Nvidia Shield TV Refresh

Soldato
Don't know if anybody noticed Nvidia's release at CES of the relaunched Shield TV. The relaunched 16Gb units are released today and have apparently been shipped from various retailers.

There have been no major changes to the hardware of either the 16GB or 500GB pro models, apart from the sdcard slot being dumped off the 16GB and the size of the 16GB unit reduced.

The biggest change comes in the form of a new design bluetooth linked controller and this time the remote bundled in the box as well. The biggest and main change that will also benefit existing Shield users as well is the rollout of Shield Experience 5.0 based on Android Nougat, which with the various advantages that Android 7 brings, Nvidia have now made a deal with Amazon so at last the Amazon Video streaming app is officially included with support for 4K HDR streaming as well. There are apparently improvements to Game Stream as well and also over time increasing integration with Google Home using "Always on" voice activation on the controllers and yet to be released dongles.

http://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/release-notes/2

The Shield Experience 5.0 should also start rolling out to original Shields today allegedly.

The shield already was one of the best media streamers available (or unavailable except for stupid money for the last couple of months :p) but this is upping the game again and will become my default device again. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Koying can do with SPMC on the new API compared with Kodi 17 which will get a few tweaks as well.

Associate
Good news and definitely a step the right way but what it really needs is all the UK catchup services working.

Soldato
OP
Perhaps read my opening post, as it might contain that information in there ;) :p

The new ones do as they are shipping with the new Shield Experience 5.0 (Android N) the rollout of Android N to the 2015 Shields has been delayed by at least a week but I successfully sideloaded the new Amazon apk to my 2015 and can confirm it works a treat with UHD and HDR all working perfectly and a damn site better than the appalling Sony Android TV Amazon App (that suffers from lipsync creep issues)

Nividia have apparently made a deal with Amazon and Prime Video is now available on the v.1.1 Shield and will be rolled out to v. 1.0 Shield's shortly.

Fixed for you :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Nividia have apparently made a deal with Amazon and Prime Video is now available on the 2017 Shield and will be rolled out to 2015 Shield's shortly.

Fixed for you :p

Fixed it properly for you ;)

Also, now the Shield has Prime, why would one pick the Fire TV over it? Other than being cheaper, the Fire has no advantages I can see?

Soldato
OP
But Fire TV lacks HDMI 2.0a/b (Only 1.4 so no 4K60 and thus no native 4K interface), HDR, 1 Gb Ethernet port, passthrough of HD audio formats, no Framerate switching in Plex (Kodi and SPMC have to play games to do it)

As to UK on demand services aside from the available iPlayer, I just cast from my phone or tablet.

Don't get me wrong the Fire TV is a cracking little box (if somewhat problematic with Black crush on the gen 2s) and half the price of Shield but Amazon dropped a couple of catches on the selection of hardware for the gen 2.

Associate
I just sold my year old Shield for a Fire TV it's a better box for my needs.
No interest in 4K or HD audio,even made a tidy profit when i sold the Shield for more than i paid for it lol

Soldato
OP
Annoyingly it looks like nVIDIA have not implemented the new IEC61937 audio passthrough from Android Nougat and are still using the RAW method from Marshmallow, that may cause some problems down the line with Kodi as they very definitely do not like RAW.

**Edit: Also looks like Nvidia up to it's usual games telling porkys about "new" features which are in fact just exisiting features that have been around for a while, the Steam App being one which is just a link to Steam Big Picture which has existed in Game Stream for some time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think they managed their stock levels well since the 16GB Amazon sales for £99, 4 months back, with prices subsequently increasing !, but with new supply may now start to adjust down.
With 4K 3rd gen Amazon fire tv & Roku Ultra there will be more 4k competition, albeit if you have a 4k tv you can get netflix/amazon anyway, with decode of hevc with plex/kodi apps.

Soldato
**Edit: Also looks like Nvidia up to it's usual games telling porkys about "new" features which are in fact just exisiting features that have been around for a while, the Steam App being one which is just a link to Steam Big Picture which has existed in Game Stream for some time.

That's my big disappointment, was really hoping for a true Steam Streaming App and not the shortcut, as game stream is a hit or miss, it works great one minute, then an hour later it's just crap and doesn't launch/crashes(ethernet not wifi).

It's all kicking off over@Nv Shield TV forum:

CES transcripts of NV's claims that Steam devs worked with Nv to bring the 'new' Steam App(total silence form Steam since the claim was made).

User not happy at all, as he walked into a shop, read the box features and bought his for the 'Control your smart home from the comfort of your couch', plugged it in and using the new 'always on mic' controller..

pe3FmYV.png

It isn't enabled@Shield 2017 launch.:o

‘BETTER CALL SAUL’ Season 2 springs to mind.:p

Users stating HDR game streaming doesn't work at all using HDR enabled titles.

Also grumblings at the way Nv are advertising what games Shield can play, like plugging: 'Play No Man's Sky On Shield'

Technically it can, you have to pay £7.99 month and pay for the game on top(you get a Steam key included', but pretty misleading is an understatement imo.

On funnier note, Shield 2015 owners, surprise surprise, yes you guessed it- are kicking off because Nv mods removed posts that stated both models would have Android N on both 2015/17 Shields@launch, instead of just saying thanks for giving us full functions too, a week or two isn't a matter of life or death, at the end of the day should be great-full, I am.

Last edited:
Soldato
A wee comparison on 2015 v 2017 Shield

Got 2015 16Gb, a Pro and the K1 Shield, so glad I've got the originals as the new 16Gb has stripped features, but most of all because I got them all on deals, First, my K1@£105(using a free £20 promotion on top of a £25 off daily deal), then 16Gb@£99.99 and Pro@£149.99.

And got to say, couldn't live without any of them, play co-op games with the lad(Ultimate chicken horse FTW), other Android-some Nv enhanced, most titles cost next to nothing in the sales, Game Stream.

Netflix, Emby instead of Plex as you buy it once for £4/5(can't remember)and it streams any media from the PC without manually updating anything.

Soldato
OP
I have to say even with NVidia shennanigens (which lets face it we're used to now as they are one of the most dishonest companies on Earth) I couldn't do with without my 2015 Shield 16GB. It really is the goto "out of the box" Kodi/SPMC streamer, I've recently been reripping my whole library as HEVC with the HD soundtracks and it just works with no fuss :)

Add the game streaming (even in its current state), Netflix 4K & HDR and the sideloaded Amazon Video (now with 4K & HDR) and it just works the way I want (and even the Misses can use it with no bother :p)

Soldato
OP
Well Manuel Guzman is claiming that the Experience 5.0 update for 2015 Shields was pulled on release day because of last minute discovered bug (pinch of salt??)

Incidently they have already patched Experience to 5.01 because of other isssues (some are claiming it has finally fixed refresh rate switching for people who have the chain Shield->Amp->TV where HDMI version go 2.0->2.0->1.4)

Back
Top Bottom