• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I dont care about next gen consoles.
That's fine, but why would you want to pay more and have inferior textures because nV skimped on the VRAM?

You had a pop at people for saying that the VRAM on these new cards might be a bit on the low side, but you don't seem to care about the consequences of the PC platform having a lack of VRAM compared to console platforms, which could result in your paying more for an inferior quality experience on PC?

e: To clarify, it matters because game devs will be targeting PS5 and XSX as lead platforms when designing multi-plat games.

Soldato
You had a pop at people for saying that the VRAM on these new cards might be a bit on the low side, but you don't seem to care about the consequences of the PC platform having a lack of VRAM compared to console platforms, which could result in your paying more for an inferior quality experience on PC?

e: To clarify, it matters because game devs will be targeting PS5 and XSX as lead platforms when designing multi-plat games.

I just think you are jumping on the crystal ball bandwagon. Nobody knows whats going to happen. I wouldnt be "paying more for an inferior quality experience" if I keep my 5700 XT. You seem to presume and assume a lot without there being any evidence and you know what assume does ?

Also the same dev that does the console version doesn't always do the PC version so your logic falls down there too. One dev will be going for the console version and the other developing the best possible PC version. I`m too old to be bothered about a console having better graphics - like who cares.

Not everyone is aiming for the best visual experience possible by spending more money. I`m just happy with the experience I have now and you are presuming I am buying a new card. To be honest I`m starting to think I will pass on this generation.

If the lack of VRAM was such an issue then why are we not seeing cards with more memory.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Also the same dev that does the console version doesn't always do the PC version so your logic falls down there too. One dev will be going for the console version and the other developing the best possible PC version.
Erm, have you seen the state of many PC "ports" of multi-plat games?

"The best possible" version is a ways off, normally.

If the lack of VRAM was such an issue then why are we not seeing cards with more memory.

Cost-cutting. Milking. Mostly milking.

Soldato
If the the 3070 Ti matches the 2080 Ti in rasterization has better RT power and comes in under £600 that will be a nice card.
200_d.gif

Soldato
Not buying it. Firstly I don't think they will dop the Ti branding. It's a big deal for them. What is the advantage going 3090? Also I don't see how anyone can know perf of the Titan yer. Bet it's not even finalised yet!

The 3090 name is real, it was confirmed by Micron who supply the memory for the cards

On a side note a RTX3080 has appeared in UserBenchmark.

it has 2.1ghz clock speed and 10gb of GDDR6x 19GBs VRAM

ahttps://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/iasouv/videocardz_nvidia_geforce_rtx_3080_spotted_with/

Soldato
OK so this is what nvidia can do for you:

Have a 1080Ti but need an 'upgrade'.. ooh my £700 cant get me the same, but I need the shiny Raytracing that Jensen's promised me this generation, looks like I can afford a 3060.

So absolutely no performance gain except it will use a 28% more power!!! lol

If you read the graph the green line is performance per watt - in other words it's using 28% LESS power, not more

Associate
I just don't think Nvidia can "Blow away" the 2000 series, i think at best the second tier card will be around 2080TI + 0 to 10% with the highest tier about 30% to 40% faster than the 2080TI.

Raytracing will probably be much better than Turing and that is where Nvidia will concentrate their marketing.

3060 = 2070
3070 = 2080
3080 = 2080TI
3080TI = 2080TI +30%
Humbug, could you please add Big Navi cards to your "Chart of Doom".

Last edited:
Soldato
So many "leakers" are now on a hype train

3 months ago all the rumours said Ampere was only 40% faster than a 2080ti

then it changed to 50%

And now with new Ampere drivers released 2 weeks ago and people doing some overclocking it seems, they're saying 60 or 70%

Soldato

then it changed to 50%

And now with new Ampere drivers released 2 weeks ago and people doing some overclocking it seems, they're saying 60 or 70%

I have an exclusive leak - the RTX3090/RTX3080TI/RTX2180TI is between 0~100% faster than an RTX2080TI.

Associate

then it changed to 50%

All these could be true depending on the metric I suppose. Could 40% better raster but 70% better RT and still be right I guess :p

Soldato
Ampere only has to be 40% faster than the 1080Ti and that's a whole GPU generation of consumers who'll view it as a big upgrade. It would destroy the 980Ti so that's another generation who'll upgrade. Ampere doesn't need to be a huge improvement over the 2080 Ti to be a success because that's only a small part of the market. Nvidia cant loose even with a bad product when you look at it like that.

Back
Top Bottom