• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to limit hash rate of RTX3060 GPU's

Soldato
can think of a couple of issues, surely miners just download older drivers, unless nvidia gimp them all, or im sure miners will get round it by writing their own drivers some how, but kudos to nvidia for trying, more than AMD is doing

Lol at the praising Nvidia for trying to destroy the 2nd hand market. Do you think AMD could do anything? They have open source Linux drivers so it would be difficult for them to block mining. In any case AMD is concentrating on consoles so gpu stock levels are not their top priority.

Soldato
@danlightbulb I think I'd say that it's not so much that "crypto is wasteful to some extent", but rather that PoW is designed to use as much energy as the world can dedicate to mining.

There's no cap on energy use where PoW is involved.

Yes, Eth is (maybe) going PoS. But we already know Eth will fork to stay on PoW when that happens (or already has). And other *coins will keep PoW. New coins will arise using PoW.

There are many PoW advocates out there who will tell you PoS is inferior for crypto. People who will tell you that "more energy use means more security".

Yes, many things are wasteful to some extent. Not many things are wasteful by design and seek to waste as much as they can.

Shouldn't we be designing for efficiency? Shouldn't we be designing for a harmonious existence with our environment?

Should we reject designs that are deliberately wasteful? Or at least try to find alternatives?

Yes we should be designing for efficiency.

But someone else will always exploit an opportunity that is there. Even if you do the above.

Mining/crypto is currently a huge speculative bubble. It has a future use case, but its currently driven by speculation and the hope of getting rich (or richer).

So what happens is if you don't participate, other people do and that makes you relatively poorer than the others.

This is not good, because it means you're not satisfying the core principle of your own security. So you have to join in too unless youre already secure.

It is a vicious circle and we are being played.

Who is really making the big money? Is it the small scale miner or is its a bigger institutional group? Some will have us believe this is power to the people, I don't believe that for one minute.

Look what happened with housing. People who already had houses were buying more to make money, but this took away from the people that just wanted one.

Resemblance to GPUs do you think?

What happened then? Prices driven up, more and more credit required. Higher prices higher returns. Every bit of free cash ploughed into this asset as an investment at the expense of people with genuine need.

It is every man for himself don't kid yourself otherwise.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm earning less than nat. average wage and I do not believe avoiding crypto will seriously dent my security or future prosperity.

I will have a bit less pocket money, sure.

Houses are so ludicrously priced that any crypto income will be dwarfed by house price inflation anyhow. ~7 to 8% last year alone.

Soldato
There is a Chinese owned gpu mining farm in Tehran with a demand capacity of 300mW... its been causing blackouts yeah - Iran Goverment is selling electricity to miners at $0.02usd per kWh
What about industries then?

People are using resources and mining to get crypto that others want and who will buy from them.

Again, I dont knownwhy crypto is being singled out. Massive amounts of resources are used the world over to make rubbish that some people find valuable. Its the cornerstone of the world 's economy.

I see what you're saying and I get your view. But what industry creates nothing?

I get the calculations for science etc that can piggy back on crypto. But crypto in itself burns something we are meant to be finding ways to reduce consumption. Or maybe crypto will be a catalyst stepping stone to energy production that is carbon zero.

OK it makes money due to it's disconnect from the FIAT monetary system, so criminals put the money in there to start, exchange / launder whatever. Anyone can create with a CPU/GPU. It's genius.

JUst with the climate crisis going on. Chopping down forests in BRazil also makes money. It just isn't ethical.

Actually the worst thing you can do as a human, is create another human. Only one animal on earth has conquered it's natural surrounding resources. And most of us feel having another human to burn more energy has nothing to do with where we are headed. Apart from creating a value in something humans consider valuable. It is nothing. A bit like benchmarking :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm joking

Soldato
Are you in such need that the crypto money is the difference between putting the heating on or going cold?
Actually I have used a lot less heating and been a lot warmer in my last 10 days of mining ;)

As for the coal mine being opened in UK.(mentioned in another post) I may be wrong but almost certain that won't be for burning in a power plant. Isn't it for use in a foundry? Under 1% of UK energy comes from coal (iirc just under half from wind , some solar, some nuclear... But the only fossils fuel of note is gas which is not ideal but better than coal. (And under 20% from memory.
On breezy or sunny days sometimes our entire grid can go fully renewable.[/QUOTE]

Soldato
Anyways every mining GPU they make could have been a gaming GPU.

Linus just released a video on it. Agree 100%

The chip yields are low for the 3000 series cards... They'll just use the chips that were not good enough for gaming cards and put them into the mining cards. Mining cards don't use much of the GPU, it's the ram that is important.
This means less wasted chips and more profit for Nvidia with minimal effect to the gaming supply

Caporegime
The chip yields are low for the 3000 series cards... They'll just use the chips that were not good enough for gaming cards and put them into the mining cards. Mining cards don't use much of the GPU, it's the ram that is important.
This means less wasted chips and more profit for Nvidia with minimal effect to the gaming supply

If this were true they would have been making more profitable mining cards on the side the whole series with their off casts. There's always a market even without a boom.

This whole endeavour is a bad attempt to save face and still maximize profits.

Fair play to them.
They practically have a duopoly on the market.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Soldato
Chinese Cryptocurrency Miners Allegedly Bypass NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3060 Hash Rate Limiter, Delivers Up To 50 MH/s

https://wccftech.com/chinese-crypto...e-limiter-delivers-up-to-50-mh-s-in-ethereum/

Fantastic news for miners so they will do the same with RTX 3080 Ti when it will launch soon.
It may not have been hacked yet - PC Gamer are reporting that the 3060s in the image are mining Conflux, not Etherium.

Back
Top Bottom