• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia has done it!

nVidia domination - for good and bad. We need competition damnit ..LOL!

Really hope that Intel atleast will deliver something, so we dont need to rob the bank, for nextgen!
Will you buy Intel though, or just want someone else to buy their GPUs so you can get NVIDIA cheaper? That's what happened with AMD over many years and if it continues like it always has, NVIDIA will stay dominant for good - by the choice of buyers.

I had this wild thought the other day that if i didn't pocket my Mining profits and reinvested into Nvidia, i'd have enough to pay off my mortgage now and live a pretty cosy life...
The power of hindsight - it just never works that way, does it? :)

Will you buy Intel though, or just want someone else to buy their GPUs so you can get NVIDIA cheaper? That's what happened with AMD over many years and if it continues like it always has, NVIDIA will stay dominant for good - by the choice of buyers.
Even with Intel and AMD you won't be getting Nvidia cards cheaper anytime soon, why should they sell a 3-400mm² GPU die to a bunch of entitled gamers for $1-2k when they can sell that same area of die for $30k+ to developers, business leaders, and AI researchers.

They'll probably sell a few to keep gamers on side just in case the whole AI thing collapses but outside of that it just doesn't make sense to dedicate much of their fab allocation to gamers when business will happily pay 10x what gamers will pay and without constantly whining about it.

My mother, whose 71 and as clueless about anything modern as most 71 year olds are now has AI and Nvada? Nvura? Nvia? in her consciousness... not joking.

If there is a God, help us......
My mother's main worry about AI is about somebody for some unknown and unfathomable reason putting her face on something.

I daren't actually talk to her about where AI will be in 5 or 10 years time. :cry:

Even with Intel and AMD you won't be getting Nvidia cards cheaper anytime soon, why should they sell a 3-400mm² GPU die to a bunch of entitled gamers for $1-2k when they can sell that same area of die for $30k+ to developers, business leaders, and AI researchers.

They'll probably sell a few to keep gamers on side just in case the whole AI thing collapses but outside of that it just doesn't make sense to dedicate much of their fab allocation to gamers when business will happily pay 10x what gamers will pay and without constantly whining about it.
That's pretty much what I've been saying here for a while now. :) Sure they won't close gaming business but they could go Intel route from the past and give very little upgrades each generation for high price and still have almost whole market - it takes many years to diminish such brand, so why not milk now whilst focusing on enterprise production where real money is?

If the GPUs are similar prices then I’ll just buy Nvidia, if AMD or Intel want my business they need to come in substantially cheaper. That said I won’t just blindly buy any of them if I feel they are all overpriced and will look for a deal on used cards.

If the GPUs are similar prices then I’ll just buy Nvidia, if AMD or Intel want my business they need to come in substantially cheaper. That said I won’t just blindly buy any of them if I feel they are all overpriced and will look for a deal on used cards.
But that's not how modern "free" market works. Everyone just tries to sell similar products for similar price as "competition" and not better for less, anymore. It seems to be working well for most corporations. Like, have you seen any competitions on the gaming market at all? No, everyone just sells their games (AAA at least) for same price as everyone else, for example.

But that's not how modern "free" market works. Everyone just tries to sell similar products for similar price as "competition" and not better for less, anymore. It seems to be working well for most corporations. Like, have you seen any competitions on the gaming market at all? No, everyone just sells their games (AAA at least) for same price as everyone else, for example.
It’s not working well for AMD and Intel though, admittedly Intel is new and is not competitive enough yet on performance but AMD with their strategy just seems to be losing market share every generation due to their pricing despite having decent products.

The reason ryzen did well was because they offered more cores for much less money than Intel and then built on that momentum every generation the 3000 series was the tipping point where they either got performance very close to Intel or were ahead in every metric but still they kept pricing very good, it was only when the 5000 series arrived did they then raise pricing above Intel but by then they had the better product and the mindshare in their favour.

Very rare that I buy games at release anymore, the good thing is though you can often pick them up for half price or less a year later and by then most the bugs are ironed out.

The reason ryzen did well was because they offered more cores for much less money than Intel
True but that only happened after Intel sat on their laurels for something like a decade, if Intel bothered to offer desktop CPUs with more than 4 cores a bit sooner it probably would've taken a lot of the wind out of Ryzen's sails.

The only reason they didn't is because they got complaisant and thought they could get away with minimal upgrades for maximum price, a road if rumours are to be believed Nvidia seem to be heading down with the 5k series.

Very rare that I buy games at release anymore, the good thing is though you can often pick them up for half price or less a year later and by then most the bugs are ironed out.
This is a good way to go. It's not quite the same with MP games as (at least in my case) friends will be hot on them for a few months then drop them and only occasionally revisit. Having said that, most MP tend to run well on a range of hardware.

True but that only happened after Intel sat on their laurels for something like a decade, if Intel bothered to offer desktop CPUs with more than 4 cores a bit sooner it probably would've taken a lot of the wind out of Ryzen's sails
Intel was offering more cores but they were priced much higher, the intel i7 7800X 6/12 for example launched in 2017 for nearly $400 while AMD came in with their 6/12 ryzen 1600 in 2017 priced at $219, Intel also had the i7 7920X 8/16 for $589 while AMD had the ryzen 1700 for $329 so it wasn't like Intel just didn't offer higher the core counts rather they were priced much higher.

Lets face it, had AMD come in at similar prices to those intel HEDT chips for Ryzen with maybe a $50 discount then they wouldn't have done very well which is exactly why they trail Nvidia.

Last edited:
It’s not working well for AMD and Intel though, admittedly Intel is new and is not competitive enough yet on performance but AMD with their strategy just seems to be losing market share every generation due to their pricing despite having decent products.

Is it really? Are they losing money? Are their products stuck on shelves and not moving? Is AMD even earning enough from consumer graphics cards market to care, comparing to their enterprise market (without even mentioning CPUs, which sale very well)? Do they even produce enough consumer GPUs for the sale to be a problem? Their market share as per Steam statistics hasn't changed in many years now, it's always about the same.

The reason ryzen did well was because they offered more cores for much less money than Intel and then built on that momentum every generation the 3000 series was the tipping point where they either got performance very close to Intel or were ahead in every metric but still they kept pricing very good, it was only when the 5000 series arrived did they then raise pricing above Intel but by then they had the better product and the mindshare in their favour.

And did that force Intel to lower their prices and offer better product for less? Not so much currently, is it? They simply do their Intel thing and still rely on the branding a lot.

That changes nothing in the argument I put forward - there is no such thing as competition amongst AAA publishers for a long time now.

Last edited:
Lets face it, had AMD come in at similar prices to those intel HEDT chips for Ryzen with maybe a $50 discount then they wouldn't have done very well which is exactly why they trail Nvidia.
The only way AMD was able to beat intel with pricing was by using chiplets which lowered their production cost and increased yields considerably. It didn't go the same way in GPUs for them, though.

The only way AMD was able to beat intel with pricing was by using chiplets which lowered their production cost and increased yields considerably. It didn't go the same way in GPUs for them, though.

They've had a few gens of ryzen to get it right, though. It's not like the initial ryzen blew the doors off anything. They've only really had one attempt so far at the chiplet based gpu setup.

Intel was offering more cores but they were priced much higher, the intel i7 7800X 6/12 for example launched in 2017 for nearly $400 while AMD came in with their 6/12 ryzen 1600 in 2017 priced at $219, Intel also had the i7 7920X 8/16 for $589 while AMD had the ryzen 1700 for $329 so it wasn't like Intel just didn't offer higher the core counts rather they were priced much higher.
Exactly, they rested on their laurels for 9 years and only gave customer more than 4 cores when Ryzen came along, by then it was too late.

Back
Top Bottom