• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
With a lot of focus on AMD's new cards launching this week, thought it would be an ideal time to have some discussion with rumors and conjecture about what's next for the green team :p.

Maxwell is rumored to have over twice the performance per watt of Kepler architecture.

NVIDIA-2014_zps83689ce4.jpg

Some sites claim that Maxwell will launch much earlier than expected on 28nm. The reason for the early launch is to respond to AMD's upcoming Hawaii architecture - http://videocardz.com/45417/why-maxwell-will-probably-launch-on-28nm-process

Nvidia's Maxwell will be the firm's first GPU architecture that is able to access main memory - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...xwell-gpu-architecture-will-access-system-ram

Could Maxwell be just around the corner?

Soldato
OP
Yeah the most likely thing to happen could be price drops on the 7XX stack, and release a new 'halo' part the Titan Ultra or GTX 790 moniker to claim the performance crown. They could ride that out until 20nm, although 20nm is still a long ways off according to some sites. Guess it all depends on how good AMD's Hawaii is.

Soldato
OP
I dont see why nvidia are going to be bothered by the Hawaii release that much. They have already reaped the benefits of having a card performing at Titan levels since February and they have sold very well. They have also had a good 3 months headstart on releasing a more wallet friendly 780 ( although still overpriced in my opinion).

The R9 290x looks like it will just about beat the Titan but AMD are a bit late to the party in my opinion. Nvidia have probably already made a heap of money on the Titan and 780 due to AMD providing zero competition for 8 months. Nvidia can probably stand to reduce prices a bit and probably release a slightly faster Titan to take back the single GPU crown.

Agreed,

With regard to price drops, brightsideofnews think Nvidia price drops are likely.

Even if you never plan to buy one of AMD's new GPUs, this is good news for you because Nvidia will likely be forced to drop the prices of their GTX 780 and GTX Titan GPUs at the very least and possibly even the rest of their GPUs in order to pre-emptively prepare for AMD's new Volcanic Islands line up.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...ctures-and-benchmarks-of-amd-hawaii-leak.aspx

Soldato
OP
The one thing I do think is it will be very good bang for buck, they will be selling it for somewhat less than the HD7990.

Wait... Did Kaapstad.. A sentence with bang for buck?!

Nevermind..

Have a feeling Maxwell is going to be amazing, even if AMD's new cards are 5% - 10% faster than Titan, think it might be worth waiting for Maxwell..

*Edit*

maxwell is likely a year away.

In that case not worth waiting for then.

Soldato
OP
Alleged NVIDIA Maxwell Architectural Specifications Unveiled

NVIDIA Maxwell GM100:

The NVIDIA Maxwell GM100 chip would consist of 8 GPCs consisting of 24 SMX modules (3 SMX Per GPC), 384 TMUs, 6144 Cuda Cores, 8 MB of L3 Cache (8 L2 cache’s per GPC), 64 ROPs, a 512-bit interface followed by a VRAM upto 8 GB GDDR5 operation at around 6 GHz. The GM100 is supposed to replace the high-performance GK110 chip so its going to end up in both GeForce parts and Tesla parts. It will probably show up in the Tesla parts first before shipping to consumers.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/alleged-nvidia-...project-denver-maxwell-refresh/#ixzz2iSr2eSGK

Soldato
OP
That will be a beast but reading that report, he goes on to talk about Volta. That sounds like some serious power with no memory bandwidth limitations, with its stacked memory having 1TB/s speed. Will this be the single GPU to power 4K? I would like to think so.

Finally some proper upgrades, the stuff we had this year has been incremental, a few percent here and their. I'm saving my money up for next year. This is what I will swap to next year.

GTX 780 > GTX 880 'Maxwell'
4770K 4 core CPU > Haswell-E 8 core CPU
DDR3 > DDR4

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a plan but I thought DDR4 was kinda out but skipped?

DDR4 is coming with Haswell-E first, then I think the mainstream i.e Skylake the year after, so 2014 for Haswell-E / 2015 for Skylake.

Yeah will be a big upgrade next year, twice the CPU cores, faster,and lower power system memory. Plus monster 20nm GPU's. This year is very 'meh' in comparison imo. Going to try my best not to get sucked into 290X / 780ti hype and save money for the real deal next year lol.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Hahaha SemiAccurate throwing their toys out the pram, as they once again get ignored by nVidia. I look forward to the next article they come up with that is completely unbiased about them. :o

I do hope some info gets leaked out from somewhere :)

Haha, yeah that guy is clearly a bit mental, but at least we have different sources pointing to Nvidia releasing some Maxwell info soon. Really looking forward to Nvidia's Maxwell, I have read a lot of interesting things... More than just a die shrink.. Access to system memory etc, potential on board CPU cores..

Haswell -E and Maxwell in 2014, awesome.

Soldato
OP
I can see me hanging onto this 3930K for a couple of years. Simply the best CPU I have ever used. Maxwell does have me intrigued and using an ARM GPPC chip built in will be very interesting.

I've just downgraded my rig, mainly due to serious over spending at Xmas / new year, need to re coup some funds asap lol, gaming on PS4 more now, not so much PC tbh (Except BF4) so thought an easy way to recoup some money back, sold my 4770K on MM and put my 290X on MM now as well, soon my 1TB SSD..

I'm looking to build an entire new PC either late 2014 or early 2015, CPU (8 core Haswell -E or AMD CPU when / if AMD launch new chips), mobo, GPU, case, and prob 4K screen :p the whole lot lol.

Hopefully this Xeon 1230V2, HD 7950 + Mantle on BF4 will see me through until then.. Actually this Xeon chip is surprisingly fast..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You sure they are not gonna just launch smaller die mid/high range as a high-end x70/x80 and hold back the proper high-end to wait for AMD launch, then they release what's suppose had been 870, 880, 880Ti, 885, and 885Ti and so on? :D

I mean looking at the GK104...that's worked REALLY well for Nvidia (in terms of revenue) :p

Well either way you look at that, if a smaller die is faster than 780ti and Titan in the same way the 680 was faster than the GTX 580, than I'm sure it would be welcomed. I have a feeling AMD will be coming guns blazing with Pirates Islands, so I doubt Nvidia could get away with another mid / smaller die offering to tackle AMD's new high end. I imagine both camps will release nice upgrade to current cards. A lot of rumors of the first iteration of new architecture 28nm cards in Q1/Q2, with later revision coming on 20nm in Q4..

Hopefully Nvidia's event over the weekend will finally shed some light on the 20nm situation..

Personally I'm holding out until later this year / early next year before an upgrade, I want 20nm and a decent 8 core from Intel or AMD if/when they do launch something new... You never know with Mantle, might not even need an upgrade...

Soldato
OP
NVIDIA Maxwell, Denver CPU, Shield 2 and Tegra 5 Announcements Expected Tomorrow At CES 2014

NVIDIA would hold their CES 2014 Conference tomorrow at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas announcing new technologies such as their brand new Tegra 5 mobile SOC, new gaming technologies under the Gameworks brand and possibly unveiling new details regarding their Maxwell GPUs and Denver CPU.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...d-tomorrow-ces-2014-conference/#ixzz2pQxmYvmR

Soldato
OP
^^ Looking forward to a new build in Q4 2014/Q1 2015, based around Maxwell GPU..

Nvidia GeForce GTX 880
Intel Core i7 5820K CPU
Gigabyte X99 Motherboard
32GB DDR4

Yeah boi ..

Back
Top Bottom