• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****NVIDIA GTX 780 IS HERE & IN STOCK - GET ONE TODAY!!**

Soldato
Thought it's always how it goes with pricing around here- UK price (with VAT inc.) always seem to be around US price minus $50-$60, and then turn the $ sigh into £ :p

Converting dollars to pounds and then add VAT? Na...it's never gonna work like that, unless it is lower end cards, or cards that's been launch for at least around 2-3 months :p

Yeah no, you'll actually see that for the vast majority of computer hardware that's exactly how it works.

$649 converted to GBP is £430+ 20% VAT is £516, call it £520.

So OcUK's prices on some cards are within 5% of that.

People say this sort of nonsense again and again and again and and completely ignore the facts what they're pointed out to them.

Also, $649 is not including any USA sales tax either.

Soldato
Yeah no, you'll actually see that for the vast majority of computer hardware that's exactly how it works.

People say this sort of nonsense again and again and again and and completely ignore the facts what they're pointed out to them.

Agreed, there is typical price gouging going on here, but lets not forget it's Nvidias fault the 780 is $649 in the first place.

OcUK Staff
OP

This.
If the US got such better pricing then we'd simply purchase from USA instead of Hong Kong for example. The product is sold in USD to us and it's pretty much the same price for us to buy from Europe, Far East or USA.

If America had this myth of better pricing then we'd import all from US and undercut the UK Market.

Soldato
Sorry to state the obvious but how is a few extra fps worth £180. These are the actions of greedy nvidia at its best. More fool those who buy into this rubbish. You can get xfire 7970 for the same money!!!!

Soldato
The argument on price can be applied to almost everything. Why buy a Ferrari when you can get a Nissan that's just as fast. Why buy Levi's when asda jeans do the same job. Why buy Heinz etc etc...

It is the same with pretty much everything.

Soldato

I think you are taking it out of context here. Someone mentioned strictly the price difference between the EVGA card in US and UK, and I was referring specifically to that.

And I never said US's price included their tax, I merely implied that to get a rough idea of UK price with VAT, it often doesn't fall far off the US price (without tax) minus 50-60 and then that's UK's price with VAT included (i.e. The Titan was $899 without tax, and "coinstantly" it was £840 with VAT included in the UK, which was 900-60, and the EVGA GTX780's $650 without tax vs £590 with tax just so happened to be 650-60 :p)

I think you took my joke far too seriously and over-interpreting it. You need to chill out.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
shouldnt the 780 be more expensive than the Titan? after all Nvidia had to spend more on labour costs to cut part of it off

Associate
After one of my 580's packed up and the obligatory upgrade beckoned, I knew it was a choice of a Titan or wait for the new release. I'm a one monitor (24") type of guy, so the 780's fit. Appreciate that the price will go down in a while, but I need some performance back. The new cards arrive Saturday. Impulsive, but I need the visual boost and don't want to wait. Hope the drivers get up to speed quickly. :)

Soldato
I think you are taking it out of context here. Someone mentioned stricting the price difference between the EVGA card, and I was referring to that.

And I never said US's price included their tax, I merely said co-instantly to get a rough idea of UK price with VAT, it often doesn't fall far off the US price without tax minus 50-60 and then that's UK's price with VAT included (i.e. The Titan was $899 without tax, and "co-instantly" it was £840 with VAT included in the UK, which was 900-60, and the EVGA GTX780's $650 without tax vs £590 with tax just so happened to be 650-60 :p)

I think you took my joke far too seriously and over-interpreting it. You need to chill out.

What's co-instantly?

Ohh, "I know I'm joking based on your response" as well?

*FACEPALM*

Soldato
No thanks. I will be waiting till end of the year before my next upgrade. Will get AMD or Nvidia we will wait and see what cards at the time offer best.

@£600 I think Nvidia quite well over price there cards.

Associate
i know this is brand new tech but i am amazed how much graphics cards are becoming, especially high end ones i remember when top of the line was 3 - 400 pounds max. Nvidia in its dominance is becoming a greedy fat corporation squeezing consumers in a world of Austerity and recession.

granted Nvidia brings out a range of cards but with the high being set so high this make the mid and even lower cards far more pricey than they should be or have been in the past. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
i know this is brand new tech but i am amazed how much graphics cards are becoming, especially high end ones i remember when top of the line was 3 - 400 pounds max. Nvidia in its dominance is becoming a greedy fat corporation squeezing consumers in a world of Austerity and recession.

granted Nvidia brings out a range of cards but with the high being set so high this make the mid and even lower cards far more pricey than they should be or have been in the past. :(

It's not brand new tech, that's the issue really.

It's old tech for new prices.

Associate
Play games that are over 5 years old like I do and therefore never need to spend more than £100 on a gfx card :) 70 quid second hand maybe.

The pricing for GFX cards these days is absurd and relies on a feverish abstract understanding of their actual value. I remember my brother paying £300+ for a Geforce 3 and I was shocked. You wouldn't let your dog eat its dinner of it now.

Back
Top Bottom