• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
4080 super review next week? :)

Will be the most comical increase in performance from the 4080 original model, just priced at $1000 instead of $1200.. That's why it is getting released last as regular 4080s were going for less than $1000 anyways :rolleyes:, as they couldn't shift them to save their lives.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not feeling so bad with buying the 4070ti now the Super benchmarks have been released.

Thought the increased VRAM and Bus would boost performance quite a bit but turns out it's done very litle.

Reddit having a meltdown because the 'bUt tHe VRAM' crowd are having to eat their words.

Bwahahaha. The ones here disappeared also :D

Associate
a website where you can configure your pcs and see all the prices (stupid filter) has some prices for the 4080 supers.
starting at £959.99 (gigabyte windforce)

could be placeholders only though

Last edited:
Soldato
a website where you can configure your pcs and see all the prices (stupid filter) has some prices for the 4080 supers.
starting at £959.99 (gigabyte windforce)

could be placeholders only though

That's the MSRP and there will be some cards at that price. How many and how fast they'll sell though is unknown. The FE will be gone in seconds but unsure about AIB models.

Associate
I'm considering a 4070 Ti Super if they go for 800 quid, which they most likely won't. Pointless upgrading to anything other than a 16Gb VRAM card from where I am now.
Going from a 3080, which is still a great card, to an overpriced 4070 ti Super is a SERIOUSLY bad "upgrade", for £800 you want nothing less than a 5080 which is 30% above a 4090, or at WORST a 5070 which is on par with a 4090 for around £600, anything less than that, and you just mugging yourself off and helping Jensen buy more leather jackets....

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Going from a 3080, which is still a great card, to an overpriced 4070 ti Super is a SERIOUSLY bad "upgrade", for £800 you want nothing less than a 5080 which is 30% above a 4090, or at WORST a 5070 which is on par with a 4090 for around £600, anything less than that, and you just mugging yourself off and helping Jensen buy more leather jackets....

That won't happen unfortunately. Those days are gone. Even AMD don't do that anymore, forget Jensen.

Soldato
Which is what makes the FE at £959 a relative steal for the performance, especially with AIB 4070 Ti SUPERs at £900 as mentioned earlier.

I'd be after one myself if I didn't already have a 4090.
4080S is not a steal, its terrible value. All Nvidia has done is delete the other 102 cards like we got with last gen and priced the 3070ti equivalent at a grand.

Pretty much the same gap between a 4080 and 4090 as there was between a 3070ti and 3090 and don't forget the 4090 has a more cut down die than the 3090.

This is pretty much what we are left with this gen.

Screenshot-740.png

Screenshot-739.png

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Well I wouldn't pay for any of the current gpus with 12gb anyway as the grunt simply isn't there either.

Only gpu(s) to have acceptable grunt going forward imo are the 4090 and 7900xtx (if you don't care for RT)

Yeah. The pricing just does not make sense.

4090 performance needs to come down to 3 figures next gen which I think it surely will. But mrk does not even think second hand ones will. Reminds me of Titan users in denial :cry:

Soldato
I only ever buy 2nd hand cards these days. Let the early adopter tax/faults get sorted out by others.

Or you keep going with what you've got. Whether it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or more generations old. If you don't have a PC/GPU there's always the 2nd hand market.

Keep lowering the details and/or resolution (or for most, let the game handle choosing the gfx settings itself).

I don't think anyone is forced into paying the prices nVidia is asking this gen. As evidenced by plenty of us not buying and still playing the odd PC game :p

Of course the continual gouging does make consoles more attractive. Quite a few of us will also have PS5s or whatever, as it's not an either/or thing.

It must be fairly obvious to game developers when people stop upgrading and keep using what they've got. So they in turn would adapt to whatever the average gamer is using (if they want to sell anything).
2nd hand only works in certain conditions. It certainly would not be that good of a buy if everyone would do that. Is the same as "get job X, that pays well" in the job market.
As for playing old games, yeah, doing 1000hrs in Skyrim would have been definitely my top priority if I'd stuck with the R290 :))
It just doesn't sit well with me. Regardless of having the money or not (or permission from your other half or not :p) I could never put down that amount of money on something so frivolous. I would feel terrible if I did.

And it would be a capitulation to the outright greed of companies like nVidia.

Not at aimed at you, I always found it funny when people made a big deal out of PC desktop hardware prices, but they would pay a hell lot more on stuff like laptops, phones, all consoles, heck, just the body alone of a photo camera would cost more than the majority of the cards, even the 4090 would seem cheap in comparison, not to mention lenses...

Soldato
I wouldn't do that :p

I've bought cards that have been mined on before (though I don't think the seller owned up to it) and they've been fine. If I bought something on here from a known good seller and it worked fine when it arrived I'd take the chance. Paying a grand for a 2nd hand 4090 now that is proper scary.

I know it's awful but 2 years interest free credit (like you get on a new iPhone) would remove barriers

Back
Top Bottom