• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I hold my hands up and say that I don't know anything about the manufacturing process of graphics cards, but are they really still tweaking the configuration at this stage?
For anything to be launched this year, it's safe to assume that the retail dies have been/are being fabbed right now. The capabilities of the full dies are presumably set in stone now (for example, the full GA-104 for the 3070/Ti and the full GA-102 for the 3090/Ti) - what they're likely doing is seeing what kind of yields they're getting and deciding where to set the performance bar for each price point (with lesser cards like the 3060Ti using less functional dies). Things like memory capacity and bus bandwidth are decided on a board level (I believe) so can likely be tinkered with (a little) even as the chips are coming of the assembly line (so-to-speak). But yeah, they're gonna have to start locking things down so the AIBs can start manufacturing cards.

Associate
I hold my hands up and say that I don't know anything about the manufacturing process of graphics cards, but are they really still tweaking the configuration at this stage? Surely they know and, while they might throw some more power and cooling on them to provide a bit more horse power, the general configuration from both parties has been firm for months? That is assuming NV aren't pushing it back by a year. It sounds a little tinfoil hat to me that the other party is paying any attention to these "leaks" at all and changing their configuration strategy accordingly. But what do i know..
They could be, but whether they are or not doesn't have any bearing on whether they spam rumours of different configurations to mess with AMD.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@TNA

Can we get the axe grinding gif please :cry:

gIn3sMDLQLpUZrWZH_YT_ofqpIPqij1WQufZ0ihsrRk4x5NTT2AJwD_hW5XeT4PFEQ-7SPGTwPNuCGYas1P2__ydOq5hZFDm-A=s0-d

:cry:

Associate
For anything to be launched this year, it's safe to assume that the retail dies have been/are being fabbed right now. The capabilities of the full dies are presumably set in stone now (for example, the full GA-104 for the 3070/Ti and the full GA-102 for the 3090/Ti) - what they're likely doing is seeing what kind of yields they're getting and deciding where to set the performance bar for each price point (with lesser cards like the 3060Ti using less functional dies). Things like memory capacity and bus bandwidth are decided on a board level (I believe) so can likely be tinkered with (a little) even as the chips are coming of the assembly line (so-to-speak). But yeah, they're gonna have to start locking things down so the AIBs can start manufacturing cards.

if they're planning a large supply wouldn't they have to ship them by boat which is slow?

so the gpu's would have to be finalised by now inc packaging, even if flying a small shipment in by air they must be very advanced with manufacturing by now. the board designs and dies must be available and some have been assembled at least. i would think they may be at the tweaking firmware stage. i could be totally wrong though.

Associate
It generally takes 3+ months to fab to end state especially on a new advanced node like this cycle, so if something is expecting to ship this year they should be well on the way already.

Associate
if they're planning a large supply wouldn't they have to ship them by boat which is slow?
What makes you think they're expecting a large supply? Most current rumours have it that only the 4090 will be available to purchase this year and even then, I suspect it'll be a paper launch.

Associate
I would be rather hopeful that availability at launch will be much much better this time due to no covid and much lower mining. Of course it won’t be easy to get one at launch, but I would hope we would have a fighting chance. Or at the very least, being able to get one not long after launch.

The only question for me is whether to upgrade my 3600 to a 5800x3D with it, or go to AM5. I am leaning towards to the latter heavily, but it is a quandary. I could go 5800x3D and 3090TI now, but I’m not a lover of that prospect when we’re nearing the next gen

Either way, I seriously need an upgrade from my 3600 and 5700XT now

Soldato

so the gpu's would have to be finalised by now inc packaging, even if flying a small shipment in by air they must be very advanced with manufacturing by now. the board designs and dies must be available and some have been assembled at least. i would think they may be at the tweaking firmware stage. i could be totally wrong though.
Shipment by boat from China to the UK takes about 6 weeks. So if they were launching mid September, yes it would be finalised and the full production run would be under way.

They do have an option for air freight which favours small (lightweight), high value items. And that can be next day delivery regardless of where in the world it is coming and going to.

They could do an Apple and have launch stock come in by air and the rest of the items fulfilled by the boat shipment.

Caporegime
I would be rather hopeful that availability at launch will be much much better this time due to no covid and much lower mining. Of course it won’t be easy to get one at launch, but I would hope we would have a fighting chance. Or at the very least, being able to get one not long after launch.

The only question for me is whether to upgrade my 3600 to a 5800x3D with it, or go to AM5. I am leaning towards to the latter heavily, but it is a quandary. I could go 5800x3D and 3090TI now, but I’m not a lover of that prospect when we’re nearing the next gen

It really depends what resolutions you game at. If you game at 4k or higher (VR is commonly higher) then you don't 'need' an upgrade now just before the flippin new gen launches, that will lead to some serious buyers remorse. If you really are going to go the whole hog and have the money to spend on full system upgrade then have some patience and wait for the 78003DX and RTX4090 and build an uber-rig that will last the next 2 years of high-end gaming at 4k+. You're also going to need a new ATX3.0 PSU of 1200w or more.

If you 'only' game at 1440p then a 5800x3D and RTX3080 Ti would also likely last the next 2 years perfectly fine.

Associate

As mentioned, depends on your resolution. That's still a great card.

Soldato

I agree. I think this time around Nvidia will insist on having several thousand in stock on launch day in each country, tens of thousands for the bigger countries etc. That, coupled with higher prices, no lockdown, global recession, should mean it'll be possible to get the high end cards on launch day.

4080 = £850
4090 = £1600

Those are my estimates. Days of the £650 3080 (that many people got via FE from Nvidia) are gone, Nvidia won't make that mistake again.

4070 and lower will be hard to get for weeks/months though I suspect, as these are the cards the majority can afford to purchase and run, factoring in electricity costs and PSU requirements etc.

Associate
More changes:

Does seem to lend weight to the rumour that these will be launched sometime in 2023 (with just the 4090 this year).

Caporegime
More changes:

Does seem to lend weight to the rumour that these will be launched sometime in 2023 (with just the 4090 this year).
I think that is beyond a simple rumour at this point.

Soldato
I agree. I think this time around Nvidia will insist on having several thousand in stock on launch day in each country, tens of thousands for the bigger countries etc. That, coupled with higher prices, no lockdown, global recession, should mean it'll be possible to get the high end cards on launch day.

4080 = £850
4090 = £1600

Those are my estimates. Days of the £650 3080 (that many people got via FE from Nvidia) are gone, Nvidia won't make that mistake again.

4070 and lower will be hard to get for weeks/months though I suspect, as these are the cards the majority can afford to purchase and run, factoring in electricity costs and PSU requirements etc.
add no mining boom this time

Associate
It really depends what resolutions you game at. If you game at 4k or higher (VR is commonly higher) then you don't 'need' an upgrade now just before the flippin new gen launches, that will lead to some serious buyers remorse. If you really are going to go the whole hog and have the money to spend on full system upgrade then have some patience and wait for the 78003DX and RTX4090 and build an uber-rig that will last the next 2 years of high-end gaming at 4k+. You're also going to need a new ATX3.0 PSU of 1200w or more.

If you 'only' game at 1440p then a 5800x3D and RTX3080 Ti would also likely last the next 2 years perfectly fine.

I plan to do both. I currently game at 1440p on a 165hz monitor. Whilst my 5700xt has been serving me largely fine for that purpose, I would also like to game at 4K on a LG C2 (Dual monitor setup ; 1440p for work/competitive gaming and OLED for story games/immersion). As said, that obviously points to the next gen. The problem is, I'm a rather impatient person for one, and secondly, am concerned about using a new gen at launch that will require DDR5 and would possibly be susceptible to reliability issues of the new socket/gen. Another option I've been flirting with is staying on AM4 and going 5800X3D and then just upgrading the GPU to a 4000 series or 7000 AMD. That would save me having to get a new motherboard and RAM and should still fully push a next gen GPU seeing as we may be looking at 'only' a 10-15% increase on next gen CPU's (probably around 10% compared to 5800X3D).

I'm probably just being impatient and overly tight though. Going full next gen is very likely the best option. Although I doubt I would have the patience to wait for a 3D 7000 series chip as I highly doubt that will be available until some time after original launch of the new gen. Would probably just go with a 7900x or something.
The very best option is to wait for second gen on AM5 to get an even larger jump and DDR5 with much tighter timings. But there's no way in hell I'm waiting that long.

Associate
I disagree, better off with a PS5 rather than game at 1080P in 2022 with a 5700XT IMO.

It does 1440p well actually. I get over 100fps in many games and 60-70fps in more demanding ones. It's not fully pushing my 165hz monitor most of the time, granted, but it's definitely a 1440p card, not 1080p. It's a very decent card, just not quite powerful anymore to max out my monitor and defo not enough for proper 4K.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Another option I've been flirting with is staying on AM4 and going 5800X3D and then just upgrading the GPU to a 4000 series or 7000 AMD.

This is a nice option and would suit a lot of people. What we need to be sure on is the cost of the 4000 cards and when they will be available. If you do not want the high end your looking at next year by the sounds of it, you also need to think about your psu in case that needs upgrading too. If you choose this option you can at least stagger in the cpu while you wait.

Back
Top Bottom