• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
100%. I've had huge gains in games going from 3090FE to Asus Strix 4090. 4090 uses less power in some games too, which is very unexpected. More in others though.

Also saw a big jump when I replaced the 12900k with my 13900k in my z690 hero motherboard. Minimum FPS values especially, this is at 4K. Vast majority of games are now locked at 120fps on my CX48 OLED, or at 144fps when using my ASUS PG32UQ (displayport with DSC, 10bit RGB).
showoff.

Caporegime

production reduced and prices will come down next. AMD4 motherboards and even the intel boards are silly prices for the ddr5 pcie 5 boards.

That IMO is the main issue with the new 7000 chips. I think they are brilliant and super fast and reasoanbly priced but when I price up the ddr5 memory and look at £700 mobo, it starts and became more money than the 4090 was!!

Caporegime
I still don't understand how it works i was waiting on the Nvidia site just before 2pm on release day and as soon as it went live boom out of stock the only way anybody got one on launch day must have been using a bot.

No I know people who manually refreshed and saw the buy now button and got one. You just had to get lucky. But I honestly thin k they only had 50 cards, maybe 100 tops. Lets say they was 5000 online looking to buy, odds are that your f5 refresh coincides with stock showing up is very slim.

Associate
I still don't understand how it works i was waiting on the Nvidia site just before 2pm on release day and as soon as it went live boom out of stock the only way anybody got one on launch day must have been using a bot.

I miraculously managed to bag one by repeatedly hitting F5 just before/at 2pm. Saw it say buy and proceeded through checkout.
While others saw it instantly say OoS.
^ That's what happened to me during the 30 series launch and if it happened again I'd have just given up on this gen aswell.
Buying a new GPU has become an absolute **** show.

Soldato
100%. I've had huge gains in games going from 3090FE to Asus Strix 4090. 4090 uses less power in some games too, which is very unexpected. More in others though.

Also saw a big jump when I replaced the 12900k with my 13900k in my z690 hero motherboard. Minimum FPS values especially, this is at 4K. Vast majority of games are now locked at 120fps on my CX48 OLED, or at 144fps when using my ASUS PG32UQ (displayport with DSC, 10bit RGB).

They weren’t locked at 120 with a 12900k?

Associate
What hot spot temps are deemed normal these days, My Ichill X3 after 5 loops of Timespy extreme default fan curve and I am seeing almost a 15c delta and after an hour of gaming or so say for eg in A Plague Tale Requiem I have seen as high as 90c hotspot with core at around 76c.

I can't help but feel mine hasn't been assembled properly compared to some results I have seen, for eg some FE and some AIB reviews I have seen from some of the current 4090's available, Some have less than a 8-9c delta between both.

Is it worth messing about and repasting or does that void warranty these days, I don't really want to mess with it in all fairness I am just concerned as currently as we are approaching winter here and it is currently cool in this room on a well ventilated case, O11 Dynamic Xl with 12 Corsair QL 120's, 3 bottom intake, 3 Side intake, 1 rear exhaust and 3 top exhaust. h0UAwpn.png

Caporegime
What hot spot temps are deemed normal these days, My Ichill X3 after 5 loops of Timespy extreme default fan curve and I am seeing almost a 15c delta and after an hour of gaming or so say for eg in A Plague Tale Requiem I have seen as high as 90c hotspot with core at around 76c.

I can't help but feel mine hasn't been assembled properly compared to some results I have seen, for eg some FE and some AIB reviews I have seen from some of the current 4090's available, Some have less than a 8-9c delta between both.

Is it worth messing about and repasting or does that void warranty these days, I don't really want to mess with it in all fairness I am just concerned as currently as we are approaching winter here and it is currently cool in this room on a well ventilated case, O11 Dynamic Xl with 12 Corsair QL 120's, 3 bottom intake, 3 Side intake, 1 rear exhaust and 3 top exhaust. h0UAwpn.png
At what power limit? A picture of the full GPU HWINFO64 stats would help.

Soldato
Just listened to Cutress' latest video where he estimated the cost of a Ryzen 9 7950X so i thought I'd do the same for the AD102 (used in the 4090) and my back of the fag packet maths came up with $288.

If anyone has more accurate numbers they're welcome to give it a go themselves (web archive link to calculator) as i couldn't find exact dimensions for AD102 so assumed it was 24.5mm x 24.5mm (600mm sq) and used the $17k per wafer costs Ian cited in the video. I also don't know what the costs are for GDDR6X (or even the number / sizes they're using).

Like i said it's back of a fag packet maths but i thought it an interesting exercise to estimate the actual cost of a 4090.

Associate
At what power limit? A picture of the full GPU HWINFO64 stats would help.
That's at normal 100% power target, This card doesn't go over 100% and stock clocks also.

Memory temps are very good compared to what the 30x series were but for some reason I can't help but feel Inno have used maybe stiff memory pads hence better memory temps than core temps, I know the issues from the 3080 I had trying to get the right balance of viscosity of memory thermal pads if they were too hard core temp wouldn't make full proper contact and it looks like this is what I am seeing here.

I mean it's not the worst considering it's stock fan profile which is low on this Inno but I do these delta readings should be a little closer than what I am getting.

Back
Top Bottom