• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Agreed, There are some serious mind game being played this time around I think. They both know that the hype is stupendous if the market is going to get both at the same time head to head.

If there ever was a time to drive interest, it's now

The thing is, Nvidia wouldn't be playing games like this unless they thought AMD actually had something.

Caporegime
If that ends up being the case then I wonder if people will actually pay for the better RT.
Many people will go with Nvidia for the much better driver experience and the DLSS. The AMD 5700XT thread is showing a fair few known members with a lot of PC hardware experience talking about various driver issues, so unless AMD make big improvements in time for Big Navi then I do not want to be spending any of my time sorting out driver problems, I want to be gaming.

Soldato
Many people will go with Nvidia for the much better driver experience and the DLSS. The AMD 5700XT thread is showing a fair few known members with a lot of PC hardware experience talking about various driver issues, so unless AMD make big improvements in time for Big Navi then I do not want to be spending any of my time sorting out driver problems, I want to be gaming.
This is a big thing at the moment. I am 80/20 set on getting another AMD card after my VEGA because I have had a great experience with it, but I removed a 5700xt from my basket and pulled out of completing the purchase based on all the issues that are present drivers wise at the moment. That on new hardware would be a total show stopper, imagine at review stage!

Soldato

I wouldnt say its hardware experience that was needed I think its installing the latest drivers as soon as they arrive instead of waiting a bit to see if there is an issue. Bit like "Early Adopter" syndrome. At least with Nvidia when they BS up the drivers a hotfix comes along in a week or so. Instead AMD have just buried there head in the sand. I only just got my 5700XT. Read up on the drivers to see if there were any issues, saw all the complaints about the May/June ones, went for the April ones and not had an issue.

Soldato

I'm a gadget geek that likes to tinker with stuff, and I didn't appreciate what Nvidia did with Turing, so I'll buy AMD if they offer the price/performance at the high end.

However, I won't recommend AMD to my friends if their new GPU's *require* tinkering.

Caporegime
I'm a gadget geek that likes to tinker with stuff, and I didn't appreciate what Nvidia did with Turing, so I'll buy AMD if they offer the price/performance at the high end.

However, I won't recommend AMD to my friends if their new GPU's *require* tinkering.
Luckily I skipped Turing with my trusty GTX 1070m (RIP my love) so have no such issues. :D

Last edited:
Soldato

I recently specced a pre-built system for my brother (who isn't into PC tech at all) and this is the reason I didn't spec an AMD card, even though he has a freesync monitor.

He wanted a system as hands-off as possible, and really didn't want him to be having this kind of issue.

Associate
If that is the 3080, ie 2080 successor (and not the top Ti/3090 card), then it's looking good.

If it is the top card, then it is disappointing.

Weren't there rumours that these new nvidia cards would be hitting 2.5ghz? If that's the case and the card there has 25% left in the tank, it'd still be a good jump even if it's the 3090, no?

Soldato

I haven’t had any issues with my 5700XT since they fixed the drivers at the end of Feb. I had one dodgy driver package and that was when they decided to do a big release at Christmas.

350 gaming hours now clocked since they fixed the drivers
and no driver problems.

Back
Top Bottom