• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
So who's pre-ordering a 4080?
undecided yet. my issue is from what I've seen so far unless you are specifically using dlss 3.0 games then its barely an upgrade over a 3080ti. 4090 seems like the only serious upgrade for all use cases but thats a Crazy expensive card. Tbh it will depend what I can sell my 3080ti for and what real world performance is like. I can afford the upgrade, question is do I want to spend it. If it doesn't feel worth I may not, Not gonna rush in to anything, might wait and see what RDNA 3 is like first.

Associate
Yeah, I'm with you on this but the greed is too strong over at Nvidia...
Not defending Nvidia here, they could defo sell them for less than they are, but the days of a 80 tier card for 650 are well and truly over. TSMC raised their costs by 25% alone, add on top of that inflation, and then the fact the pound just dropped off a cliff, it makes somewhat more sense why they are so expensive for us.

Associate
Not defending Nvidia here, they could defo sell them for less than they are, but the days of a 80 tier card for 650 are well and truly over. TSMC raised their costs by 25% alone, add on top of that inflation, and then the fact the pound just dropped off a cliff, it makes somewhat more sense why they are so expensive for us.
But they're still expensive over the pond, too. JH is a fan of the premium pricing model, that's why they're so expensive. I agree with your points: TSMC price hike, inflation, currency, etc. but they're still priced very high and very few will think it a fair price. Do I think it will stop people from buying in? Nope.

OcUK Staff
If these prices like I'm seeing on ocuk are true. over 2k for a 4090 I've changed my mind. that is not worth it at all. especially when a founders card in the USA is 1500 USD.

FE card has an MSRP of $1599
As GPU's are purchased in USD we are held hostage by the weak pound so $1599 divided by 1.07 (GBP to USD rate) equals £1495 and then add 20% VAT for the tax man brings the UK MSRP too £1793 at the current exchange rate of 1.07.

If the pound weakens more, the price goes up. If the pound gains strength the prices does down.
AIB cards are more expensive than FE cards, so yes around £2000 with VAT.

Soldato
It's a tough pill to swallow that much extra for some RGB and a different cooling system.

If they launch that high I'd go for the Founders Edition and have my next 6 triple A Pre ordered games "free".

Realise we are all at the mercy of the exchange rate however.

Last edited:
Associate
FE card has an MSRP of $1599
As GPU's are purchased in USD we are held hostage by the weak pound so $1599 divided by 1.07 (GBP to USD rate) equals £1495 and then add 20% VAT for the tax man brings the UK MSRP too £1793 at the current exchange rate of 1.07.

If the pound weakens more, the price goes up. If the pound gains strength the prices does down.
AIB cards are more expensive than FE cards, so yes around £2000 with VAT.

yeah I was recently looking at this. We aren't alone in our currency losing a lot of relative value, its just we are at the worser end of it.
FdvrcAQXwAEO5Xi

Associate
The Federal Reserve printed approximately $3.3 trillion in 2020 alone, which equates to one-fifth of all US dollars in circulation in the same year.

Worked for them!

Last edited:
Soldato
The Federal Reserve printed approximately $3.3 trillion in 2020 alone, which equates to one-fifth of all US dollars in circulation in the same year.

Worked for them!

Why did it work for them? Because the US dollar is the reserve currency of the world. Why do other countries accept this? Because they have the largest and seemingly most powerful military to back it up.

UK lost most power and influence as a result of WW2, we're small fry now, so can't just print out way out of this. We can try - though the value of the £ would just collapse.

Back
Top Bottom