• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Man of Honour
The article make assumptions and generalizations. While points the fab the A13 is made forgets to say where AMD products are made. (completely different fabs)

Also AMD is moving to 7nm EUV in the new year (different fab) in addition there are talks to use Samsung for some of the 7nm EUV products. (most likely the consoles).

Article makes a lot of assumptions but still supply constraint is likely going to be a bigger factor for AMD if it is at all than nVidia at 7nm.

Soldato
Those ^^^ performance boosts only at comparable die sizes. Don't forget that all the Turing chips are gigantic, and Samsung won't be ready to produce a 754 sq.mm GA100 on the 7nm...

But that's assuming they are the saw architecture . It could be a totally new a new architecture where a smaller chip is ok, who knows. AMD just got 25% IPC boost from its half baked new architecture which allows them a nice performance boost even in a tiny chip that's smaller than their previous gen chips.

While I don't know if it's true or not - but the article says EUV is easier to manufacture (higher yields) than conventional 7nm - so bigger dies than what we've TSMC making could be tolerable

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But that's assuming they are the saw architecture . It could be a totally new a new architecture where a smaller chip is ok, who knows. AMD just got 25% IPC boost from its half baked new architecture which allows them a nice performance boost even in a tiny chip that's smaller than their previous gen chips.

While I don't know if it's true or not - but the article says EUV is easier to manufacture (higher yields) than conventional 7nm - so bigger dies than what we've TSMC making could be tolerable

Well it ain't just an evolution of Turing anyhow.

Soldato
I think the 3070 will give performance comfortably ahead of the next gen PS5, I'll probably be looking at that being at 1440p. I'd say it's likely to be the better card for the money > performance based on previous cards, but we'll see. It's too bad they won't price the 80 and 80 Ti class cards more inline with what they did with the 980 series, that would make more people buy them.

Soldato
People seem to be mistaken with the differences between Samsung 7nm and TSMC 7nm+.

Samsung 7nm is a full EUV node.

7nm+ is only EUV for 4 of the 14 layers, the 4 being part of the BEOL.

Caporegime
OP
Just finished off Exodus again, at Ultra Settings, with Ultra RT, @ UW 3440x1440, and it ran bloody great, much faster than my old Vega 64 ran it, on only High settings, no RT (obviously), so yes, these cards are utter **** at RT, can't run it at all :p

Soldato
Just finished off Exodus again, at Ultra Settings, with Ultra RT, @ UW 3440x1440, and it ran bloody great, much faster than my old Vega 64 ran it, on only High settings, no RT (obviously), so yes, these cards are utter **** at RT, can't run it at all :p
What card?

2070s impressive what frames were you getting?

I forgot to turn phone sideways to see sigs:p

Soldato
I think the 3070 will give performance comfortably ahead of the next gen PS5, I'll probably be looking at that being at 1440p. I'd say it's likely to be the better card for the money > performance based on previous cards, but we'll see. It's too bad they won't price the 80 and 80 Ti class cards more inline with what they did with the 980 series, that would make more people buy them.

Rumour has it that Sony is releasing the ps5 and the pro at the same time this gen, ps5 pro could be a proper beast but pricey I would assume.

Hopefully these Ampere chips move things along more than 20-30%. Looking to upgrade next year so RDNA 2 or Ampere will be my options.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Rumour has it that Sony is releasing the ps5 and the pro at the same time this gen, ps5 pro could be a proper beast but pricey I would assume.

Hopefully these Ampere chips move things along more than 20-30%. Looking to upgrade next year so RDNA 2 or Ampere will be my options.
One thing I do not like about consoles is they tend to only come with one year warranty. Imagine buying a pro which on launch will probably be £600 or something and it breaks a little after 12 months? Ouch.

If I do end up getting the PS5 Pro, I will enjoy it for like 10 months or so, then sell it. That should be enough time for me to get through the exclusives. Then 12 months later when there are more exclusives buy another. By then the price may come down to the price I sold the it for :)

Either that or look into getting some extended warranty on the cheap.

I am hoping Ampere will do more then 30% also and hopefully we will see 2080Ti performance or better drop to under £500 in the form of a 3070. Key word being hoping :p

Caporegime
I am hoping Ampere will do more then 30% also and hopefully we will see 2080Ti performance or better drop to under £500 in the form of a 3070. Key word being hoping :p

2080Ti seems to be bottlenecked to **** on anything less than 4k, I can imagine it should be within touching distance if it's a decent boost (upto 1440p/UW at least).

Permabanned

Doesn't Metro Exodus just use RT for global illumination? I tried it on my 1080Ti where I found some areas looked better and some worse. But in general you would still need an RTX ON logo in the corner to remind you it was on.

Back
Top Bottom