• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
A French review site has put out a mini review for the Strix 3090.

Its a beast of a card, they've manage to take a top 10 port royal score with just stock cooling while all other top 10 spots are using ln2, dry ice, iced water, portable AC.

asus-rog-rtx-3090-strix-gpu-ampere-overclocking-5.jpg

asus-rog-rtx-3090-strix-gpu-ampere-benchmark-port-royal-overclocking.jpg

asus-rog-rtx-3090-strix-gpu-ampere-overclocking-1.jpg
Strix or strix oc?

Caporegime
just using some scaling we can sort of calculate it

the 3090 has 20% more SMs than the 3080 yet is only 10-15% faster.

The 3080 is 30% faster than the 2080ti

The 3080 has 45% more SMs than the 3070, so it should be about about 25% slower than than the 3080 (relative to the 2080ti) making it 5% faster than the 2080ti.

However while its easy to compare we can't just look at SM units, memory bandwidth is significant different between these cards and it's harder to measure the impact that has. But generally speaking the 3070 has less bandwidth than the 2080ti so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that it will perform worse in high bandwidth loads like a AAA game running at 4k. On top of that, the amount allocated gets lower down the stack - the 3090 and 3080 is allocated 11.5GB/s bandwidth per SM while the 3070 only gets 9.3GB/s per SM
just using some scaling we can sort of calculate it

the 3090 has 20% more SMs than the 3080 yet is only 10-15% faster.

The 3080 is 30% faster than the 2080ti

The 3080 has 45% more SMs than the 3070, so it should be about about 25% slower than than the 3080 (relative to the 2080ti) making it 5% faster than the 2080ti.

However while its easy to compare we can't just look at SM units, memory bandwidth is significant different between these cards and it's harder to measure the impact that has. But generally speaking the 3070 has less bandwidth than the 2080ti so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that it will perform worse in high bandwidth loads like a AAA game running at 4k. of that, the amount allocated gets lower down the stack - the 3090 and 3080 is allocated 11.5GB/s bandwidth per SM while the 3070 only gets 9.3GB/s per SM

thing is Nvidia is always careful to run the cards at stock speeds as comparisons. All the 3 series are close to their max limit whereas every 2080ti overclocked more.

That makes the gap much bigger than it is in reality. I reckon once out the 3070 will be slightly slower overall than a 2080ti but that’s good for the money it should cost and not the £669 asus wants for the strix version

Caporegime
It looks distinctly like the 3070 is actually going to be just slightly faster than a 2080 Super, unless you happen to have a game that supports both DLSS and RTX, then it will be more like a 2080 Ti + a bit extra.

The pricing seems to be somewhat optimistic as well, at £550 is going to end up the price for most AIB cards, other than the non-premium brands.

asus strix 3070 oc is rumoured to be £669, more than a vanilla 3080

Caporegime
And the fact that I have seen in a few places now that they only had between 2000 and 5000 cards worldwide to buy on launch day.

people buying on ocuk could have bought all of that three times over.

Man of Honour
And the fact that I have seen in a few places now that they only had between 2000 and 5000 cards worldwide to buy on launch day.

people buying on ocuk could have bought all of that three times over.

Been the case for most GPU launches in the past 5000-10000 units world wide not unusual, I think people underestimate the sheer demand this time around as well - the kind of volume that has typically shipped in the past in the weeks after launch wouldn't clear the Ampere backlog for like 2-4 months - not to mention the impact coronavirus has had on production and shipping.

Caporegime
Been the case for most GPU launches in the past 5000-10000 units world wide not unusual, I think people underestimate the sheer demand this time around as well - the kind of volume that has typically shipped in the past in the weeks after launch wouldn't clear the Ampere backlog for like 2-4 months - not to mention the impact coronavirus has had on production and shipping.
That demand for this launch was going to be crazy high, fuelled by the purposeful hype generated by Nvidia, countless techtubers and forums, and following an unsatisfying Turing generation where many people saved their upgrade, was mind-numbingly obvious. They purposefully launched early and they had wholly insufficient stocks to do it with, in addition to a ****-show of an ordering system.

Last edited:
Associate
Don't forget you also have an army of people who have been working from home, saving on commuting etc and fancy treating themselves as they will be stuck there for next 6 months+

Back
Top Bottom