• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA - CES 2018

Soldato
+1 while my OLED is a stunning piece of kit and actually rather responsive I don't use it for competitive games with mouse and keyboard. I use it for controller based games where you want all the visuals and it is a stunning piece of kit. Image quality is just miles in front of any IPS, completely blows it away.

I have a 165hz for bf1 etc as I hate fast paced fps with a controller.

Soldato
The wait is indeed killing me, it can only just run Destiny 2 on low, but I have to have resolution scaling set to 50% and it looks like playing at 800x600....

Other game I play Rocket League runs like a complete pig even on the ultra lowest settings god knows why.

I did think about what is the cheapest option be it 2nd hand I could get that would tie me over for abit, needs to be cheap but also at least allow me to play games at 1080 with 60 fps even if all settings are on low, guessing a 1060 fits that bill or?

Sorry, missed this post. Depends on how much you want to spend. If it's cheap you want, maybe a second hand 970?

Soldato
If people really had wanted 3D it wouldn't have died a death (for the 2nd time at least). It was a gimmick, people hated wearing the glasses (which is why VR is a non-starter for so many...), and it added very little to the experience.

3D and VR can't be compared. 3D didn't add much to a gaming experience, whereas VR actually brings you into the game.

Caporegime
3D and VR can't be compared. 3D didn't add much to a gaming experience, whereas VR actually brings you into the game.
I'm sure it is, but for many people wearing glasses or a headset will just not catch on. Not because the experience isn't good but because many gamers don't and never will want to strap a box on their heads over the eyes.

Associate
Soldato
Yes image retention is a thing with oled screens but the biggest problem is the near black.
My TV has that, my phone and even my windows tablet.
Also those LG Oled TVs are crap at displaying desktop environment in game mode and the input lag is unusable for use with a mouse (around 27ms). Does ok when playing on a controller.
That said I still don’t know which screen I like more and switch between them regularly when gaming.
With the oled it’s the contrast and colours and with the x34a it’s the very low input lag, high refresh rate and variable sync.

You need a decent OLED and a fast VA panel to get the best of both worlds, there is no victor currently.

there we have it, nvidias new tech for this year, specially for colour blind gamers, 1 out of 100k players will benefit, no need to mess around with my brightness and colour settings.

The tens of hundreds of users who use SweetFX profiles beg to differ with your typically British dry semidetached cynicism

Associate
You need a decent OLED and a fast VA panel to get the best of both worlds, there is no victor currently

Currently both Sony and Panasonic TVs are using OLED panels from LG so they all have similar issues. VA panel on a TV is a complete trash as if you move your head just few degrees off center blacks are turning grey.
Had two high end Samsung TVs with VA panels and returned both as I couldn’t live with that.
Before I was using Panasonic plasma so blacks and viewing angles were great but when upgrading I thought I’m gonna buy LCD TV this time as I was fed up dealing with screen burn in on my plasma. Turned out I couldn’t stand VA panel and eventually went for oled screen even if that meant screen burn ins.
Well I had it for well over a year now and experienced zero burn ins. Image retention is there but disappeares very quickly and in worst case when the TV is going through it’s compensation cycle.

Last edited:
Soldato
there we have it, nvidias new tech for this year, specially for colour blind gamers, 1 out of 100k players will benefit, no need to mess around with my brightness and colour settings.
fair more than just for colour blind usage + shouldn't colour blind users get the same level of gaming experiences as others?.

on side note much higher than 1 in 100k.

in my office of 120 staff their are 10 with colour blind or visible impairment

Back
Top Bottom