• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Am I missing something here? The 3080 is over 25% faster than the £1200 2080Ti and at close to half price? Why the hate for the 3080?

hey matey, nice to see you posting on the graphics forum again.

I think the hate can be boiled down to a number of factors, i think the 3080 FE card is decent but there are a number of niggles.

a) only 2GB more vram on the 3080 than the 1080 (launched 4 1/2 years ago)
b) the 3080 chip appears to be running at its limits, the 1080 clearly was not, had plenty of headroom and ran very cool
c) All the AIB launch cards appear to be f-ugly compared to the 1080 launch, might as well buy the 3080 FE. 1080 FE was f-ugly
d) there is a sense (just a sense) that AMD might be competitive with their new card, with a nice looking design and 16GB VRAM
e) 2080ti was a con, price wise, i am not sure all buyers were expecting the depreciation to be as brutal but that's AMD's competition starting to bite. 1080ti was a great card.

All the above was not an issue for the 1080/ti launch whereas it is for the 3080 launch.

Associate
Nvidia didn't buy ARM from the $40B they found down the sides of the sofa.
They needed to inflate their stock price to make them economically viable for the purchase.
Best way to do that? Release a new graphics card 3x the speed of the last generation but at the same price.
ANNOUCE IT before the purchase (while controling any media around it & limit the suppliers ability to inform customers on availability) but set sales dates AFTER the ARM purchase...

Associate
Absolute shambles, Nvidia need to be ashamed of themselves, let's hope AMD don't try the same trick.

It will be exactly the same next week with the 3090 and the month after with the 3070.
I'm not so sure man. Do you honestly think many are going to go for the 3090? I'm hearing its only 10% higher performance, more than double the cost.

Soldato
Lol....

ebay listing:

"
Hi there, I've bought this EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 but I've realised my older CPU will bottleneck it so I'm looking to sell it so I can upgrade that instead - purchased today with an estimated arrival date of tomorrow (18th) - I will post it to you as soon as it arrives unopened and sealed "

Ive realised my older CPU will be bottleneck.....

Latest bid, 60 grand :D

Come on... own up... who was it out of you lot :) ?

Associate
Lol....

ebay listing:

"
Hi there, I've bought this EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 but I've realised my older CPU will bottleneck it so I'm looking to sell it so I can upgrade that instead - purchased today with an estimated arrival date of tomorrow (18th) - I will post it to you as soon as it arrives unopened and sealed "

Ive realised my older CPU will be bottleneck.....

Latest bid, 60 grand :D

Come on... own up... who was it out of you lot :) ?

Looks like some vigilantes are taking care of scalpers, failed auctions...

Caporegime
This is the routine on their other sites currently, on the spain site it shows as in stock, if you keep it at spanish it lets you click buy and throws up a grey black screen, if you translate to english the buy button doesn't work. Was getting the same thing on the uk site earlier....

https://imgur.com/McWwtOr

Back
Top Bottom