• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Poor Nvidia! This is just how much it costs to design GPUs this powerful and build them using tiny transistors. Go and have a look at Nvidia's gross margin and its operating margin - it's not changed. It feels like the AIB prices are a bit much but I bet their margins are not much better this generation compared to previous generations...otherwise why woud EVGA pull out of a market that accounts for c.90% of their profit. The retailers are probalby not seeing massive margins either - PC shipments were down almost 20% in Q3 according to Gartner's market research.

it's sad that top end SKUs are out of reach for a lot of folk, but there is little evidence to suggest price gouging.

The way that's worded made me think of thousands of deprived children in some far off land soldering teeny tiny transistors in to a chip. Please sir, can we have a some food? "NOT UNTIL YOU SOLDERED ANOTHER FIVE TRILLION, you lazy whelp".

Oh, and I am glad you agree their margin is GROSS! Truly gross. Blargh, makes me sick!

Last edited:
All games I played so far over past 2 years had it in some form. Cyberpunk, Dying Light 2, Far Cry 6, RE Village, Metro Exodus, Crysis remastered trilogy amongst others. Plague Tale, Elden Ring and Spiderman are next. Witcher remaster will also have it.
You are in a massive minority then, if you have not played any game in the last 2 years with no ray tracing.

Poor Nvidia! This is just how much it costs to design GPUs this powerful and build them using tiny transistors. Go and have a look at Nvidia's gross margin and its operating margin - it's not changed. It feels like the AIB prices are a bit much but I bet their margins are not much better this generation compared to previous generations...otherwise why woud EVGA pull out of a market that accounts for c.90% of their profit. The retailers are probalby not seeing massive margins either - PC shipments were down almost 20% in Q3 according to Gartner's market research.

it's sad that top end SKUs are out of reach for a lot of folk, but there is little evidence to suggest price gouging.
A 3080 on a 628mm die cost £649 while a 4080 on a 379mm die costs £1270 and you don't think nvidia is gouging?

You are in a massive minority then, if you have not played any game in the last 2 years with no ray tracing.
Maybe. Most games I play are AAA single player so they usually prioritize eye candy over FPS. Maybe MP shooters could be different. I have a huge backlog at the moment and almost all have RT support baked in or its incoming. Fully ray traced games like Metro Exodus, Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk are very rare but they look so good I play them occassionally just to soak in the atmosphere and graphics. Cyberpunk in the night time in a dark room on an OLED with RT Diffuse Illumination, RTGI and RT Reflections is in just another league altogether. Its the first game I fire up if I want to show off the 4090. The OLED does play a big part in that though.

Last edited:
Thanks to how much freedom the user has to tweak the game, Alex at DF was able to get pinpoint match between PC and consoles in Plagues Tale requiem.

He then tested performance against a whole bunch of GPU.

For anyone who is interested, the PS5 still appears to have the same gaming performance as an RTX2070.

And the top of the line RTX4090 is 4 times faster than the PS5

Thanks to how much freedom the user has to tweak the game, Alex at DF was able to get pinpoint match between PC and consoles in Plagues Tale requiem.

He then tested performance against a whole bunch of GPU.

For anyone who is interested, the PS5 still appears to have the same gaming performance as an RTX2070.

And the top of the line RTX4090 is 4 times faster than the PS5

Costs four times as much and at least four times more likely to catch fire too. :cry:

I have no interest in the 4000 series. Haven't really paid much attention to the discussions going on here but today at 2pm today ocuk announced in another thread rtx 4080s in stock now. At time of writing, 6 and a half hours since that thread appeared , not one single reply to it. Tumbleweed moment or what?

If AMD were ahead in ray tracing it would have been thrust down our throats 10 fold compared to Display Port 2.1.
If AMD were ahead in ray tracing, they would have charged the same prices as Nvidia but being the underdog everyone looks the other way. For instance, Steve from GN confirmed with several AIBs that the melting 4090 accounted for 0.05%-0.1% of total sales, which is virtually irrelevant but looking at the posts on Reddit, and the memes on r/pcmassterrace and r/AMD it seemed like the 4090 should come with a mandatory fire extinguisher and I got scared of using my GPU. Turns out the stats were painting a different story altogether.

Last edited:
We are in a worldwide recession it's time for these companies to take a haircut!
....shareholders have had their ar$e$ kicked this year! it's been painful.

A 3080 on a 628mm die cost £649 while a 4080 on a 379mm die costs £1270 and you don't think nvidia is gouging?
3080 was Samsung 8nm, 4080 is TSMC 4nm (which is actually 5nm). Costs are wayyy higher for the leading edge TSMC process.

Steve from GN confirmed with several AIBs that the melting 4090 accounted for 0.05%-0.1% of total sales, which is virtually irrelevant
I assure you, 0.05%-0.1% is most certainly not irrelevant - that's 1,250 to 2,500 4090s of (supposedly) the 250,000 nvidia claims to have sold.

*duh* math hard. :confused:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom