• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
So I've got a bit of situation. I've just bought a 5800x3D to upgrade from my 5600x but I've seen to get the most out of it I need to upgrade my 3070. I kind of want to stay with NVidia as the games I play like Tarkov and Dayz seem to have better performances than AMD. The 4080 is obviously a rip off but anything below that I don't see as a big enough upgrade to take. I play at 1440p by the way. Any advice?
4070s - but you'll notice enough of a gain from going from a 5600x to a 5800x3D to delay an upgrade if you wanted.

Tarkov also eats cache for breakfast so the 5800x3D is already a great improvement for that game.

Associate
I will wait for the 5080 to come out, not impressed with the 4080 Super.

If my trustee 1070 fails I will probably get a 4070 Super or a 7800XT, but nothing higher is really worth spending my money on.

For cards on £800 or over I just expect more and not at best, Meh.
I feel like the RTX5080 will basically be what the RTX4090 is now with maybe a few extra fps, like the difference between the 4080/4080super is. Plus it likely to come out with the higher rrp £1,200. So I might get a super if I can find a good one at rrp. There not many games on the horizon I can see that is really going to demand this level of power now anyway, unless 4k is a hill your willing to die on. I mean for me I mainly still a gamer due to VR, it a real shame that high end VR projects are really rare, so this eat all the current games for breakfast!

Associate
I feel like the RTX5080 will basically be what the RTX4090 is now with maybe a few extra fps, like the difference between the 4080/4080super is. Plus it likely to come out with the higher rrp £1,200. So I might get a super if I can find a good one at rrp. There not many games on the horizon I can see that is really going to demand this level of power now anyway, unless 4k is a hill your willing to die on. I mean for me I mainly still a gamer due to VR, it a real shame that high end VR projects are really rare, so this eat all the current games for breakfast!
I have the feeling that the 5080 will be around the same price as a 4080, but I will wait with the little hope I have left that the 5080 will be back to more reasonable prices.

Soldato
I’m sure people thought the same about the 2080S, then Nvidia dropped the 3080 at the same price and 60% faster.

Associate
Am on 3070 still was going to get a 4080 super but the reviews are changing my mind , looks best bet is just to get a 4070 super for now ...........it all doing my head in lol
yea, if I NEEDED a new card AND played RT, 4070S is ok
If I also needed high rez AND high refresh rate, 4080S is ok (but 7900XTX also considered)

So far I convinced myself that until I get one of those new 32" 4K 240Hz OLEDs, 3070 will serve me fine.
And maybe it can stretch to next gen. AMD is rumored to release a midrange price card with 4080S performance

Associate
So after today's release (and also having a discount available) my mind was made up, I was sitting on the fence with a ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, went through the reviews of the 4080 Super and given the price and discount I had available I pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte Aorus 4080 Super MASTER, worked out only £50 more than the Taichi with local collection available from the store, to give me the added option of DLSS and RT on my OLED 240hz monitor, no-brainer.

Don
Associate
shows how messed up things are when I hear 4090 is the buy when it costs £1,579.00 haha, right into nvidia's laps :p

Can this all the traced back to the OG Titan card, slowly imprinting the idea of spending absurd money on the top tier card? I know the 8800 ULTRA was a fair whack but that was an oddity, or seemed to be at the time.

Caporegime
Nvidia needs to be giving a free pair of boxers with the 4080 super for all the pants there pulling down ......I just wish I got a 4090 day one now as cannot see my 3070 lasting till 5000 cards ....

They should be ******* embarrassed giving it the name 'super'. About 1% faster? What's 'super' about that? Yeah they lowered the price but its still a few hundred too expensive for what it is.

Man of Honour
shows how messed up things are when I hear 4090 is the buy when it costs £1,579.00 haha, right into nvidia's laps :p

With the 4090 at least you get something close to high end hardware and a meaningful performance increase over last gen for your money, unlike most of the rest of the 4000 series.

Associate
They should be ******* embarrassed giving it the name 'super'. About 1% faster? What's 'super' about that? Yeah they lowered the price but its still a few hundred too expensive for what it is.
At the really poor cost/performance the non super had, it shouldn't be hard to do better, should it?
Zgdegtq.png

(squished the middle to show the extremes).

If the had launched at $800 things might have been better but for a 2nd tier cards this is a pretty poor showing and even versus the overprice plain 4080 it has only improved the 20% we expected from the new MSRP.

Associate
Nvidia needs to be giving a free pair of boxers with the 4080 super for all the pants there pulling down ......I just wish I got a 4090 day one now as cannot see my 3070 lasting till 5000 cards ....
That is why I don't wait with upgrades too long - I always get good monies selling current GPU/CPU etc. and getting new one. Never had any issues with that either. One can wait forever, I rather enjoy things now. Though, if 1 generation jump is too small, I skip it, unless I have to add close to £0 for such upgrade. Life is too short for waiting. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom