• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA - CES 2018

Soldato
Saturated by under performing alternatives seems a slight exaggeration does it not?

Is it fair to blame competition for underperforming when the market is driven by one giant who could buy and sell its competitors? Proportionally AMD don’t stand a chance. Nvidia rely on a single sided market to make continued profits - as a wider subject how can this be interpreted positively? I would suggest admiration shows confused priorities in this context.

If you were going to buy a house but only had one choice of developer, would you be happy paying a premium just because the developer is in a position to get away with it? Would you show the same admiration?

Don't want to get into random analogies, they don't work. It's perfectly fair to blame the competition. If we truly had any, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Keeping in mind we're talking about high-end, or flagship products here. It is what it is, just don't see how you can call someone ignorant for admiring conglomerates making money.

Caporegime
Vega at £829 is making NVidia look cheap at £680 for a 1080Ti. Prices have certainly gone through the roof for both and not what our wallets like to see. I doubt Volta will be cheap either.... Oh well, if it has good performance within my budget, I will get one. I was hoping for a bit more info but sadly lacking.

Soldato
In fairness AMD do the same thing, except they renamed the x870 to the x970 (to look like they added an extra tier), then they renamed that to the x90X part, then Fury and finally the Vega parts, except at the same time they moved those parts down to be mid-range parts while still naming them as top-end parts. Also in both cases filling out the product range with re-badges of the previous gen cards. They're now charging ~£800 for mid-range. I'm not sure which system is best but they've both got it down to a fine art.

Ok, I see what you are coming from with this. But, it's not the same, I think you are confusing actual name changing schemes with marketing. For the x870 to x970 name change.There was some technical problem with TSMC or something. AMD had the 5700 cards that they couldn't replace at that price point with the 6700 cards. So they renamed the 6700 cards to the 6800 and the 6800 became the 6900. When TSMC got sorted they replaced the 5700 cards with the 6700 ones. It was nothing to do with adding an adding a seemingly extra Tier like Nvidia done when they renamed their mid range cards to x80/x70. The other change is exactly what Nvidia did when switching from the 9xxx cards to the 2xx cards. It was complete renaming scheme from top down. And, you know the reason that Vega cards are selling at £800 and that's because of mining.

But, maybe I am wrong and I have no problem with that. Here is what Nvidia have done.

Step 1. Rename mid range parts to x80/x70
Step 2. Introduce the Titan and x80Ti cards.
Step 3. Release x80/x70 cards first, make x80 cards much more expensive. More expensive than the performance difference would suggest.
Step 4. Release The Titan card at nearly double the x80 price.
Step 5. A few moths later, release the x80Ti for what appears a reasonable price when compared to the x80 launch price and Titan price and having very similar performance to the Titan card.
Step 6. Drop x80 price down to where it should be based on it's actual performance difference over the x70 card.

Result: Well, massive profits. People buying twice during the one product cycle. Now they have a situation where people are upgrading from x80Ti to X80 and then x80Ti again. I mean, come on, AMD have nothing like this going on and never had anything even close to this. You say AMD are just as good at this as Nvidia and have it down to a fine art as well. Show me please. I don't know of any AMD marketing scheme, plan, whatever that is anything remotely like this. They made an attempt with Polaris to change the way up the way they release products. But, jury is still out on whether it was a success or not.

But, as I said, I have no problem been wrong. I just think AMD can't touch Nvidia for marketing, they aren't even close.

Soldato
Vega at £829 is making NVidia look cheap at £680 for a 1080Ti. Prices have certainly gone through the roof for both and not what our wallets like to see. I doubt Volta will be cheap either.... Oh well, if it has good performance within my budget, I will get one. I was hoping for a bit more info but sadly lacking.

GTC or bust.

Soldato
Oh I miss the days when I could actually afford PC parts :(

computer parts becoming more than just gaming parts has really resulted in a price explosion. Not sure what the solution is either. AMD's attempts with Vega to stop miners failed miserably. And because of miners, AIB's want to get in on the money and have raised the price of the Vega custom cards massively.(Source: Gibbo)

Nvidia seem to be going the same route with Volta, making a card more appealing to miners, by been more compute focused. Maybe Ampere might be the saving of the gaming GPU. We can only hope. Haven't heard any details of it though.

Associate
That is a good point, I guess the mining side of things has a huge effect on the prices of parts these days.

My 980ti had a mishap with my water cooling and now running a GTX 660 and its so bad I can't even put it into words as was the only spare card I had, and wanting to buy into a new flag ship model makes me eyes water these days.

Man of Honour
Nvidia seem to be going the same route with Volta, making a card more appealing to miners, by been more compute focused. Maybe Ampere might be the saving of the gaming GPU. We can only hope. Haven't heard any details of it though.

Volta design wise predates mining as a thing. Not sure we will ever see Volta used in a big way for mining unless down the line they release a more mid-range power efficient semi-professional product where clients are made for it that exploit some of its advanced features specifically.

My 980ti had a mishap with my water cooling and now running a GTX 660 and its so bad I can't even put it into words as was the only spare card I had, and wanting to buy into a new flag ship model makes me eyes water these days.

I'm feeling thankful I put some money away during the whole stuck on 28nm, etc. thing - a few years worth saved away means I can afford current GPU prices :s (that said I can "afford" them anyhow justifying spending the money on what you get for it is another matter though - in a strange way I'd baulk at spending £800-1000 for say a 1080ti but happily put up £3K for the Titan V if it was like consistently 2x the performance of a 1080ti :s).

Soldato
That is a good point, I guess the mining side of things has a huge effect on the prices of parts these days.

Ouch!! that hurts. And the 980Ti is a great card. The wait must be killing you. Maybe bite the bullet and get a 1060 just to tide you over until the next round of cards?

Associate
definitely wait for the next round... you'll see all the miners upgrading to the latest and most power efficient models, and you might be able to pick up a decent 980 or even a 10 series on ebay for a steal

Soldato
Volta design wise predates mining as a thing. Not sure we will ever see Volta used in a big way for mining unless down the line they release a more mid-range power efficient semi-professional product where clients are made for it that exploit some of its advanced features specifically.

Well, Mining has been a thing since before the 780Ti launched.

Soldato
Volta goes way back - its more than 5 years IIRC since the whole architecture switch around as well.

Yeah, I appreciate that but mining has been around a lot longer than that. It was huge around the time of 5870/6950 It dropped off a bit for a while around the 79xx cards, but came back with a vengeance when the 290 cards were released and has been a thing since then.

Suspended
Showing admiration for successful corporate capitalism really goes to show how warped the human mind is.

Shameless ignorance dressed up as enthusiasm.

This matters.

To be fair to AMD nVidia set the tone and they (AMD) aren't in a position to redefine the landscape especially with current margins, performance envelope and supply.

IMO its consumers, people like you and me set the tone, If people don't react well to AMD's junk 290X reference coolers AMD will stop putting coolers like that on their cards.

If people didn't react well to nVidia renaming their #80 series cards "Titan" and doubled the price nVidia wouldn't do it.

Its us who set the tone by how we react to what they do.

Associate
Ouch!! that hurts. And the 980Ti is a great card. The wait must be killing you. Maybe bite the bullet and get a 1060 just to tide you over until the next round of cards?

The wait is indeed killing me, it can only just run Destiny 2 on low, but I have to have resolution scaling set to 50% and it looks like playing at 800x600....

Other game I play Rocket League runs like a complete pig even on the ultra lowest settings god knows why.

I did think about what is the cheapest option be it 2nd hand I could get that would tie me over for abit, needs to be cheap but also at least allow me to play games at 1080 with 60 fps even if all settings are on low, guessing a 1060 fits that bill or?

Permabanned
Aaaaaaand... Getting back on track:

The size of the Gsync screen (65") wouldn't interest me, however if 120Hz HDR 4k Gsync is achievable then surely...
  1. Smaller screens will become available?
  2. The next set of Nvidia cards can push those pixels, else what's the point of the 120Hz?

Nor I. I mean, would you really stick it on a desk under 1m away from your face? At 67.78 PPI as well.... horrible. To put that into perspective, 1920x1080 @ 24" is 91.79 PPI.
32" to 40" would be perfect.

This is about PC gaming becoming sofa gaming rather than having it on your desk, I sit the equivalent to 2 desks away from my 34" ultrawide, for something that's 65" I'd need a bigger living room. :D

Associate
Forget Nvidia's 'Titan' Gaming TVs, just give current large monitors a remote and we'll be set. Not like we'd ever have the GPU power to run such a 4k120Hz screen for a few years anyway...

I'm good with my 980ti for the foreseeable future. No amount of overpriced GPUs can tempt me away. And if the 980ti kicks the bucket, I've got a 970 that can come out of retirement. Not like I use the GPU much these days anyway. I've been playing a lot of PS4 recently and probably will continue that way for a good few months.

All that said... it would be nice if there was something released for GPUs this year. But given Vega's poor show and no reason for Nvidia to bother, don't get hopes up. Only thing I can think of is yet another Titan (yawn).

Back
Top Bottom