• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I can't see that happening at all. The FG tech will improve, but it will cover all supported RTX cards. What we will see is just the power and speed bump on 50 series at this point.

Also, nv saturation continues:

You would say that though with your 4090. That said I agree with you.

Oh and good riddance banana man and welcome back mrk :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Now using an undervolt instead of power limit that I've had since day 1. UV has resulted in the same or lower power draw (330W average), whilst fps has increased by as much as 10fps, benchmarks have gone up to. Core at 2730MHz, mem at +1100MHz and voltage at 975mV. Fan speed is now slightly lower too around 1400rpm when gaming, and as such temps are lower too by a few degrees.

A win win.

Soldato
Me too. I tried the 80% power limit a lot of users recommended but had better results with a custom volt curve. I don't think mine goes over 250w and only loses a few frames to the default.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Technically undervolting isn't overclocking really, you're basically lowering the voltage curve which is over-provisioned by default anyway, and telling it to stay in boost clocks more often which is well within its normal operating range anyway. VRAM gains are trivial anyway as there's a mountain of headroom left by default. I've been conservative with mine as it seems a +1150MHz OC to VRAM is my max so settled on +1100.

The good thing is that given these cards have been out for what 2 years now? Everyone else has done the hard work of finding the mean averages for the best UV values to use, best VRAM clocks, best sustained 24/7 core clocks and the realisation that the VRAM has loads of wiggle room.

It can also be argued that you're safer power limiting or undervolting this way vs leaving it stock. Less heat, less power, bump in performance by as much as 10fps etc.

Soldato
I powerlimited my 4090FE at 70% as I'm running it on a Seasonic 750w PSU, and I couldn't be more happier with the speed, temps and quietness of it. In fact it's been more stable than my previous 3090FE which rarely would trip the PSU with a high transient voltage spike.

I might try an undervolt if that can get a few FPS back, but most often I'm CPU limited rather than GPU limited (And that's on a 5900X). I'm mainly using it for PCVR and it's outstanding for that.
Hopefully when I upgrade to the next gen of AMD I'll be able to max it out a bit more.

Associate
I got 7375 in that new 3DMark test with a 4080

Unfortunately, it was explained to me the HOF has quite a few glitched runs in it just now, especially with 4090s. Some way to cheat or something with VRAM glitching?

Anyway, the above required like 1.185v at 3.255ghz and 630w lol.

Edit - Just noticed there is a steel nomad topic.

Last edited:
Associate
After pondering for ages, I finally jumped on the 4070 Super, which arrived from OC today.
Replacing my 3060ti FE, I was not chasing extreme performance, but wanted a boost without lots of noise & heat. Especially as I had moved to 1440p.
The 3060ti has served me well, but it can get hot. even undervolted, it could hit 75 degrees. Not good in a loft bedroom.
I went backwards and forwards with reviews, narrowed it down to the Asus Dual, then bought the Zotac Super Trinity Black. :p
Also bought the corsair 12vhpwr cable for my RM750, just to keep things tidy.

Have to say, very impressed so far. Install was a breeze. Build quality is more than adequate. Its a hefty beast.

Of course, I had to run some initial tests.
Timespy score out of the box - 17580
UV 2550 @ 900mv, Mem +1200 - 17122 - This will be my summer curve. GPU did not hit 60 degrees, and fans never reached 1200 rpm. Max 179 watts
UV 2745 @ 975mv, Mem +1200 - 18009 - Peak temp 65 degrees, fans still spinning slowly, max 209 watts

By no means spectacular, but has done exactly as I hoped. I suspect when I have more time, I could squeeze some more out of it quite easily.
Really glad I went for the Zotac. Never had any of their kit before, but if you have the room, the cooler does a decent job and has a decent fan curve out of the box.
Thankfully, there is no coil whine (That I can hear), but the case is a quiet one anyway and its under the desk. (Plus it hides the RGB logo).

Is it overpriced? Probably. But I fancied an upgrade and wanted it now. So it is what it is.

Thanks to Overclockers for the excellent service as usual.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Won't ever go near CableMod again. First off with their adaptor recall that I'd just bought then told it's not safe to use, but now the 12VHPWR cable I got from them has started to fail. I noticed recently my PC would just go to a black screen and GPU fans would go full speed, PC was fine as audio was still going and stuff still happening, but display just died. Was worried my 4090 was on its way out but then ditched the CableMod cable and went back to the one supplied with the 4090 and the issue has gone. Terrible quality stuff and a massive waste of money

Last edited:
Associate
Won't ever go near CableMod again. First off with their adaptor recall that I'd just bought then told it's not safe to use, but now the 12VHPWR I got from them has started to fail. I noticed recently my PC would just go to a black screen and GPU fans would go full speed, PC was fine as audio was still going and stuff still happening, but display just died. Was worried my 4090 was on its way out but then ditched the CableMod cable and went back to the one supplied with the 4090 and the issue has gone. Terrible quality stuff and a massive waste of money
I came soooo close to buying one of their adaptors, then held back as I saw the first posts about problems with them here just before I clicked throguh the order. With hindsight, I find it really sus that they were so quick to start marketing an adator before the cause of the problems with the Nvidia-supplied adaptors had even been diagnosed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
So this is what the 4090 is capable of at over 4K res in Unreal Engine 5.3.2 :eek:

h0YIUMx.jpeg

That's at 5160x2160 using DLAA + Frame Gen. Now yes there is noticeable mouse camera input lag at this res with DLAA, to mitigate that DLSS Performance should be used instead of DLAA, but if using a controller, then no input lag is noticed at all so can play with DLAA with zero issues, just super smooth framerates with averages always over 100fps lol.

Quite insane. These figures would be even better in games that utilise DLSS 3.5 to replace the RT denoisers with the single AI pass. UE5.3+ natively support DLSS 3.5, the dev has to just enable it of course.

The above was after 50 minutes of gaming in that one session. Quite insane I must say.

Last edited:
Soldato
So this is what the 4090 is capable of at over 4K res in Unreal Engine 5.3.2 :eek:

h0YIUMx.jpeg

That's at 5160x2160 using DLAA + Frame Gen. Now yes there is noticeable mouse camera input lag at this res with DLAA, to mitigate that DLSS Performance should be used instead of DLAA, but if using a controller, then no input lag is noticed at all so can play with DLAA with zero issues, just super smooth framerates with averages always over 100fps lol.

Quite insane. These figures would be even better in games that utilise DLSS 3.5 to replace the RT denoisers with the single AI pass. UE5.3+ natively support DLSS 3.5, the dev has to just enable it of course.

The above was after 50 minutes of gaming in that one session. Quite insane I must say.

Which game was used for this test ? You didn't state, could be pong for all we know .. especially with all the black in that screen shot..;)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That was a piece of non black background in the game scene, needed a clean dark area of scene so the figures were clear :p

Game is Still Wakes the Deep, but the same would apply to Hellblade 2 as well (UE 5.4) which is similarly well optimised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom