• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Which = big money savings too, less developers or/and less work hours required.

IIRC, UE 5 lumen method is just software accelerated RT, it's still ray tracing based at its core.

EDIT:

I read a very good post on reddit the other day about RT, probably a bit too long for most people though!

Yeah sorry, wasn't just referring to your post in general, I've seen a lot of people compare HDR to ray tracing, iirc, we even had a poll of what you would rather have..... i.e. people (not saying specifically you) seem to think they achieve similar things, when they don't, they don't even work in anywhere the same way.

Reason I'm explaining it is because people don't understand it as proven by comments like "it's a gimmick" :p It's far from a gimmick, again, hence why everyone from all brands and every developer studio is jumping on it regardless of who is sponsoring it.... Ray tracing is also not properietary based either.... hence why ray tracing works on amd (including consoles) and intel hardware.
Big money savings for the devs, don't for a second think we as customers will benefit from this.

Devs are already on the whole underpaid vs any other programming job, and again they won't pay devs more because they hire less; same as retailers, they just keep it as a savings.

The whole oled hdr rt thing is just perception of fidelity and that's pretty subjective.

Caporegime
Soldato
Sadly yup 4060ti or a 4060 super.. People called it a 4070 at start but that was being nice to Nvidia.

Don't fall for the naming really and look at the underlying tech, I never fell for the GTX 680s when that game started and never purchased a smaller chip pretending to be a top class 80/ti card and never will. Them games only work on people new to the hobby or computers in general.
Seems very few are getting this. Been saying it from the second the slides was revealed during the nvidia presentation. There is no real 4080 at this time. Period. Its so plain and easy to see.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Big money savings for the devs, don't for a second think we as customers will benefit from this.

Devs are already on the whole underpaid vs any other programming job, and again they won't pay devs more because they hire less; same as retailers, they just keep it as a savings.

The whole oled hdr rt thing is just perception of fidelity and that's pretty subjective.

Oh of course the devs. won't be seeing any of the savings, it'll be the stakeholders pocketing them savings.

The only benefit for us gamers is better visuals and potentially having games release sooner than later but obviously that will mean we need the games to be ful RT and not hybrid models.

Associate
The more posts I read on ray tracing from some people on here, the more I think people just associate "ray tracing" as a "nvidia thing" now (which is understandable given them pushing/investing in it especially with all the RTX branding, marketing people are doing their job well :p :D) hence the hate it gets. Will be interesting to see how peoples tune changes when amd start pushing it more heavily and/or are strong in it ;)

Intel are also getting behind it and marketing their hardware and toolkits for it:

i came across an article claiming intel outperformed nvidia in rt performance at the xx70 tier, i didnt read those claims in detail though

Caporegime
i came across an article claiming intel outperformed nvidia in rt performance at the xx70 tier, i didnt read those claims in detail though
Yup seen that too but haven't seen this from other sources outside of intels PR slides, wouldn't be surprised though as they are heavily backing it and AI related tools too.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
945bcc316a2b0e5b472124f00386de6d.jpeg

Associate
I used to upgrade to the next best every time. Like with my phone, I'm just not doing it anymore. 3090 is still solid, my 2.5 year old S20 Ultra is still great.
£1650 for a 4090......just no. Nvidia needs to know GPU's need to get back to everyman prices. NOBODY should buy one. I felt disgusting paying £1400 for my 3090, I didn't have a gpu at the time and I was after a 3070 but was pulled in by exciting consumerism.
I'm all for progress but at what cost!

Never mind, none of us will be able to afford the electric soon anyway

Caporegime
Probably because it doesn't come from AMD :D

I always laugh at the comments of "limited" usage scenarios and the way people always refer to only cp 2077 or control as the main RT games.... this shows how out of touch they are, same with the comments of, "only nvidia pay for it".... meanwhile, amd sponsored RT games: riftbreaker (my favourite one for RT), re 3 and 6 remakes + village, far cry 6, godfall, hitman, SE 5 (although very very very very basic), saints row and probably a few others as well as their upcoming games i.e. callisto protocol, not to mention, all the consoles powered by amd hardware running ray tracing where possible :cry: :D

Back
Top Bottom