• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Exactly what @TNA spotted/did and I got on that bandwagon days after. Seems to have been a good choice with the prices ever creeping up for goods.

The queues favoured no-one but the retailers, they had no cards, no hope of getting you one but they had your money anyway, and people just sat there like garden gnomes and accepted it. The levels of consumer naivete these days absolutely baffles me, they're even on forums where other people have got the cards (via discord/alerts etc) they're are queueing for and have been for months, and still they sit there, waiting for emails about queue positions! - people waving in front of their faces the very cards they could/should have had, and still it hasn't sunk in that retailers are selling someone else THIER card, while also holding onto THEIR money and order...two sales for the price of one really!

:D

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
@Darujhistan I think some of them cling on as the price they secured the cards at was low, MSRP or currently at a loss for the retailer. That's why I think they are dragging their feet in the hope the person cancels the order.

We are at four months on from that moment, shocked that people have still not got a card where the price alert route can get you an FE with a bit of effort..

Soldato
@Darujhistan I think some of them cling on as the price they secured the cards at was low, MSRP or currently at a loss for the retailer. That's why I think they are dragging their feet in the hope the person cancels the order.

We are at four months on from that moment, shocked that people have still not got a card where the price alert route can get you an FE with a bit of effort..

I can see that, they might get a cheaper card eventually but they've lost 6 months or so of usage so there's also value in getting a card earlier too, so swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
The queues favoured no-one but the retailers, they had no cards, no hope of getting you one but they had your money anyway, and people just sat there like garden gnomes and accepted it. The levels of consumer naivete these days absolutely baffles me, they're even on forums where other people have got the cards (via discord/alerts etc) they're are queueing for and have been for months, and still they sit there, waiting for emails about queue positions! - people waving in front of their faces the very cards they could/should have had, and still it hasn't sunk in that retailers are selling someone else THIER card, while also holding onto THEIR money and order...two sales for the price of one really!

Lol yep

Caporegime

Yep, all true. Luckily I have now got a way to order without any up front payment (only charged when it ships) so I will never have that issue again.

Giving someone your money in advance for many weeks and months, without any real knowledge of when you will get the item, is just nuts. It's just damn PC hardware and the hoops people now have to go through it get it makes it seem as though you are lining up to buy the Mona ******* Lisa.

Soldato
Yep, all true. Luckily I have now got a way to order without any up front payment (only charged when it ships) so I will never have that issue again. Giving someone your money for many weeks, without any real knowledge of when you will get the item, is just nuts. It's just damn PC hardware and the hoops people now have to go through it get it makes it seem as though you are lining up to buy the Mona ******* Lisa.

Exactly, i'll never pre-order anything or hand over any money without my order being fulfilled there and then. Too many people have completely lost sight of what equitable terms of transaction are.

Associate
I mean I ordered my gigabyte 3080 for 730 on the day and waited in the queue until mid December when i received the card. I paid around RRP and have a card where many many others don't. I did have a relatively low position in the queue at around 250 but for me it was worth it.

Soldato
What would be the best discord for stock alerts? Also do FEs ever come in stock and are retailers allowed to gouge them as well?
Thanks!

PartAlert is pretty good.

FE 3060ti and 3070 appeared last week. 3080 FE hasn't been seen since 23rd December, and half the discords missed that one.

The FEs only retail at MSRP.

Soldato
It does feel like right now PC gaming is gonna take back seat and let the consoles drive in front for a year or so.

Firstly we cant buy any hardware. Then you've got a bunch of games which are console exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider Man and Demon Souls.

What chance is there that those will come to PC? Very little.

Let alone the whole back log of games I have never played: God of War, The Last of Us etc...

I'm seriously considering a PS5 this generation.

Soldato
It does feel like right now PC gaming is gonna take back seat and let the consoles drive in front for a year or so.

Firstly we cant buy any hardware. Then you've got a bunch of games which are console exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima, Spider Man and Demon Souls.

Let alone the whole back log of games I have never played: God of War, The Last of Us etc...

Consoles have been equally hard to source. My fail safe plan was if I couldn't snag a 6800XT just get a PS5. Luckily I bought my card as the very next day when the consoles were meant to be 're-stocked' all the major retailers declared there was none.

Caporegime

People post this same stuff all the time in different forms, but:

1) You are right about buying PC hardware being difficult... but then you can't easily buy a PS5 either.
2) The PC has TONS of amazing games out for it and console exclusive are just that... exclusives. It's not rocket science.

If you want to enjoy all that gaming can offer you have always had to buy both PC and a console, that has never changed so I'm not sure why it's taken so long to sink in.

Soldato
If you want to enjoy all that gaming can offer you have always had to buy both PC and a console, that has never changed so I'm not sure why it's taken so long to sink in.

Yeah the only change has been PC has had some 'exclusives' drift over such as HZD so in time even PC players do get some access eventually, so its actually better than it was some years ago.

Soldato
Yeah the only change has been PC has had some 'exclusives' drift over such as HZD so in time even PC players do get some access eventually, so its actually better than it was some years ago.

Plus all the big xbox games made by microsoft release on pc now.

Soldato
So, almost certainly laptop chips today....but will we see the ti?

Maybe they will have finally got an Apple supply chain in place and will announce availability today for the 3080ti in massive numbers.

Or not....:(

Soldato
calc.png

This is on a PSU calc site, dunno if they know more about it or just shoved it there because they know it's coming

Soldato
It’s just speculation, it’s not hard to work out where thy card would land in terms of price, performance and power requirements if it exists. Just look at the other cards around it and plonk it in the middle.

I could write the review and produce some graphs before the launch and not be that far off.

Associate

This is exactly what I've done, bought a ps5 on day of release for rrp.
Playing lots of amazing exclusive games i never would have played, then I will go back to my pc for most games when reasonably priced/easily sorced gpu,s can vastly outperform my ps5.

Back
Top Bottom