• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
If I was to go with one this gen I would be looking at the nvidia FE cards.

Last gen Turing I was very impressed with cooling wise. They were built better than any AIB card and not much hotter or louder. And considering some of those cards were significantly more expensive.

I bet the nvidia cooler this gen is even better than the last so it makes even more sense to stick with nvidia founders edition.
This is the info that I was looking for. I really like the FE cards this time around. I am right in thinking that you only get these from Nvidia themselves?

Associate
always wondering if this type of crap is allowed on a forum

I can tell you for certainly I've had a lot of issues in the past with ati cards compared to nvidia..especially running older generation cards.
At 18:30mins they talk about PCIe3 vs PCIe4 for a second and speculate the difference will be about 5%.

5% christ alive, that's huge! I expected more like 2%.
I'm sitting here laughing at how happy I am for switching to a 3900 PCI-e 4.0, i'd previously been with intel for the past 20 years.I just honestly don't know how intel have got things so wrong this generation.

Soldato
I know you're not asking me but I have a 1080ti and a 7700k at 4.9 and I'm debating a complete new build and going for the 3090. My main reason is I stream on a single PC setup. I have no issues with quality or performance on the game I stream, however with people want me to stream Cyberpunk and I'm somewhat worried I'm going to have to run the game on low settings or not be able to stream it. For me though I'm at a bit of a dilemma, Cyberpunk is out soon and I want to be ready for it however I'm really concerned over the whole PCIe3 / 4 stuff and waiting until next year when the 11th gen Intel chips come out.

I'm on 3440x1440 so not quite as demanding as 4K. Whilst I have to turn a few setting down in some games, I can easily get around 90-100fps average in most things. Would be nice being able to turn everything up and pin at 120fps but not exactly essential.

Whilst I don't believe PCIe4 will make any difference to actual GPU performance, I am interested to see what impact it has with this RTX IO stuff. I'm on a 10700K now so can drop a Rocket Lake in later if I need PCIe4 support, having half an eye on that potential upgrade was half the reason I went i7 instead of i9.

Caporegime
This one:

axispdk8v.png

Buuuuuuuut, even there Nvidia are essentially putting them neck and neck. And you'd assume that's in a best-case scenario for the 3070, whereas Digital Foundry showed the gap between the old and new can vary quite a lot depending on the game. It wouldn't shock me if the 2080 Ti was faster in some games. Especially once you factor in overclocking, since 2080 Tis had more headroom than the other Turing cards due to being clocked lower out of the box. Plus the VRAM deficit for the 3070, which will affect some scenarios. I'm in no way saying you should run out and buy a 2080 Ti though. Even if the 3070 isn't quite a 2080 Ti killer across the board, it's still clearly the better buy.

/edit/ I also just noticed that they have the 2070 Super more ahead of the 1080 Ti than the 3070 ahead of the 2080 Ti, and the 2070 Super doesn't even outperform the 1080 Ti across the board.

Yeh, i think realistically, the 3070 is going to trade blows with the 2080ti without RTX and beat it soundly with RTX on. The RTX performance is likely how they can say it is "faster" overall.

Caporegime
During the announcement he said the reference cooler keeps the card 20 degrees cooler than previous gen coolers. I have no idea how hot the previous ref coolers ran but 20 degrees cooler seems like a huge boost in cooling performance?

It is but what he may not be telling you is that this gen runs 30 degrees hotter than last gen ;)

But yeah, it does seem to be a major major step up in cooling performance as clearly the card needs it. Definitely looking forward to sticking it under water

Soldato
3090 looking to be terrible value over the 3080, but some already knew that anyway considering it only looks to be a bit quicker

Because it's a Titan in all but name and not really intended as a gaming card. All that 8K rubbish was just marketing nonsense, not only does hardly anyone have an 8K TV, let alone monitor but anyone with half a brain would rather game at 4K 120/144fps than 8K 60fps anyway.

Associate
Don't post much around here. Just bought a 2070S about 6 months ago as my 980Ti was struggling with 4K multiboxed EVE online. Planning to play New World and Cyberpunk at 144Hz, so having been a long time since I bought the 'top' cards, I am debating getting the 3090.

Associate
I can tell you for certainly I've had a lot of issues in the past with ati cards compared to nvidia..especially running older generation cards.

I'm sitting here laughing at how happy I am for switching to a 3900 PCI-e 4.0, i'd previously been with intel for the past 20 years.I just honestly don't know how intel have got things so wrong this generation.

Yes but AMD CPUs are slower than Intel by around that so you're not gaining in gaming performance by switching from intel...

Soldato
Here is a summary of all the 3080 AIBs currently shown on OCUK, alongside the FE.

zwBjUm1.png

Interesting but it's all kind of irrelevant without any actual specs on these cards. I strongly suspect there's an embargo on details as no manufacturer has published anything specific. The worry is that this embargo will last until launch on Sep 17th so there won't be any reviews until then either, meaning those after an FE at launch will be buying blind, not knowing what the third parties are offering.

Soldato
It is likely is the difference between the 3080 and 3090 won't be anywhere near the difference between the 2080 and 2080Ti (30%)

yeah looking at the specs, the 3080 and 3090 are more akin to the Titan and 2080ti from the previous gen, so £649 is a much nicer price point than the £1100 for the 2080ti

I do suspect we will see a 3080ti at some point

Soldato

Thats 63 fps vs 60 :p. Still a good thing to have 4.0 and we should have them on intel boards now that’s for sure.

Chances are if it is as low as 5% and that’s way on a 3090 then that difference could easily be mopped up by having a faster CPU for example. I found a larger amount between a 9900k 5GHz and a 3950X.

I guess the biggest benefit will come from the new NVMe drives. I’m waiting out for next gen boards though likely next year with ddr5 etc before upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom