• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere might launch as GeForce GTX 2070 and 2080 on April 12th

Soldato
Perfect timing for Acer and Asus to confirm 4k 144hz arriving in Q3 to after being... Delayed :)

Can picture Asus running dual Turing on one of these monitors is they are allowed at computex .. would turn heads , though have a feeling nvidia won't allow it

Caporegime
People have contacts in the trade, they are buying 50-100 at a time. The people buying 2 or 3 are the small fry really.

This. If you are buying 50+ card you contact the AIBs etc. and make a deal. Cut out the retail markup and accept some reduce warranty. THe AIbs don;t care, they just want to sell as many as possible.

Caporegime
Perhaps boycotting Nvidias next generation would be a better idea?

If you think Nvidia really care about who is buying their hardware, well..

do you think shops do either ? all that matters is the pounds. people dont love in business.if you think they do you being fooled.anyone in business sells or provides a service for money.not for love.

what wil be interesting is if mining does drop out big style and modern cards flood the market.that could actually be good for us.there will be loads of cheap cards so new cards will have to be priced low or lower to sell.

Soldato
People have contacts in the trade, they are buying 50-100 at a time. The people buying 2 or 3 are the small fry really.

Pretty much. If you have contacts with first-tier distros you can allocate as many as you want. It's first come first serve. When I was in the industry buying from MicroP I used to bag items allocated to other etailers, OCUK included.

There'll be big shipments going here there and everywhere.

Soldato
do you think shops do either ? all that matters is the pounds. people dont love in business.if you think they do you being fooled.anyone in business sells or provides a service for money.not for love.

what wil be interesting is if mining does drop out big style and modern cards flood the market.that could actually be good for us.there will be loads of cheap cards so new cards will have to be priced low or lower to sell.

It’ll be interesting to see many pascal cards end up on the used market, assuming mining is still up when the next gen drops.

I would be surprised if the current shortage of available cards hasn’t been greatly exaggerated.

Permabanned

Correct

Associate
I have heard all sorts of arguments about GPU manufacturers and their attitude towards mining - whether they support gamers or not, but I have to say that if they introduce the new GPU's without building in something that ensures miners can't use them, then I am coming down on the side of the people who are angry with the manufacturers. I have had enough of the mining c***. I'm sick and tired of my "hobby" being wrecked by greedy individuals. At the moment I don't know who to blame, but I am sure going to know who to blame if they introduce new cards as if nothing is going on in the wider picture.

Man of Honour
Problem is you can't really do that without also penalising compute use in video games, etc. and any kind of arbitrary software lock out would be just worked around with a new release of the mining software so AMD/nVidia would constantly be playing catch up and spending a lot of resources on blacklisting software.

Also unfortunately this kind of compute functionality is increasingly becoming a factor in future games so there are limits to how much they can reduce the performance on that side to make them less attractive as mining cards.

Soldato
It is easy to get 4 GPUs of the same SKU out of NVidia but not in a way that miners could use.

they dont mind nor care - starting to see nvidia getting more aggressive with its Founders edition and its store front . Having a horrid feeling the delay expect launch month was to bulk up supplies on FE cards not chips for vendors =/
just hope they don't push window out as far as AMD did with vega release

Associate
Problem is you can't really do that without also penalising compute use in video games, etc. and any kind of arbitrary software lock out would be just worked around with a new release of the mining software so AMD/nVidia would constantly be playing catch up and spending a lot of resources on blacklisting software.

Also unfortunately this kind of compute functionality is increasingly becoming a factor in future games so there are limits to how much they can reduce the performance on that side to make them less attractive as mining cards.

Well, I have to say that I don't know what they should do, I am assuming they could could come up withe SOMETHING! There won't be a future if they do nothing. I mean I for one will not be buying a new graphics card until this madness ends. I absolutely refuse to pay 100% more than I should be paying to satisfy someones greed. The latest releases are still interesting to me, but the market is so frustrating because for the first time ever I know I will not be buying one of the new cards.

Caporegime
Well, I have to say that I don't know what they should do, I am assuming they could could come up withe SOMETHING! There won't be a future if they do nothing. I mean I for one will not be buying a new graphics card until this madness ends. I absolutely refuse to pay 100% more than I should be paying to satisfy someones greed. The latest releases are still interesting to me, but the market is so frustrating because for the first time ever I know I will not be buying one of the new cards.

Worst case scenario I see I stock available for gamers declines and prices continue to rise, basically ending gaming GPUs for consumers for a time. PC gaming will strat resorting to IGP and low end stuff, stagnating any graphical progress. games consoles will shine though. Nvidia and AMD will be all to happy selling very expensive mining focused GPUs. Longer term1 or 2 things will happen. Mining will either collapse, or technology will change and more dedicated mining hardware will work out far betetr for mining We saw this in the past with ASICs, and it seems Nvidia is working on product differentiation. At that point PC gaming will see a revival.

And the stagnation may not be serve. Console keep fixed hardware for + years but due to better and better optimizations graphics gets better. the PC gaming could see similar improvements. PC devs tend to spend less resources optimizing because PCs are faster, and during the life cycle of game development GPUS get much faster. If those factors are removed there are much greater rewards for devs that put more focus on optimization. DX1/Vulkan might see an uptick in popularity because the additional work and costs required will result in better graphics.

Man of Honour
And the stagnation may not be serve. Console keep fixed hardware for + years but due to better and better optimizations graphics gets better. the PC gaming could see similar improvements. PC devs tend to spend less resources optimizing because PCs are faster, and during the life cycle of game development GPUS get much faster. If those factors are removed there are much greater rewards for devs that put more focus on optimization. DX1/Vulkan might see an uptick in popularity because the additional work and costs required will result in better graphics.

TBH I suspect we'd see stagnation in the console development cycle if this comes to pass - only updating and probably more incremental instead of the bigger jumps they've had - when a stimulus is needed due to declining sales.

Caporegime
TBH I suspect we'd see stagnation in the console development cycle if this comes to pass - only updating and probably more incremental instead of the bigger jumps they've had - when a stimulus is needed due to declining sales.

I expect so, but the mining shouldn't necessarily affect the ability of Sony and MS to produce a new powerful console, but prices of the next consoles might go up and they make a loss on eahc one as with some earlier generations.

Back
Top Bottom