• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
so what does an £800 3080 AiB get you that a £650 doesn't?

especially given the FE at £650 uses an expensive cooling solution...

a small guaranteed overclock, better/longer warranty and "maybe" a slightly quieter cooler.

FE just as likely in the silicon lottery to give you a better overclocking card.

Associate
Yeah 3090 here to, my 2080ti pushes the 11gb vram now, don't want to drop to 10gb 3080 and lower bus width than my 2080ti, do you reckon 3080ti with wider bus and more vram will at a price between? If not then 3090 I will buy

Soldato
no cos the FE coolers are getting better and we know they aren't cheap either so given an Ai doesn't carry that overhead and is asking for an additional £150 in some cases what are you actually getting for that

Where is your evidence other than what NVIDIA have said that the FE coolers are substantially better than last years versons?

As always, benches will reveal all.

Associate
Why would they do that? All it does is give Nvidia a chance to respond (a.k.a lower prices if AMD were better).
As someone has mentioned in another thread. AMD's silence means they have a dud or something really good. Only time will tell.

Edit: AMD needs to leak the right time to avoid being overshadowed by actual news from Ampere.

Sadly AMD would have needed a rock solid press release announcement say within a week of nvidia.
Sadly something tells me they dont have anything that will compete. You're totally right AMD would need a rock solid announcement now to stop people jumping on buying new nvidia.
I think they're scrambling in the r&d department trying to get something that will compete, I just dont think they'll do it. As previously mentioned AMD have bee n threatening nvidia for over the past decade, the threats haven't come very close.

Soldato
Yep. It was. Even Nvidia admitted it, demolishing ALXAndy’s argument. Oh it’s because of die size bla bla bla... Sure die size makes a difference in price but not the huge difference in price we were seeing for god sakes, but he was not having it. Lol.

Oh and so much for those saying this gen will be much more expensive because of r&d and manufacturing costs etc. Told you it would not and explained why ;)

No he didn't, say it was over priced. That's BS he would never say that. He said Turing was very expensive. And it was. What part of that does not line up with what I said? "Yeah sorry every one it was over priced and I totally ripped you off". No dude. Twist the words all you like.

There are lots of reasons why Turing was expensive. I gave a few. Others could be - the failure with Samsung (IE that all went into the costs) the cost of TSMC (as I pointed out) and so on. However, nowhere did he say they were over priced he just said they were expensive. And like I said, they were. To make and to buy.

As for Ampere prices being lower than every one thought? (and believe me it was every one, not just me) that is because they are on Samsung. They also have the same SM units as Turing, but two CUDA cores per SM instead of one. NO ONE knew that. Even so they still perform as predicted.

I will chat to you about something all day, but the minute you start twisting things and telling porkies it's over.

Associate
Some people are missing the point about the decrease in value of the 2080 series as it's not about normal depreciation.
Comparing it to a new car is plain wrong.
You don't buy a mark 8 Golf GTi for £25k and then a month later the mark 9 with only a GT badge is released which is faster with more features for less than half the price.
That is the equivalent here.

It's not typical for a high end card to lose so much perceived value overnight but it does happen when certain criteria are met.
It's a good thing as long as you aren't left holding the parcel.

Caporegime
Skip to 18:42mins and see the chart in the video.

Looks to me like it matches it or is 0.01% faster and as I stated before, the Nvidia notes say that its an average of games and "DLSS and RT was used where the games supported them"

I would expect the 3070 to be faster than the 2080ti with DLSS and RT switched on but if on Nvidia's graph they have it matching or slightly beating the 2080ti "on average" then in games not using DLSS and RT then I expect the 3070 to be slower.

Thats the point I am trying to make.

Soldato
Oh and just remember this. Jen doesn't do any one, including gamers, any favours.

You are getting what you are getting for a very good reason, and it has CONSOLES slapped all over it.

Caporegime
OP
I am.

I was convinced that the 3000 series would be another rip off from Nvidia like the 2000 series. I had a target of £500 for 2080ti performance or I was getting a Series X. Nvidia have smashed that target so much so that I am now happily going to pony up the £649 for the 3080. Assuming the new consoles are going to be £500, the new Nvidia cards have made them feel bad value for money for anyone with a decent PC that is able to upgrade to a 3000 series card!

:D

Soldato
Interesting but it's all kind of irrelevant without any actual specs on these cards. I strongly suspect there's an embargo on details as no manufacturer has published anything specific. The worry is that this embargo will last until launch on Sep 17th so there won't be any reviews until then either, meaning those after an FE at launch will be buying blind, not knowing what the third parties are offering.

Agreed, just thought it would be useful to stick all the current pricing side by side.

What's the deal with ordering the FE direct, do you get a period of time to return it no quibbles?

Back
Top Bottom