• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
Yeah, Titan X might well have 12GB though if they plan are marketing is a compute/gaming monster like previous Titan's, but GTX 980 Ti should have 6GB.

Imho we'll see Titan X in Feb and then 980 Ti in Q3/Q4.. Just like a repeat of the 6XX / Original Titan launch.

Excuses me for being dumb as I've not had an Nvidia card for a quite a while.

Which will be the better card out of the 2. Titan X or 980ti? I thought it was the same thing!

:confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
So Maxwell is due next month? Wouldn't we have heard of anymore news by now?

So I have a situation. I haven't had a PC for years and currently using a laptop. I've already made a thread and been specced up my future build (next months build). Plan was to purchase the GTX 980 Windforce. The card is on sale at the moment with around £8 off I think it is. Would it be worthwhile waiting until we get to next month to see if the prices will fall on the 980's? or will the prices not fall much at all / not at all?

I'm guessing these new cards will be out of my price range for now. How much did the original Titan cost?

Soldato
OP
Excuses me for being dumb as I've not had an Nvidia card for a quite a while.

Which will be the better card out of the 2. Titan X or 980ti?

:confused:

It's an impossible thing to say without benchmarks and reviews.. We don't know what the finalized spec will be yet so a bit early lol to say lol.

One thing that will be important is whether Titan X / 980Ti both have the same number of Cuda Cores. As an example the Titan Black and 780 Ti both have 2888 cores, the Titan Black had twice the vram and more compute enabled, but.. In terms of gaming the 780 Ti was as good as the Titan Black, yes the extra vram came in handy and does help at higher res, but was it worth all that extra money? Even now the gap between the cards is very small so it's totally subjective. Your wallet or more vram / compute..

In terms of gaming, if Titan X / 980 Ti both have the same core count, then the 980 Ti would be a better card in terms of gaming value, and gaming performance likely very similar, but in sheer performance and features the Titan X would be the better card. The price though will be key, would Titan X be worth that extra money. It's totally subjective to the buyer, so a personal decision.

For all we know AMD is about to blow them all away..

Roll on release and reviews !

Last edited:
Permabanned
You can not compare ROPs on an NVidia card to ROPs on an AMD card they are different lol.

You mentioned compression as well, remember anything NVidia can do with it AMD can also do. AMD also got there first with the 285 so it is not beyond them to do it.

Yes you can compare ROPS from both vendors... They're just ROPS and don't vary that much between designs.

Fill rate is a massive things for 4k and the R9 cards have a 25% advantage which will come into play when you're pushing serious amounts of pixels.

And I know AMD can do what Nvidia can with delta compression, I've already said that in the AMD thread.

Permabanned
Both Tanks and Cars have drive wheels that operate using the same principle but they are very different.

No you can not compare ROPS on AMD and NVidia cards.

Both tanks and cars are built for different purposes so that was a stupid analogy to use.

And if you do some reading on the respective architectures throughput per ROP is the same between vendors with only final clock speed affecting fill rate.

So yes you can compare ROPS.

Soldato
Both tanks and cars are built for different purposes so that was a stupid analogy to use.

And if you do some reading on the respective architectures throughput per ROP is the same between vendors with only final clock speed affecting fill rate.

So yes you can compare ROPS.

It's like comparing 2 buildings that have the same exact exterior shape, 1 is made from steel and glass while the other is made from bricks, sure they might have the same shape exterior but the materials used and internals are very different i.e different architecture ;)

Soldato
Sorry, I've not read the whole thread so it may have been asked already, but seeing as Maxwell is quite efficient I wondered what the chances are of us seeing a dual Maxwell card?

Back
Top Bottom