• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Associate
Head over to Anandtech and bench a 7970 against a 780ti (or even the 970 if they have it added already), and that should give you the information you need to answer this. :)

(The short answer is yes, it will be significantly better)

Oh God, so tempting. Am even considering SLI now. Would a 850w power supply be enough? I assume it would be, seeing as one only needs 450w.

Soldato
People seem to discredit power efficiency as well saying they don't care about it but in the end it saves you money over the hours and hours you use your PC and it also links directly to lower temps and more overclocking headroom.

My two 5850's in crossfire make lots of heat, lots of noise and suck lots of power! Looking forward to quiet gaming :)

Caporegime
People actually care about power consumption on these forums now?! :eek:

I think we should all be under volting/clocking our CPU's, RAM, GPUs and turning eco mode on for everything!

:p

People didn't seem to care about noise, temps and power consumption when the 470/480 came out and likewise for the 2xx series cards, heck people even overclocked them further despite the temps, noise and power consumption, not to mention going SLI/crossfire with them. Whenever you see spec me threads in the past, power consumption has hardly ever been brought up.

Lower power consumption is a nice bonus but not something I would look for in a new GPU, maybe when I had an antec earthwatts 500W PSU.... but not now with my EVGA G2 750W PSU.

I really do like these 970's though... I won't do anything just yet as there isn't much point coming from a 290 + I want to wait and see what freesync monitors will be like as well as seeing what other g-sync monitors come out.

Which ever freesync/gsync monitor has the following specs/price:

- IPS or VA panel
- 29-32" 21.9 aspect ratio/ultrawide
- 2560x1080 or preferably 2560x1440
- no more than £550

Will get my money!

Although I will have to upgrade my CPU/mobo as well if I switched to a nvidia card...

Soldato
People actually care about power consumption on these forums now?! :eek:
I think you be amazed at how many people on here now worry about the power consumption of stuff and how expensive there electric bill is now days..

Times are changing with the high prices of electric/fuel/rent/food etc etc..

Last edited:
Associate
I don't understand what all the fuss is about with these new cards......apart from the price is a bit better....

most folk will not over clock there cards for 24/7 use.a stock 980 is on par with the gtx780ti. not a very big upgrade really......

Caporegime
Having spent the summer gaming on a pair of Titans and then adding a third, I pay close attention to TDP now. How anyone with a pair of 290s cope with the excessive heat is beyond me :D

Associate
I don't understand what all the fuss is about with these new cards......apart from the price is a bit better....

most folk will not over clock there cards for 24/7 use.a stock 980 is on par with the gtx780ti. not a very big upgrade really......

The fuss is that there are thousands of gamers like myself who have been sitting on average cards or only upgrade every 2-3 years finally ready to upgrade, and the 970 in particular is an amazing deal, especially since we can knock off the cost of not needing to buy a new power supply. That's £80 I don't have to shell out.

I've made the jump from an AMD 6950 2GB to a 970 :)

Caporegime
I think you be amazed at how many people on here now worry about the power consumption of stuff and how expensive there electric bill is now days..

Times are changing with the high prices of electric/fuel/rent/food etc etc..

Then why do most people buy 2 top end GPU's for a 1080P monitor? Why overclock them even further? Likewise for CPU etc.

:p

Caporegime
Yeah and you can now run two top end GPU's around 300w instead of 600+

CPU's TDP is nowhere near GPU's

My point is, if people really are concerned about power consumption now, why go for an overkill gaming rig for 1080P and overclock even further when one top end GPU (at stock clocks) is usually more than enough?

i.e. my stock 290 copes perfectly fine for pretty much every current game at max settings (I don't use AA) @ 2560x1080 except for crysis 3.

Kind of true (depending on CPU and OC...), but at the end of the day, it all adds up! :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom