• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Associate
My guess is that it'll run fine on 8/8.1 and 9.

Windows was supposed to be a unifying OS between tablets, laptops, desktops etc and even Xbox One i'm sure borrows significant code from Windows 8. Considering they need this to boost performance on Xbox one I really can't see them restricting it to Windows 9 only in a bid to boost sales to gamers.

I don't think the XBOne has much to do with Windows in this sense - sure, it'll make porting games easier but in which direction? Also there's already significant press and statements from MS saying that DX12 will not have any significant effect on XBOne performance. MS haven't really shown any desire to 'share' games between platforms, only to make it easier for developers to move between them. In that vein I don't think DX12 on Windows means much to XBOne sales - there's already enough similarity in developing for the platforms frankly.

Associate
Y'all forget about Win2K?? Greatest OS until 7 came along. Coming from non-NT it felt rock solid and unbreakable.

...and yet it was completely crap on launch. So was XP in many senses but mostly this has been forgotten. Both suffered from teething troubles (funnily enough just like Vista did - and for much the same reasons e.g. Drivers).

Yeah I like 8 too - it's basically a faster, more secure Win7 with more options for power users.

Caporegime
I don't think the XBOne has much to do with Windows in this sense - sure, it'll make porting games easier but in which direction? Also there's already significant press and statements from MS saying that DX12 will not have any significant effect on XBOne performance. MS haven't really shown any desire to 'share' games between platforms, only to make it easier for developers to move between them. In that vein I don't think DX12 on Windows means much to XBOne sales - there's already enough similarity in developing for the platforms frankly.

Can you link to that statement? I'm interested in reading it :)

Soldato
...and yet it was completely crap on launch. So was XP in many senses but mostly this has been forgotten. Both suffered from teething troubles (funnily enough just like Vista did - and for much the same reasons e.g. Drivers).

Yeah I like 8 too - it's basically a faster, more secure Win7 with more options for power users.

Fair enough, I actually liked Vista even though I had an nForce mobo.

Soldato
Y'all forget about Win2K?? Greatest OS until 7 came along. Coming from non-NT it felt rock solid and unbreakable.

I deliberately left it out...Win2K was released as an enterprise OS, WinME was the OS released for the general consumer at the same time, remember, this was when MS has enterprise OSs & consumer OSs. It ran as the enterprise OS all through WinME & WinXP (which was the first consumer OS built on WinNT backbone).

Win2K was very good, as was WinNT, but you couldn't easily buy a home PC with it on.

Man of Honour

XP however had a model that was familiar to many people and had many options to go back to classic functionality people generally were happier with it once compatibility and resistance to something new was got over or fixed. The problem with vista was mainly down to some fairly minor issues but ones that were a drag to work around in daily use i.e. adding extra steps over what people were used to to get to a feature/function or putting them in non-intuitive places, 7 is basically vista with those tiny things fixed (as well as some performance fixes which mostly got rolled back to vista) if those tiny things don't bother you in every day use it can be hard to understand why vista is so broken for a good percentage of users and why 7 that is in many ways so similar a huge success.

Back
Top Bottom