• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

OcUK Staff
How long you do plan to hold that 959 quid price?

Whilst the pound remains at 1.27 and the board partners don't try increasing the cost, then we should be able to hold it, however supply could also impact our ability to do this, first of all lets see how demand is, if its reasonable the price should hold, if its crazy and supply does not improve pricing will go up.

What I will say is we do expect to sell out and I know more stock will take a while due to Chinese New Year, so once we sell out decent replenishments probably won't be until towards end of the month, but I hope board partners can keep supply going, only a couple of brands are doing MSRP, as a hint to forum members £959 cards will be Zotac and Gainward, the latter we have the best supply off.

Associate
Whilst the pound remains at 1.27 and the board partners don't try increasing the cost, then we should be able to hold it, however supply could also impact our ability to do this, first of all lets see how demand is, if its reasonable the price should hold, if its crazy and supply does not improve pricing will go up.

What I will say is we do expect to sell out and I know more stock will take a while due to Chinese New Year, so once we sell out decent replenishments probably won't be until towards end of the month, but I hope board partners can keep supply going, only a couple of brands are doing MSRP, as a hint to forum members £959 cards will be Zotac and Gainward, the latter we have the best supply off.
Appreciate the clarification Gibbo.

Soldato
Soldato
Personally I think anyone with a 3080/Ti/3090 would be better off waiting for the 5 series, and that includes me.
I keep seeing people say that but I don't get it. Isn't the 4080super double the speed of the 3080 and more then double when heavy RT is involved. It makes sense to me to upgrade for double to speed if you have had a 3080 over 3 years ago. Waiting over 4 years between upgrades is to long. I tend to upgrade every 2 or 3 years not 4+

Soldato
I keep seeing people say that but I don't get it. Isn't the 4080super double the speed of the 3080 and more then double when heavy RT is involved. It makes sense to me to upgrade for double to speed if you have had a 3080 over 3 years ago. Waiting over 4 years between upgrades is to long. I tend to upgrade every 2 or 3 years not 4+

I can only speak for myself and the 3440x1440 rez I play at, and the 100Hz UW monitor I use.

Out of a few games my 3080 Ti struggled at with settings at max, a couple that spring to mind are Cyberpunk 2077, with path tracing, Jedi Survivor and Starfield.

All benefit massively with the recent FG mod, I can now reach 80fps in CP77, and 100fps in JS and SF.

So yeh, for me, the 4 series hold little appeal, considering the not inconsiderate outlay to buy one.

Last edited:
Associate
If you’re at the point where you desperately need that extra performance, go for it, otherwise you know the 5080 will outdo the 4080 so why waste the money.

My 3080 holds up at 1440p - I might go 4K once the new LG monitors launch so 5XXX series lines up with my needs.

Soldato
Its not double the speed its about 50% at best before FG.

I went from a 3080 to a 4080 and was a bit underwhelmed except for the awesome efficiency. I kept it for about 2 months then went for a 4090.This is at 3440x1440 UW.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you’re at the point where you desperately need that extra performance, go for it, otherwise you know the 5080 will outdo the 4080 so why waste the money.

My 3080 holds up at 1440p - I might go 4K once the new LG monitors launch so 5XXX series lines up with my needs.
The problem with waiting is you spend a year or two with poor performance. There is always something better around the corner so waiting is a game that doesn't really pay off past a certain point. I know peoples circumstances are different but for me waiting 4 years between upgrades is to long. I would rather upgrade between 2 to 3 years depending on the state of current games and GPU's in that cycle. The 3080 is already struggling in games like Alan Wake with full RT and enjoying games like that now with a 4080 super makes more sense to me then waiting an extra year or longer. There is no guarantee the 5xxx will be out in the next 12 months in fact it think its more likely it will be more then 12 months. If I wait and it is next year that for me will be 5 ish years between getting a 3080 and moving to a 5xxx.

Soldato
Can we please have a quick recap. Any of these new super cards worth buying over the current stack (thinking more towards the slightly 'lower end' 4070 area) ?

The 4070 SUPER offers a decent bump over the old 4070 at the same price. You're looking at slightly faster than a 3080 but with 12GB VRAM and 40-series stuff like DLSS 3 for £529 MSRP which is decent value by 40-series standards.

The 4070 Ti SUPER is a damp squib, barely 4% faster than the 4070 Ti it replaces and 12GB VRAM isn't enough at the £770 MSRP.

The 4080 SUPER will be 3-4% faster than the outgoing 4080 but is a fair bit cheaper at £959 MSRP.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
The 4080 Super will offer a minor speed bump as the core count increases from 9728 cores too 10,240 cores and memory speed increases from 22,400MHz too 23,000MHz. As to whether NVIDIA has made any other improvements/optimisations is unknown, core clocks are similar so as others have posted expect a 3-5% performance boost, however the good news is it cost less.

OcUK will have product in stock tomorrow at 2pm from £959 inc. VAT, admittedly we are expecting MSRP stock to sell fast and supply is pretty thin on ground, but saying that we have several SKU's.
@8myers8 :)

Caporegime
The problem with waiting is you spend a year or two with poor performance. There is always something better around the corner so waiting is a game that doesn't really pay off past a certain point. I know peoples circumstances are different but for me waiting 4 years between upgrades is to long. I would rather upgrade between 2 to 3 years depending on the state of current games and GPU's in that cycle. The 3080 is already struggling in games like Alan Wake with full RT and enjoying games like that now with a 4080 super makes more sense to me then waiting an extra year or longer. There is no guarantee the 5xxx will be out in the next 12 months in fact it think its more likely it will be more then 12 months. If I wait and it is next year that for me will be 5 ish years between getting a 3080 and moving to a 5xxx.

You've just posted my exact experience!! I could wait but..
My 3070 ti really struggles in The Witcher 3 RT/Alan Wake RT and Ratchet and Clank RT. I even have to use DLSS in Battlefield 2042 zzzzzzz

Associate
That’s exactly my point though. You’re clearly not getting the most out the games you play so an upgrade makes sense.

We’ve hit a wave of new semi-next-gen games, which makes upgrading more meaningful, as opposed to when the cards launched. It’s not like the 4080 isn’t a strong card.

Soldato

Read my response to your initial post, I don't have poor performance, far from it.

Back
Top Bottom