• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA BIG LAST PUSH (CRAZY SALE): INSANE PRICES ON 780Ti, 780, 770 & 760!! **

Associate
970 or 780ti at those prices ?

i am 1080p@60fps (projector) gamer who needs quiet (inc. silence at idle) - this wont change in next 5 yrs.
i have no current 7xxx/9xx to sli.
longevity and bang for buck are more important than price to me.
min frame rate/frame time not avg frame rate is whats important to me.

Dont know whether 4GB (970) over 3GB (780ti) would matter in the next 5 yrs?

The 780ti has significantly more memory bandwidth. fill rate and presumably more grunt, but this doesnt seem to translate to vastly improved minimum frame rate, and even less so at 1080p.

970 is reported cooler and quieter.

9XX series has some new technologies including multisampling and DSR, presumably a fringe benefit?

I wonder whether the 970 is any more DX12 capable than 780ti...or whether it has significantly improved technology that will allow it to stretch its legs more in future titles/dx12.

I wonder the same as you, hopefully people can help advise which to choose, i was about to pull trigger on 970 until i saw this price drop.

Associate
Amazing prices indeed, well...still rocking my GTX670 sli so I will probably upgrade when i make a new build in 2-3 years. Waiting to see how the dirext X or mantle will change the scenery...

Soldato
i am 1080p@60fps (projector) gamer who needs quiet (inc. silence at idle) - this wont change in next 5 yrs.
i have no current 7xxx/9xx to sli.
longevity and bang for buck are more important than price to me.
min frame rate/frame time not avg frame rate is whats important to me.

Dont know whether 4GB (970) over 3GB (780ti) would matter in the next 5 yrs?

The 780ti has significantly more memory bandwidth. fill rate and presumably more grunt, but this doesnt seem to translate to vastly improved minimum frame rate, and even less so at 1080p.

970 is reported cooler and quieter.

9XX series has some new technologies including multisampling and DSR, presumably a fringe benefit?

I wonder whether the 970 is any more DX12 capable than 780ti...or whether it has significantly improved technology that will allow it to stretch its legs more in future titles/dx12.

I wonder the same as you, hopefully people can help advise which to choose, i was about to pull trigger on 970 until i saw this price drop.

I'm in a similar position, but was leaning towards sticking with my 670 for a while longer until the 970 prices dropped to around £200-£220. I was expecting that to be Q2 next year, but I didn't anticipate this very tempting price on a 780 prior to this Christmas.

Now I'm thinking it would be nice to upgrade now and grab a 144Hz 1080p monitor for my annual Xmas gaming binge, and I'm not sure the extra £60 for the cheapest 970 is going to be worth it for 1080p.

Argh, decisions, decisions...

Soldato
Soldato
Cheers m8e - good to know. I'm assuming therefore running at different boost clocks causes no issues.. and running a pair of 780s even if one is a bit slower is still pretty sweet:D

You could clock the slower one up :D

But yeah no issues from what I know.

I think in SLI the cards run alternate frames, so it may be best to run the cards at the same clocks for consistency.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Separate clocks on mine at stock, (1124 and 1097). No problems that I've encountered. First one is capable of +80/500, second one does +100/300 but I run both synced at +80/300 bench clocks. But iirc you can unlink them in afterburner and set clocks individually.

Associate
So now the question becomes zotac with non ref cooler or the kfa with a blower.. is it common consensus that the blower would be best for sli (given I have non-ref on the gigabyte obviousy) - could even sell the ghz ed and go for a pair of kfa2s if the reference blowers made that big a difference?

Back
Top Bottom