• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 and GTX 870 to Launch This Q4

So the tinfoil peeps analyzing Hawaii XT and claiming there was die area left on the table weren't crazy after all?

2816 is such an odd number isn't it.

3072 seems to sound a lot better.

Count them :D

amd_next_gen_steamroller_die_640x597.jpg

Humbug you don't apparently know anything about chip layouts lol...

That's not a GPU, it's a CPU. Or more accurately a part of a CPU. It's a single AMD module without the L2 pictured. It's not quite bulldozer, piledriver or steamroller so it's most likely the next gen excavator.

Or a very well made fake.

But how you thought it was a GPU I have no idea...

That's not a GPU, it's a CPU. Or more accurately a part of a CPU. It's a single AMD module without the L2 pictured. It's not quite bulldozer, piledriver or steamroller so it's most likely the next gen excavator.

It is a Steamroller core but who cares, I think Humbug was just having a bit of fun with the pic.

It is a Steamroller core but who cares, I think Humbug was just having a bit of fun with the pic.

I googled Hawaii die picture in images and that's what came up, no Alatar I don't know what the Hawaii die actually looks like, I accept your correction but who cares :p

As Kaap said. its just a bit of fun. :)

No, they didn't. The full fat core GK110 wasn't launched until November 2012 and it wasn't shipped until December to the Oakridge supercomputer. That's 7/8 months after the release of the 680. The gaming version, i.e. the Titan was released end of February 2013.

And they weren't early for their big core, they were actually late.

Its from memory so I may well be out or confusing with press releases but I'm sure they were supplying Oakridge's titan before dec 2012.

My point about going early for their bigger core was in reference to AMD's approach. The economics work out for Nvidia to go earlier on a fab process with a large die design when they have the kind of market/customers who are willing to pay.
None of this really matters now I guess.
True, it is just some not particularly significant history.

Hmm if these cards come with lots of vram I may be tempted to update my 680, Been holding on and holding on for 20nm but getting to the stage now where im going to have to upgrade my CPU/mobo/ram and GPU all at the same time and thats just scary lol

Back
Top Bottom