• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Looks identical to Win8, sigh. Microsoft milking inbound.

It's Windows 8 with a start menu..

Bit of polish and voila a new release that will hopefully not be bogged down with the same bad reputation as Windows 8 did.

Personally using 8.1 and think it's great, if W9 gets good PR people will say it's amazing and likely just be like W8 lol. Good PR makes all the difference..

Caporegime
I like and am using Win 8.1 too, but it's annoying to have to upgrade to something which is going to be identical except for DX12 support. DX12 could and should be added to 8. Nonetheless if it's Win 9 only as i think it will be, that's good for Mantle.

Soldato
I like and am using Win 8.1 too, but it's annoying to have to upgrade to something which is going to be identical except for DX12 support. DX12 could and should be added to 8. Nonetheless if it's Win 9 only as i think it will be, that's good for Mantle.

I don't mind upgrading to get Dx12 as long as Windows 9 is decent. I like windows 8.1 myself, but I am hoping that windows 9 is as much of an improvement over 8.1 as Windows 7 was over Vista.

Permabanned
There are still huge improvements to be made, Mantle highlighted how lazy Microsoft were because they had it good with 100% coverage of games. Now we know a lot better can be done and Mantle has forced thier hand.

Who will force Microsofts on the actual OS though? I see it in the same light maybe 25% is lost to wasted cycles and bloat. You can compare it yourself to a copy of Tiny XP under DX 9 V Vista/7/8 on Source. The minimum fps should be at least 5fps more. And i think the more mobile orientated the OS might become could become either good or bad as well because more stuff in the OS is just more bloat.

Caporegime
Looks identical to Win8, sigh. Microsoft milking inbound.

Milking? then they really don't learn.

Windows 8 BETA feed back:

# Hate Metro UI
# Put the Windows 7 Start menu back
# The colour scheme is horrible, bring back Aero

MS didn't listen, abysmal sales

later.

MS, "Ok we will put the start menu back"

Windows 8.1 as Windows 8 with one difference, a button where the start menu once was with "Start" written on it, click on it and your in the Metro UI, still no start menu.

So when they said "we will bring back the start menu" they were being deliberately dumb by putting a button there with start written on it that takes you to Metro UI.

Now they may put a Win 7 Start menu there, but will they listen to the complaints about how 8 looks? or are sales of Windows 7 going to continue to smash sales of 8/.1 and 9?

Soldato

W8 will defiantly have DX12 :)

MS didn't listen, abysmal sales

By abysmal you mean the second best selling O/S in history, which is extremely impressive considering 7 was eagerly awaited (as XP was 8 years old and Vista had failed) and 8 wasn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
W8 will defiantly have DX12 :)

By abysmal you mean the second best selling O/S in history, which is extremely impressive considering 7 was eagerly awaited (as XP was 8 years old and Vista had failed) and 8 wasn't.
Shame the chances are dx12 won't be on Win7 :o

Let's face it, XP->Win7->Win8-Win8.1 is "one step forward, two steps back, 1 step forward" :p To fix Win 8, they had to make it more like Window 7 and became Win8.1 :D

Win8 could well be a flop, and Win9 is probably the real successor to Win7 :p

I wouldn't use Win8 by choice, but the fact is that they come with every laptop from retailers in the recent years...my laptop for work included.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this fact or wishing?

Fact, Vista/7/8/9 are the same core O/S at heart with mostly subtle differences, something that works on one should work on all three unless something untoward is going on (I.E a lockout), because of this the only way W8 won't get DX12 is if Microsoft specifically make the installer not run on W8, in which case the community will just do it for them like they did for Vista and DX11.

Associate
Fact, Vista/7/8/9 are the same core O/S at heart with mostly subtle differences, something that works on one should work on all three unless something untoward is going on (I.E a lockout), because of this the only way W8 won't get DX12 is if Microsoft specifically make the installer not run on W8, in which case the community will just do it for them like they did for Vista and DX11.

That presupposes that W9 will not contain and significant architectural differences to support DX12. It also ignores the problem of support - sticking sw on two OS' instead of one has cost. That said I suspect it will run on 8 but since they've yet to announce anything (and that 9 is probably a very different product than originally projected) we'll have to wait and see. So i'm afraid it's wishing not fact yet mate!

Caporegime
My guess is that it'll run fine on 8/8.1 and 9.

Windows was supposed to be a unifying OS between tablets, laptops, desktops etc and even Xbox One i'm sure borrows significant code from Windows 8. Considering they need this to boost performance on Xbox one I really can't see them restricting it to Windows 9 only in a bid to boost sales to gamers.

Caporegime

lol how can you say it's fact?

I think it's very likely DX12 will be W9 only, maybe 8.1 at a push.

Soldato
lol how can you say it's fact?

I think it's very likely DX12 will be W9 only, maybe 8.1 at a push.

Because W9 is a minor O/S release not major, to put it in perspective the last major Windows O/S releases were 3.0, 95, 2000 and Vista, the ones in between were just updated/modified variants of the previous major release.

The will be two scenarios:

A: Microsoft release DX12 for W8
B: The community hacks the installer for W8, then Microsoft release it anyway.

W8 DX12 is basically a sure thing either way, if MS don't do it officially then community hacks for W7 are also on the horizon, Vista is very unlikely as although just as possible the simply isn't the community support to get it done.

Back
Top Bottom