• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
Going from a 3080, which is still a great card, to an overpriced 4070 ti Super is a SERIOUSLY bad "upgrade", for £800 you want nothing less than a 5080 which is 30% above a 4090, or at WORST a 5070 which is on par with a 4090 for around £600, anything less than that, and you just mugging yourself off and helping Jensen buy more leather jackets....
No you're right. I posted that before I saw the reviews, it's definitely not an option. I hoped the increased memory bus might bring it nearer to a 4080, but this is yet another turd.

Soldato
I'm wondering how much a 2nd hand 4080 will be come the 5 series. Maybe no warranty, £550? That would make a nice upgrade from my 3080Fe
Depends how good the 5070 is but I’d imagine it’ll be less than that, £450 I’d guess at assuming the 60ti sucks again and doesn’t match the 80 like it used to.

Soldato
2nd hand only works in certain conditions. It certainly would not be that good of a buy if everyone would do that. Is the same as "get job X, that pays well" in the job market.
As for playing old games, yeah, doing 1000hrs in Skyrim would have been definitely my top priority if I'd stuck with the R290 :))

Not at aimed at you, I always found it funny when people made a big deal out of PC desktop hardware prices, but they would pay a hell lot more on stuff like laptops, phones, all consoles, heck, just the body alone of a photo camera would cost more than the majority of the cards, even the 4090 would seem cheap in comparison, not to mention lenses...

My comment was not just 100% focused on the cost, but a large part in early adopter bugs too. Just look at the new power connectors for the high end cards melting and the associated hassles.

I'm happy to let the companies iron out the kinks and then buy a late cycle second hand card as my upgrade. Cheaper and less likely to have the early days problems. I'll probably go get a second hand 7900XTX at the end of this year or early 2025 from the MM.

Associate
I personally didnt join the 40 series card when they originally launched my 3080 10gb was sufficient but recently sold it in the lead up to the 40 super series coming. I am more than happy with the extra bit of performance the 4080super will provide at a hopefully lower cost than previously stated. Just a question of whether its FE variant or an AIB. I like the ASUS TUF and MSI Suprim but not sure i can justify the extra cost. I guess we will find out in a few days.

Soldato
1109 euros pricing for the 4080 Super :eek:

Just seen this on ocuk for an XTX model.

Asrock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card

GX-013-AK
starstarstarstarstar
(1)

£899.99

Last edited:
Soldato
Im going to be building a new machine when Zen 5 comes out and will probably just buy Nvidia however much they cost. The one advantage Nvidia do have that AMD doesn't even come close to is the CUDA platform/toolkit. For people that use it, unfortunately they are the only game in town :(

Associate
I am still in two minds, my head says AMD, based on what games I play, for rasterisation, but my heart says Nvidia as I would like to check out Ray Tracing and DLSS.

I will probably wait but with RTX 5000 series possible not due until 2025, how long can an upgrade be put off, already put it off since 2021.

Associate
I am still in two minds, my head says AMD, based on what games I play, for rasterisation, but my heart says Nvidia as I would like to check out Ray Tracing and DLSS.

I will probably wait but with RTX 5000 series possible not due until 2025, how long can an upgrade be put off, already put it off since 2021.
Sounds like you need to build two systems - keep both your head and your heart in a happy place.

Associate
At some point some of you need to let the Covid shortage trope go but many of you use it as some weird outrage to keep a narrative going.

Reality: "Hey these are available at MSRP and have been for some time"

Outage: "NOT FOR LONG! WHO KNOWS! LOL. Let me link an overpriced version that's been around since every generation as some baseline."

Literally can't go into any GPU thread without the page after page of the same trash.

Last edited:
Associate
Though my bank account will be screaming for me to stop.
In all seriousness, I swapped from a 3070 to a 7900XT because I wasn't overly fussed about raytracing. The Nvidia features that I do feel I'm missing are DLSS over FSR and I always liked enabling Reflex + Boost in games. Can't workout if it was placebo but it always felt a bit snappier.

Ultimately I'm happy with the choice I made for what I wanted as well as the price I paid, I play a lot of FPS games so raw rasterisation at med/low settings are what I'm after.

Soldato
90FE in stock ;)
Argh more spanners in the works. FOMO is gonna bite me hard here; a 4090 FE is three weeks' salary and then I'd have no choice but to repalce my whole rig...

Someone please give me a sanity a check, a virtual slap if you will. Regardless of what card I have now, and assuming I would upgrade my rig to be able to 'feed' the 4090FE, is buying a 4090FE at this stage in the 4000 series lifespan a truly stupid idea?

Last edited:
Soldato
Argh more spanners in the works. FOMO is gonna bite me hard here; a 4090 FE is three weeks' salary and then I'd have no choice but to repalce my whole rig...

Someone please give me a sanity a check, a virtual slap if you will. Regardless of what card I have now, and assuming I would upgrade my rig to be able to 'feed' the 4090FE, is buying a 4090FE at this stage in the 4000 series lifespan a truly stupid idea?
Consider yourself slapped!

I'm on a 3090FE and have managed to avoid getting a 4090FE. I only want FE cards for my build, they just look so good and the build quality is v high.
It's been quite easy for me to not upgrade this gen - I just can't justify that amount of money on a GPU anymore. I tend to upgrade every 2 gens so I've got my future eyes on a 5080 or hopefully 5070Ti or something for my next card.

Back
Top Bottom