• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

rn2

rn2

Associate
Still have not decided to go for a 3070 or 3080 for 1080p gaming. With a 3070 I hope to get up to 3 and a half years out of it. Either that or run a 3080 on a bottlenecked cpu for 2 years with the 3080 lasting a lot longer but at a risk of it failing after the warranty.

With the price of the 3070 I wouldn't lose out after 3 yearsso I am edging towards the 3070.

My monitor is gsync 240hz but I would probably cap the frames lower as not to get used to the very high frames before they start to fall to 144 or lower again :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Still have not decided to go for a 3070 or 3080 for 1080p gaming. With a 3070 I hope to get up to 3 and a half years out of it. Either that or run a 3080 on a bottlenecked cpu for 2 years with the 3080 lasting a lot longer but at a risk of it failing after the warranty.

Can definitely see the 3080 last you 5 years easily, plus gives you the flexibility of going up to 1440p if needed. 3070 is also a solid choice too, decisions decisions!!

Caporegime
I personally wouldn't go for a founders edition after seeing some videos of the new fan setup.

why? It looks like another quality made and engineered founders card and the new fan setup does indeed look like it’s going to cool the card very well and quietly.

what do you hate?

Associate
While I appreciate the effort gone into the FE cards, JayzTwoCents video kinda put me off a little.
It looks like there is no way to take the card apart without damaging it, so no water cooling. Still, it looks so good! Maybe .. maybe that cooling solution is good enough to not have to watercool at all? I can’t imagine those fans not spinning right up under heavy gaming load, though.

Caporegime
While I appreciate the effort gone into the FE cards, JayzTwoCents video kinda put me off a little.
It looks like there is no way to take the card apart without damaging it, so no water cooling. Still, it looks so good! Maybe .. maybe that cooling solution is good enough to not have to watercool at all? I can’t imagine those fans not spinning right up under heavy gaming load, though.

after seeing no screws I am waiting for the first video showing how easy/hard they are to take apart. There are going to be water blocks available for the FE on the first day so there can’t be that hard to take apart.......hopefully.lol

Soldato
I agree on the 12 pin cable, I have emailed Seasonic to see if they do a 12 pin modular cable for my Seasonic PSU.

Dang ! Nvidia have got everything so locked down no-one dare say anything !
Reply from Seasonic:
"Thank you for contacting Seasonic.
We cannot provide any information yet but we recommend to keep an eye on our website and or subscribe to our Newsletter (on our main page, bottom right) as we plan in the next days/week to make an announcement about how we will support our customers with these new cards coming.

Thank you."

:rolleyes:

Associate
I've talked myself out of FE cards because of that awful connector positioning and ugly adaptor. There is no clean way that will satisfy my ocd for wiring that thing up!

Associate
after seeing no screws I am waiting for the first video showing how easy/hard they are to take apart. There are going to be water blocks available for the FE on the first day so there can’t be that hard to take apart.......hopefully.lol

It looks like the screws are covered with those push fit screw caps that are a pain to remove. I don’t think it will be particularly difficult to disassemble, I think the main concern is doing so without causing damage. I honestly can’t see how that can be done. I think it has brought me to a crossroad of; FE & no block at all, or AIB & water option.

rn2

rn2

Associate
Don't have a window for all that RGB bull**** so I couldn't care what I looked like ;)

I meant the way the card pushes most of the hot air out of it and infront of the cpu cooler (this is a problem if you have a cpu tower cooler) which I will.

I know that gpus push the air upwards in that direction but with the FE it will be pushing most of the heat out of one spot and that spot being right infront of a tower cooler rather than distributed over more space and fans.

Of course if your cpu is water cooled then there is no issue :)

why? It looks like another quality made and engineered founders card and the new fan setup does indeed look like it’s going to cool the card very well and quietly.

what do you hate?

I don't hate it (read above your quote here). As I said it's just the reason why I would not buy it for me personally. I could be very wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
I meant the way the card pushes most of the hot air out of it and infront of the cpu cooler (this is a problem if you have a cpu tower cooler) which I will.

I know that gpus push the air upwards in that direction but with the FE it will be pushing most of the heat out of one spot and that spot being right infront of a tower cooler rather than distributed over more space and fans.

I think you saw the engineering sample..
the arrangement is supposed to pull air from bottom and exhaust most of it from the rear end.
Also, you can always play with vsync on :)

Associate
i had a question regarding the size of 8k frame buffers.
Assuming traditional double buffer rendering, how much ram will be required for just these buffers while running a modern dx12 game?

Back
Top Bottom