1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by EVH, 1 Oct 2020.

1. CrazyGreggy

Gangster

Haven't looked, but those with more knowledge might know if India's proposed "ban" on private crypto and China's crackdown on mining have had an impact?

2. Alt0153

Gangster

go lok at the prices and supply of gfx cards and answer your own question

3. CrazyGreggy

Gangster

And how will "loking" at the prices and supply of gfx cards give me instant expertise in cryptocurrency, the law relating to cryptocurrency in 2 countries I've never been to and the impact of said law on those prices and supply?

4. turbot1984

Mobster

Over 14 months since 3080 came out ... nothing in stock still? Bananas.

5. Alt0153

Gangster

do you see cards in stock at anywhere near msrp? there is your answer *******

6. delvey

Gangster

Been plenty of stock. Just sold out quickly.

7. delvey

Gangster

Whats the MSRP then?

8. turbot1984

Mobster

here it is ;)
    [​IMG]

9. delvey

Gangster

Yes, that's the MSRP of the FOUNDERS EDITION.
    Also note it says "starting price" I.e that's the minimum amount. There is no MSRP for AIB cards.

10. ljt

Mobster

AIB's used to have MSRP's in previous generation launches, so why have they suddenly decided to stop now?

11. delvey

Gangster

Can you point to me where, for example, Asus have ever stated a MSRP?

12. ljt

Mobster

Top of the review page;
    https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/asus-geforce-gtx-980-ti-strix-review/1/

Bottom of first page;
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-gtx-1080-strix/

Direct from Asus site;
    https://rog.asus.com/articles/gamin...nd-rtx-2080-graphics-cards-from-rog-and-asus/

13. Mindrust

Associate

I recently had to RMA my 3080 eagle to gigabyte. Can't really fault the UK team. They received my card on the 26th Nov and have returned by the 1st Dec.

I had several crashes and once or twice had some artefecting. I had a notification from DPD saying my deliver was due on the 1st. I asked gigabyte what was wrong. They said that they have sent me a new card.
    No idea if they even tested it, they just said in the email it was replaced for new.

14. delvey

Gangster

15. ljt

Mobster

I spent 5 minutes looking. I wasn't going to waste any more of my time finding something I already knew. I don't call the last link from Asus direct "not a msrp" if they say a price then that's their msrp as far as I'm concerned.

And if you read my previous message I said it was funny how this release they decided not to release a price, yet they have in every other previous generations.

I really don't understand why people keep making excuses and trying to make it seem like this is something completely normal, it simply isn't. Do some people feel the need to defend faceless corporations that strongly? It really is quite shocking

16. delvey

Gangster

But the Asus link isn't a MSRP. That's the price they have decided to charge.
    And I'm not making excuses. People the completely wrong idea with MSRP, and that Nvidias own MSRP is different from Asus, MSI, EVGA etc etc (and even Nvidia themselves state starting price or starting from)

17. ljt

Mobster

I'm well aware each AiB has their own msrp, never said anything to the contrary. I know nvidi have their own msrp for their FE cards.

And in every previous generational launch AiB price their SKUs generally ranging from the same price as nvidia fe cards or around $20-$100 more for their higher end models with better cooling etc.

This time around though that hasn't happened. They haven't even suggested what their prices are and the prices in retailers are 50% to 100% more than FE. That's unprecedented, I've never seen it before in 20+ years of buying PC parts.

And If the suggested price on Asus own website isn't proof of a Manufacturer suggested retail price then I don't know what is. I really can't be arsed carrying on this discussion if you don't accept a Manufacturer saying this is the price of our cards on their own website isn't a msrp.

18. delvey

Gangster

Your not getting it are you?
    Guess what? And to make it clear, PRICES CHANGE, so that isn't a MSRP, that is the price when that website was published. Same with the reviews.

The only manufacturer I have seen post a price is EVGA, but even they sent out an email a few months back saying they had to put prices up due to manufacturing cost increases.

19. ljt

Mobster

And you still arent understanding me either. If a manufacturer states this card are priced at $999 - that is a MSRP. If they then 6 months later, say that due to unforseen circumstances that same card is now $1100, thats an updated MSRP, but it's still an MSRP. Although I've not seen any AIB raise prices after launch in previous generations, they generally stay around the initial MSRP and then drop at the end of the products life cycle.

What I'm saying is this time around, we didn't get any initial AIB's announcing a price at all, it seemed to be a free for all. The prices are just going up and up and up. For example - I don't for one minute believe it's costing AIB's $300 - $400 more for a 3080 over the FE price, yet that is what they are being sold at in retailers. I think they are gouging as much as they can. Nobody will convince me otherwise, so I'll leave this discussion because we obviously will never agree, so I'm out.

20. alphaomega16

Wise Guy

Last edited: 7 Dec 2021