.

People who want to buy new with a full warranty are idiots? I'm upgrading in the next few months and I plan to buy new, and I have to say I don't much care if it hurts the feelings of the mining community. It's not like they cared about driving GPU prices through the roof over the last couple of years.

Soldato
People who want to buy new with a full warranty are idiots? I'm upgrading in the next few months and I plan to buy new, and I have to say I don't much care if it hurts the feelings of the mining community. It's not like they cared about driving GPU prices through the roof over the last couple of years.

Of course not. Why would you be searching gumtree, facebook market place, ebay etc if you want brand new with warranty. I'm talking about those sniffing around market places expecting a huge price drop or simply asking moronic questions like "has it been mined on" when A) he/she could lie and say no and B) it doesn't matter because the cards are often more looked after than someone messing about with settings they know nothing about.

Associate
I was a bit confused seeing it in a 4000 series thread. I was thinking 'does this fella want me to wait another two years and buy a used 4080 from a miner?'. I think I'd still be an idiot if I was after a 3080 though... The prices on auction sites, this late in the product cycle...? Nope. I'd still buy new.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We will see I suppose. I predict I will have a 4070/80 FE within 3 months of launch. Probably a lot sooner.

Getting a 3060ti FE now to tied you over is not a bad call though.

Soldato

Similar here, brought the 1080ti when they were dumped on the market for cheap right before Turing launched, and then Turing launched with insane prices and built in space invaders.

Likewise brought my 2600X just before AMD 3000 cpu's launched and as I expected they had a significant price bump. Didnt regret either decision. Also brought now my 5600G cpu when its towards the end of the 5000 series life. Buying end of gen can often lead to cheaper purchasing price.

Associate
I was a bit confused seeing it in a 4000 series thread. I was thinking 'does this fella want me to wait another two years and buy a used 4080 from a miner?'. I think I'd still be an idiot if I was after a 3080 though... The prices on auction sites, this late in the product cycle...? Nope. I'd still buy new.
40 series will be LHR V3. Miners won’t touch them as their hash rates will be bad, very bad.

Soldato

Its been the same with each generation lately except with the last its been the worst ever and its down to miners. There are cards available now but only because demand from them has fallen off a cliff.

Back
Top Bottom