• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I've more or less said this myself. There's a lot of people very angry because the truth is that things are going to take months to get going and that wait is painful. But the anger translates to a lot of really bad reasoning. Some are even calling for ending pre order queues, and to me that's just dumb. If your primary goal is to get the hardware into your hands as fast as possible then you want a guaranteed place in a queue, it sucks that could be months before delivery but it sucks LESS than simply waiting for general availability of stock and then playing a lottery with them which will be significantly longer wait. Even if it was just a few of us that thought it was a good idea then at least we have a business that can provide that service which I'm personally grateful for.

This could have been handled better in numerous ways, but none of those things would get you the card any faster, all it would have been doing is managing your expectations. The anger mostly comes from the violation of expectations. It's a really helpful skill to learn in life, to be really cautious how you set up your own expectations so that they're unlikely to be violated. We knew there was supply problems early on so really getting an idea in your head of when you'd get your card was a risky ol' game. I kept an open mind and when I got my queue position I wasn't too bothered.
To me its the promises that have been broken. I feel conned tbh. I expected a wait and i had my eye on a card but OC by putting ETAs on certain products gave me a false expectation and made me choose a different card. Had i chosen the card id originally wanted its entirely possible it could have been in this PC now. The promise that OC are in the better position to procure stock which seems to be disproved daily atm.

There's a stock shortage yes, but other competitors, to me, are handling this much, much better.

I see your point when it comes to pre-orders. I think the horse has bolted on that one. They should have closed off the orders when it became unrealistic that they were going to be able to supply what they promised. Other retailers have done this. By keeping pre-orders open OC appear greedy and to not care when/if they can supply a product within a reasonable timeframe. There's not even a mention of it on the status page. There is now queues into the 1000s and i dont think that is acceptable. Some people ordering today and using finance wont have any idea of the wait and will be stuck waiting. I think trapping customers like this is wrong. Maybe thats just me?

Well actually I've tracked the queue movement not just of myself but others through the collective spreadsheet that has been done to try and work out some metrics and I'm also taking the queue lengths from the other place and comparing them and it doesn't look like actual shipped numbers differ between them all that much. And queue lengths can vary quite a lot just due to cancellations, some people giving anecdotal information on their position in the queue (especially those near the back of the queue) are reporting large leaps in position but when you do the math it's more to do with cancellations ahead of them than amount that has shipped. So I'd take what you read on reddit with a pinch of salt. Unless they're also tracking queues like members of this forum have been https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nqzTL2tEIl5FLQqZLdTeJ2iLAOBR-yVURCgbsTn5LSU/ then anecdotes are going to be unreliable.
I'm talking mainly about people showing off their brand new cards (strix as an example) from uk retailers before OC even got any

Last edited:
Associate
I've more or less said this myself. There's a lot of people very angry because the truth is that things are going to take months to get going and that wait is painful. But the anger translates to a lot of really bad reasoning. Some are even calling for ending pre order queues, and to me that's just dumb. If your primary goal is to get the hardware into your hands as fast as possible then you want a guaranteed place in a queue, it sucks that could be months before delivery but it sucks LESS than simply waiting for general availability of stock and then playing a lottery with them which will be significantly longer wait. Even if it was just a few of us that thought it was a good idea then at least we have a business that can provide that service which I'm personally grateful for.

This could have been handled better in numerous ways, but none of those things would get you the card any faster, all it would have been doing is managing your expectations. The anger mostly comes from the violation of expectations. It's a really helpful skill to learn in life, to be really cautious how you set up your own expectations so that they're unlikely to be violated. We knew there was supply problems early on so really getting an idea in your head of when you'd get your card was a risky ol' game. I kept an open mind and when I got my queue position I wasn't too bothered.

The problem is that they have taken your money. I have not ordered mine from OC but another major site, same problem there. I have no issue whatsoever waiting, I do have an issue with companies taking my money when they don't have a clue when they can fulfil their part of the bargain.

Soldato
Never been good with queues. I have got into several notable places by coughing loudly and walking in the exit, Alhambra in Grenada my favourite, dodged a good two hour queue.
In the virtual world this may be more difficult.

Associate
Its quite alarming that little / no TUF stock have been received up to yet.

Likewise the amount of fully grown men on here bleating about it on a daily basis. Have a word with yourselves for christ sake.

Associate
I agree with this. Expectations are the problem. However some expectations were set due to misleading info on the OCUK website. For example showing cards as being in stock or due to be in stock on nearby dates. They learnt from their mistake and for 3090s listed everything as pre-order.

Also the OCUK website states that they have access to more stock than anyone else, but other companies appear to have shipped some cards that OCUK have shipped none of. It may be true for some brands that they have access to more, and it may be that a huge load of cards is on its way by boat that exceed what others will be offering. However, currently people are making comparisons on what is currently shipping.

As for me, I am OK with waiting for the card. But I do feel that OCUK could have handled expectations better, and could have dealt with complaints on trustpilot better. Copy and pasted responses to all complaints there.

And I agree, as I said I don't think it was handled very well, I was critical very early on that a queue system was taking weeks. And I think it's still being handled badly to some degree, the product pages should be listing that preorders placed today likely will take months to be supplied to manage peoples expectations right up front, and that would avoid the negative reviews.

But my point was kinda, that's all it is, it is just an expectations problem. People are all up in arms mad about this but none of these short comings change anything about the reality of the delays and the wait. The queue is what it is, you're going to have to wait, and you're going to have to wait the same amount of time no matter what information you're given in between. If there was another potential source of getting these cards or you could make some meaningful choice based on the updates then it'd be more important but the simple fact is that there's no stock anywhere there's just huge queues.

Associate
Let's face it, updates aren't going to change , keeping quiet is the only way to stop people from dropping their orders.

I have a new open loop ekwb build & monitor to match the 3080 performance and no GPU so I will have to wait.

However if i had a pc that works today for what i need it for, i would wait until next year as clearly these cards have little room for OC (bit of a waste to put it underwater as wont see much of an increase in performance) probably due to the samsung chipset that is getting replaced in 2021 for a better chip, those will probably be 3080 super or Ti cards..

Associate
And you should know by now that they cannot do that because Nvidia has placed an NDA over all the retaillers and breaking it means they get zero product.

So they say, but I've not seen this from any official source... But something stinks about all of this. Also taking money up front is what makes people madder at OC and their lack of news. If you can't share shipment details with paying customers then don't take their money till you can. I'd call that common decency

Associate
The problem is that they have taken your money. I have not ordered mine from OC but another major site, same problem there. I have no issue whatsoever waiting, I do have an issue with companies taking my money when they don't have a clue when they can fulfil their part of the bargain.
There are various reasons for doing that and I don't see the issue. Your money is safe and can be claimed back if the worst should happen. It's not like the interest is anything special on £700.
It's the kind of product which, although popular, it isn't mass market. As a company, they also need to ensure the order placed is credible.

Back
Top Bottom