• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia CEO says next gaming GPUs won't come for "a long time"

Associate
"...increasing GPU cooling fan shipments starting in the third quarter, according to company chairman Hsu Wen-feng."

Poor guy at Power Logic didn't get the memo from NV to hold off production. ;)

Soldato
That is basically it, like Apple NV can sell crap to anyone and the masses fall for it.

Fact is, AMD have good drivers, have had for a while now and compared to intel and nvidia arguably currently have the best.
Other things about amds cards that they get a lot of stick for.

Vega is slow. No its not, vega 56 is generally faster or competing with the 1070 and 1070ti. 64 is competing well with the 1080
Vega is hot and noisy. No they aint, the reference cooler aint bad and the stock vega setups from AMD dont run noisy at all.
Vega uses tons of power.. Nope again not true. Yes they use more than nvidias cards they compete with but not by huge amounts. Ok overvolt and overclock they can, but the secret to a fast vega is undervolting which really helps.

Now the moans that are fair enough.
Vega is too expensive. Yes thats fair enough but thats more the fault of memory being too high and mining. Nvidia also get hit by this to a lesser extent.
Vega is having to use a much larger die size to compete with nvidias smaller chips. Yep this is fair enough as well, i suspect vega was supposed to be on a smaller process when designed at the beginning.
And a few other things like primitive shaders or what not that vega is having trouble with.

At the end of the day vega is ok, its not epic but its alright. It gets blasted by idiot nvidia arse lickers all the time for a lot of undeserved issues. Sure its not been as good as we hopped but then Pascal has areas that could be improved as well.

TBH it's only a very vocal few that see Nvidia as better, but it's OK, those people are just stupid :p

Vega is great chip, it's problem was price and supply at release.

Last edited:
Soldato
TBH it's only a very vocal few that see Nvidia as better, but it's as OK those people are just stupid :p

Honestly i am a swing voter here so convince me :) my last AMD card was a 9800Xt which came with HL2 but i have nothing against going back to the red team.

I am in the market for a GPU and am currently on the fence about paying £650 for a 1080ti or waiting for an 1180....

I could be tempted however with a cheaper lower end card allowing me to skip the entire generation if there was something slower than a 1080ti but at least as fast as a 1080, ideally a little quicker.

I am only interested in gaming, have a 4K screen and oculus rift. I currently have a gtx 980

What have AMD got for me (actually in stock). Depending on the game, a games bundle could also persuade me as well.

Soldato
TBH it's only a very vocal few that see Nvidia as better, but it's as OK those people are just stupid :p

Vega is great chip, it's problem was price and and supply at release.
It's GPU wars again? :D
There's no doubt about it, NV are "better" at putting optimised gaming cards out there than AMD at the moment .
I like the Vega cards but lets face it they're not gaming focused, more semi gaming/professional use. Vega 64 for example has great specs on paper but it's not reflected in gaming performance vs where the competitors are at. I've been temped myself recently to try one. I dunno how this idea is from a technical perspective but maybe some 7nm Vega cards optimised for gaming (including removal of the expensive unnecessary HBM2 and replaced with GDDR6 or something) and I think many will be interested in those. I'm sure they still won't compete with top end NV offerings but at least the price will I think be a bit lower, gaming performance higher and the 7nm aspect will be appealing.
AMD are making great CPU's and maybe in time they will be able to take a better fight to NV. For now though, NV own AMD when it comes to optimised gaming GPU's :D.
I did try a 580 recently while setting it up for someone. I liked it, and the Adrenaline drivers (the included new GUI). I didn't get to try out it's performance in gaming, just set it up for someone to try mining. This is why I was tempted to try a Vega in my spare machine.

Caporegime
Honestly i am a swing voter here so convince me :) my last AMD card was a 9800Xt which came with HL2 but i have nothing against going back to the red team.

I am in the market for a GPU and am currently on the fence about paying £650 for a 1080ti or waiting for an 1180....

I could be tempted however with a cheaper lower end card allowing me to skip the entire generation if there was something slower than a 1080ti but at least as fast as a 1080, ideally a little quicker.

I am only interested in gaming, have a 4K screen and oculus rift. I currently have a gtx 980

What have AMD got for me (actually in stock). Depending on the game, a games bundle could also persuade me as well.
GTX 1080 for £449 or Vega 64 for £499 and with NVidia being the better in VR, that would be my choice but then again, I am stupid. If you want to all out for a 4K screen, the 1080Ti is the better choice but at £728, might be a bit pricey. Just to add, I am not stupid either.

Soldato
It's GPU wars again? :D
There's no doubt about it, NV are "better" at putting optimised gaming cards out there than AMD at the moment .
I like the Vega cards but lets face it they're not gaming focused, more semi gaming/professional use. Vega 64 for example has great specs on paper but it's not reflected in gaming performance. I've been temped myself recently to try one. I dunno how this idea is from a technical perspective but maybe some 7nm Vega cards optimised for gaming (including removal of the expensive unnecessary HBM2 and replaced with GDDR6 or something) and I think many will be interested in those. I'm sure they still won't compete with top end NV offerings but at least the price will I think be a bit lower, gaming performance higher and the 7nm aspect will be appealing.
AMD are making great CPU's and maybe in time they will be able to take a better fight to NV. For now though, NV own AMD when it comes to optimised gaming GPU's :D.

Vega has a lot of features that make it attractive for many tasks, but this work station focused card manages to beat almost every Nvidia gaming card it competes against...

lets be honest, AMD are beating whoever they compete against right now. AMD are "owning" the crap out of everyone :p

Permabanned

Vega 64 with a nice Freesync display provides a much better experience than a 1080 without Gsync. 1080 with Gsync is another price bump over Vega + Freesync, yet provides only the same experience.

Nvidia seems to be better for VR, yet I don't see anyone complaining about Vega's performance other than Nvidia fanboys. Some even run the Rift with a old 290.

Soldato
Lol. It is going to cost him an arm and a leg now if he wants to remain at the top of benchmarks :p:D

its the question of getting one, guessing that would be extremely hard. im sure even thats above limits regardless of cashflow... but the fact to get one seems a challenge enough to get one haha

Soldato
Vega 64 with a nice Freesync display provides a much better experience than a 1080 without Gsync. 1080 with Gsync is another price bump over Vega + Freesync, yet provides only the same experience.

Nvidia seems to be better for VR, yet I don't see anyone complaining about Vega's performance other than Nvidia fanboys. Some even run the Rift with a old 290.

fair point on the freesync/gsync thing ... however after just spending £1700 on a 65 inch gaming TV i wont be replacing it any time soon.

thanks all for your replies, @Gregster pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I am kicking myself a little bit for not picking up a £630 delivered inno 3D 1080ti X2 last month.

Caporegime
fair point on the freesync/gsync thing ... however after just spending £1700 on a 65 inch gaming TV i wont be replacing it any time soon.

thanks all for your replies, @Gregster pretty much mirrors my thoughts. I am kicking myself a little bit for not picking up a £630 delivered inno 3D 1080ti X2 last month.
Understand and with a screen that big, 4K PPI would ideally suit a 1080Ti for upping the details and at that price... Ouchy!

Back
Top Bottom