• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Rolls Out Holiday Gift for Pascal Cards Owners – OC Scanner Now Available in MSI Afterburner

Soldato
Absolutely! This just lets the card draw more power if it needs it. Slide it to 120%, click apply then run the scanner. Press test when it’s done then save to a number. I would run with just the core overclock for a bit and once you know it’s stable fiddle with the memory.

I am going to try that now.
Thanks dude

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I paid full price for the Titan cooler and the 280 CPU was a alphacool refurb £50.
Watch Gamers Nexus video on how to strip down a Titan X Pascal.
Thanks mate. Might eventually do this if by the summer 7nm looks like it is far away. End of the day I do not see myself upgrading until Cyberpunk 2077 is out anyway.

Soldato
Why is the title nvidia's gift? I thought this was MSI/Afterburner's software? Also i don't get anywhere near my manual overclock using this. Max power settings unlocked temp limit from power limit too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Why is the title nvidia's gift? I thought this was MSI/Afterburner's software? Also i don't get anywhere near my manual overclock using this. Max power settings unlocked temp limit from power limit too.
Nvidia’s API that makes it possible, Afterburner just plug it in.

Soldato
Nvidia’s API that makes it possible, Afterburner just plug it in.
i thought nvidia released the api but msi didn't include pascal gpu support or recognised them but now have released updated afterburner. That's what i interpreted. So thank MSI for the update? which Turing cards previously had.

Soldato
I will give this another shot.

Power at 120% save then run the test/scanner. Save then profile 1.

Click the little icon that says apply at windows boot.

---

Is that it? When I was fiddling with the gigabytes own software the program had to start at windows start-up to apply the overclock settings.

MSI afterburner doesn't seem to set it's self up to run at boot time. Which is good but I am just not 100% if this means just clicking the button (apply at boot time in MSI AB) means that the settings just get applied or do I have to open the program up manually first before playing any games.

Soldato
So I ran it again with all the suggested settings. As you can see average overclock is 78MHz.

IMG-20181229-131108.jpg

I notice it started off at +88. :confused: Shouldn't that be +0

Last edited:
Soldato
So I ran it again with all the suggested settings. As you can see average overclock is 78MHz.

I notice it started off at +88. :confused: Shouldn't that be +0

What base clock does it start off at?

It should start off at whatever is default for the card.

Don't believe the +xxx number as when it is below the base clock, that number doesn't make any sense. It is only when it gets to the latter stages it becomes realistic. Mine shows +191 for example in the early stages, which definitely isn't correct.

Your dominant limiter seems to be "No Load" which is wrong. It should be Power or Voltage. Check you other charts to see what is going on.

Last edited:
Soldato
What base clock does it start off at?

It should start off at whatever is default for the card.

Don't believe the +xxx number as when it is below the base clock, that number doesn't make any sense. It is only when it gets to the latter stages it becomes realistic. Mine shows +191 for example in the early stages, which definitely isn't correct.

Your dominant limiter seems to be "No Load" which is wrong. It should be Power or Voltage. Check you other charts to see what is going on.

I found this:

• So after doing a lot of experimenting this is what I found when using the OC Scanner tool:
    -After finishing a scan it says what the dominant limiter was; as its running math it is always on 'no load' as this is based off of FPS... thus it will always say no load was the dominant limitation.
    - During a scan, if the GPU usage drops in the middle of a short test this is what determines the limit and it backs down on that voltage a step or two.
    - If your system crashes or black screens during scanning, be patient and it will automatically reboot for you. If somehow the display driver recovers, reboot before continuing. After the reboot let everything settle, and make sure to dial in the EXACT settings in afterburner/oc tool of choice from when you started scan, and the scan should resume when you say start.
    -The Fans use a non-insubstantial amount of power / the three-phase motors affect the overclock. Set them at 41% constant for the scan. Watch your temps however.... near 80C and you should stop and raise fan speed slightly. And start over.
    -Do not have any memory overclock during the scan. (Also I have not tested this, but maybe have an underclock may aid the scan tool to test only the core, unconfirmed atm)
    I have found my card to overclock poorly at the lower voltage levels, but can get about +270mhz at the higher voltages. I custom edit the curve to follow this +270 offset at greater than 1 volt. And adjust to a more modest +50 mhz offset at lower than 1 volt. Works well for me.
    I have not yet overclocked the memory as I don't have a ton of time to watch for artifacting at the moment.

Soldato
Yeh I don't believe that. The limiter for unmodded cards should always be Power/Voltage.

For me it is Power (1080ti) even at 120%. There is also another user who posted Power above.

Soldato
I've run it again and basically the same result.

IMG-20181229-153643.jpg

This time I reset it to stock as you can see with the +0MHz when it starts.

+73Mhz is the result.

Still says the dominant limiting factor is 'No load'.

If you watch the official video they too have the same thing.

Soldato
Here's a question for you.

Lets say hypothetically you go an buy a new Zotac 2080 one of the ones clocked at 1830MHz.

Is it in the cards BIOS that that is it's default clock?

When you run this tool on the card and press default would it set it to this speed?

Would you even bother to run this tool on a new card? How do you know it wont mess up the clocks or even find slower speed?

Are you expecting MSI AB to find a curve that is above the default factory overclock of 1830MHz?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom