• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Permabanned
Poor Volta Vega if this is the case.

I don't think I'm going to bother buying another graphics card until I can upgrade to a 4K ultrawide monitor and when I do I'll get a g-sync one if AMD hasn't upped it's game. My Vega 64 Nitro+ does a great job at 3440x1440 with Freesync but it was overpriced at £800 so as long as it continues to perform well I'm gonna get as much life out of it as possible.

Man of Honour
But that is the point. AMD designed an architecture that doesn't scale well with the APIS and game engine designed that exist. AMD have repeatedly tried to change this, first with the failed mantle API, then a heavily influenced DX12 API that very few developers care about at all. AMD scaled GCN by adding more and more shaders to the 4 compute units, trying to use brute force to increase throughput. This just hasn't scaled under the current environment. By most account Nvidia has much more technology to drive efficiency, with each generation not simply upping shader counts bu significantly extending or improving how the extra compute resources can be utilized and properly loaded. Nvidia have taken a lot of care of bottlenecks, while AMD's approach seems to be to tell developers to ignore the bottlenecks but use Async compute to do a load of work while you are waiting for underutilized shaders.

GCN is now liek an American muscle car, very powerful and fast on the straight, terrible on the corners. Nvidia's designs are like German performance cars, less raw power but better refined. AMD's approach is to make their cars faster on the straight while ignoring the horrible corner handling, with the advice to developers to put your foot down on the straight.

They started going the right direction with Polaris but just couldn't get the clock speed but undid it again with Vega relying on trick implementations that will never be used to bypass the underutilisation. There is nothing fundamentally broken of the core architecture though its more the implementation and a blind stubbornness towards a paradigm that just isn't going to happen.

nVidia moved away from discrete blocks of hardware dedicated to tasks and designed it so that as much functionality as possible can be brute force ran on the shaders - it isn't elegant but means that on higher end cards you scale up performance with both more shaders and more clock speed while on AMD those features are still dedicated blocks and scale only with clock speed (though some of the new features try to work around that like the new primitive handling features) - something they've not managed to push very well.

Soldato
Globalfoundries 14nm process seems to have issues scaling above a certain clock speed. Polaris, Vega and even Zen have a wall where they just can't improve and their perf/watt just falls off a cliff. Hopefully with 7nm this will be fixed but we will have to wait and see.

Soldato
It still could be the 1170, 1180. Who knows :) I was massively guilty in that other thread of just not letting the argument go. Must learn to put the keyboard down and back away from the PC :p

haha, me too. That's why I didn't reply to your last post in that thread and replied to your 1080 Ti post in the other thread instead. :) I do appreciate the olive branch you extended in your reply to me though. It sure earned a ton of respect from me. Kudos to you. I guess we are at peace for the moment :p:D

And to those of you who thought people were massively upset because other people suggested another name, lol, you are so wrong. Myself and Foxeye were making educated guesses on what the next gen cards would be called. We both agreed that the other person could be right and that we could also be wrong as Nvidia could go with something completely different. The actual argument was about the current naming scheme and it's meaning or lack of.

Permabanned
Titan V is total rubbish but better rubbish than the other options.:D

Is it, really?

So guys, you think its really coming ? 2070/2080

1. Whats the probable % increase in performance over 2080Ti, vs 2080.
2. Is there any legid info(legid rumors) that it is really coming March 2018+ ?
3. I guess its not worth it to buy 1080Ti now, even with discount codes, right ?
:)

chip market segment deadline situation graphics Cards Performance target
GA104 High End whrschl. April 2018 GeForce GTX 2070 & 2080 2070 ~ GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
GA106 midrange mglw. Late summer / fall 2018 GeForce GTX 2060 2060 ~ GeForce GTX 1080
GA102 enthusiast Gesch. end 2018 to spring 2019 GeForce GTX 2080 Ti 2080 Ti ~ GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + 70-80%
GA107 mainstream Gesch. Spring / Summer 2019 GeForce GTX 2050 & 2050 Ti 2050 Ti ~ GeForce GTX 1060
GA108 LowCost Gesch. Spring / Summer 2019 GeForce GT 2030 2030 ~ GeForce GTX 1050
The statements in this table are mostly pure assumptions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its going to be a trick to try and sell pascal cards before these cards start hurting their used value and then buying these new cards before the prices jump up due to stock issues, which I think will happen not long after launch. If played right I think one could sell a pascal card more than they buy one of these cards for.

Associate
If played right I think one could sell a pascal card more than they buy one of these cards for.

I have it on good authority that the 2080 will be very competitively priced at £199.

So if anyone has a 1080 they'd like to sell early for £200, ping me. *

* And none of that standard blower rubbish, please. :)

Soldato
I have a blower 1080. Blower is in the box though.
I reckon I'll keep it at least until the 2080Ti comes out for a nice price drop on the 2080. By then should be on an ultrawide 3440*1440 monitor so will need some shove.

Back
Top Bottom