• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
so what's the biggest generational jumps in the past? the 4090 is basically 80-100% increase in non-cpu limited games. Including all games is 60%

Soldato
The thing is over two years ago that was the pinnacle. Your now comparing a brand new board on a shrunken process. Your also excusing the fact it even more expensive than the previous gen, I mean although a greater performance than 50% is nice, your certainly paying for that.
I mean that’s true but you’re well upwards from 50% with this generation of the technology so it’s feeling worth the outlay. Also having played the GPU game during the shortages before it’s not felt that bad to change now.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I mean that’s true but you’re well upwards from 50% with this generation of the technology so it’s feeling worth the outlay. Also having played the GPU game during the shortages before it’s not felt that bad to change now.

The other point is most people never felt the need or would have dreamed of being the £1k+ price bracket a few years back. If your accepting this is a 'good deal' then the only winner as far as I'm concerned is Jensen and his shareholders!

Soldato

Do you think it will be worth another 1K on top of what you paid this ime, in 2 years time?

Because that's where we are headed, how much was Turing just 4 years ago?

People on this very forum who defended Turing pricing to the hilt are now themselves priced out of the Halo card they bought every gen in the past...

Last edited:
Soldato
The current shake up is nvidia do not want to sell cheap inventory. They have effectively locked down the sub £1k price for the time being. Unless you are on Turing or earlier the current choices are what we had two years ago! This is not good for the gamers no matter what way you cut it. The unicorn of a £650 gpu that has 88% of the best cards performance wont occur again. All it has done is dragged up the mid tier and the low end to be higher prices than they should be. How on earth sensible thinkers can deduce your getting a good deal for £1600+..

Soldato
The current shake up is nvidia do not want to sell cheap inventory. They have effectively locked down the sub £1k price for the time being. Unless you are on Turing or earlier the current choices are what we had two years ago! This is not good for the gamers no matter what way you cut it. The unicorn of a £650 gpu that has 88% of the best cards performance wont occur again. All it has done is dragged up the mid tier and the low end to be higher prices than they should be. How on earth sensible thinkers can deduce your getting a good deal for £1600+..

Precisely, how easily people are conditioned.

Soldato
The 4090's level of performance is arguably a generation early.

As long as the old price points continue to advance at 20-30% per generation, manufacturers can make up whatever new price points they want.

The 3080 10gb @$700 was a decent value. If we can get something that outperforms that by 30% for $700(+inflation) then the market is still advancing at a decent pace. I hope the cancelation of the 4080 12gb leads to a proper generational uplift in that price bracket.

The 4090's performance , however, is way beyond that timeline. That level of performance should be available at the $700 price point *a couple generations from now*.

This is a weird position for me to be in. When Turing launched and we got no improvement to speak of at any price point, I was on the other side of the fence from people who were arguing that "more performance was just going to cost more money from here on out.".

I think the same money should buy more performance every generation in order to be real progress. That's why I argued that Turing was crap. When Ampere offered ~60% over my 1080Ti at $700, I saw that as an "acceptable" improvement over what Turing *should have offered*.

However, the 4090's performance uplift is outside of what I expect from the $700 generational performance trajectory, so I'm not mad about the pricing.

How fast will the other price points go? That's how I will measure this generations "progress".

Last edited:
Caporegime
so what's the biggest generational jumps in the past? the 4090 is basically 80-100% increase in non-cpu limited games. Including all games is 60%
8800gtx. In some games it was 250% faster than the previous fastest cad the amd 7950. From memory it was still the fastest card right up to when Nvidia replaced it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have a laptop with a 3080ti in and the screen is 1080p 360Hz ... seriously why 360Hz ? 120hz would have been more than enough for it and when connected to a external screen then higher resolutions available to make use of the 3080ti power, eg connected to 4k tv.

When I was on CRT monitors I would always set my refresh rate to 85hz and was perfect and remember first lcd screen with 60hz felt weird at first but got use to it then went 120hz and was like yes better but still to this day I swear the 85hz crt felt nicer to use than any flat screen lcd/oled monitor.
That’s down to the different natures between crt and lcd. In fact 60hz on a crt is better than most 100hz+ lcd screens. It’s only now we are finally starting to see lcd screens which are better than the crt scend we used to own. Hence why old quality crt monitos still change hands for stupid money

Soldato
Wow, it's not even been two weeks since the launch.

I wouldn't expect widespread availability at msrp for a month (or two). So far this feels like a normal launch to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, it's not even been two weeks since the launch.

I wouldn't expect widespread availability at msrp for a month (or two). So far this feels like a normal launch to me.

I find it depressing the way that NO ONE seems to have made any effort for this release to stop scalpers, low stock and over-pricing. You'd think they had enough warning. It's true that the price being what it is has reduced scalping, but I see no evidence that any new measures in place. The only thing that seems to have happened is NVIDIA and the retailers are now scalping instead of the scalpers!

Associate
How on earth sensible thinkers can deduce your getting a good deal for £1600+..
it has really improved my gaming experience (beyond what i expected) and gaming is my no.1 hobby. i'm happy with my purchase. i paid the same for a 3090 at xmas 2020.

Hype and being FOMO'd are additional factors
not for me. i have an old pc apart from psu/ram/gpu. i'm well overdue an upgrade. but i'm not doing it just yet, i have no fomo/hype reaction to newer gen cpu's etc. i will upgrade the rest of my pc but only when i'm convinced my gaming will significantly improve because of it, just like 4090 has done for me.

Soldato
it has really improved my gaming experience (beyond what i expected) and gaming is my no.1 hobby. i'm happy with my purchase. i paid the same for a 3090 at xmas 2020.

In so far as if nvidia are offering you simply a 4090 for >£1700 (have also unreleased one) and yet to buy the real 4080 for £1269 the choice of the hobbyist is not only limited but also about double what was from previous gens (think about the 1080 for £620, 2080 for £680, 3080 for £649). Some folk might be happy about that, but I think the majority will not be! :)

**correction by Purgatory

Last edited:
Soldato
In so far as if nvidia are offering you simply a 4090 for >£1700 (have also unreleased one) and yet to buy the real 4080 for £1050 the choice of the hobbyist is not only limited but also about double what was from previous gens (think about the 1080 for £620, 2080 for £680, 3080 for £649). Some folk might be happy about that, but I think the majority will not be! :)

RTX 4080 (16GB) Starting at £1,269

Prices are so silly really on these , I can't even take it seriously and the 4080 12GB was £950 msrp? before they tossed it out of the window. They really are making the 4090 look like the best buy even at its silly price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom