nzbmatrix quits

Associate
lol at the whine in this thread. Don't understand why people don't just legitimately buy or rent the music, films, TV shows and any other content they want access to.

Is it possible to build a site indexing site with a basis on newznab?

From reading yes. I am going to give this a go on a VM once I finish off my hyper-v server host over the next few days

I wouldn't go public with it though. Private use only

Yep, it's a doddle. Took me 2-3 hours last night, initially using Newsnab GPL then buying the full fat version. You really need the FF version for the regex additions, and arguably for the Sphinx and multi-threaded functionality.

Works well on Ubuntu 12.10. Currently running on a 2 core VM on a 3570k at stock with 2gb allocated. In fact, that's probably overkill, the bottleneck if anything is my ISP (Infinity 45mb) or my Newsgroup account.

The developer for Newznab must be raking it in now :p £10 minimum for each :eek:

Yep, and with good cause too. It's an impressive bit of software, nicely polished out of the box and very configurable.

Soldato
The problem isn't the indexing sites, there are hundreds still up and available. The problem is the usenet servers taking down DMCA content immediately with automated systems. Either a new breed of usenet providers outside of DMCA jurisdiction will appear shortly, or we'll go back to the good old days of downloading headers from certain groups, trying to work out what some of it was, downloading it then going on secret irc channels to request PARs etc. etc.

:D

Lets face it, it's a shady practice and nobody has the right to be upset about it if the mechanisms used to facilitate or make it easier go away.

Just because you've paid money to access said shady service doesn't give any more weight to the argument.

If they started DMCAing Linux distributions on Newsgroups then fair enough. ;)

Soldato
You might as well start calling all free file hosts & CDNs scum.

I know exactly what you said, and it's nonsense. Why not whinge about ISPs or hard disk manufacturers who are also raking in millions on the back of piracy too? They're also "scum", right?

Not true, neither ISP's or hard disk manufacturers have a business model designed around encouraging piracy and rewarding people for uploading pirated material. Mega Upload did.

ISP's and hard disk makers would both still exist as viable businesses without piracy making the companies running them vast profits. Mega Upload would not.

Kim dot com is a theiving scum bag and those who defend him are laughable.

Associate
Paid for newznab, realised it was FAR too technical for anyone is not very PC literate, I thought it was a client.

Very misleading

Paypal dispute raised.

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, it's a doddle. Took me 2-3 hours last night, initially using Newsnab GPL then buying the full fat version. You really need the FF version for the regex additions, and arguably for the Sphinx and multi-threaded functionality.
Works well on Ubuntu 12.10. Currently running on a 2 core VM on a 3570k at stock with 2gb allocated. In fact, that's probably overkill, the bottleneck if anything is my ISP (Infinity 45mb) or my Newsgroup account.

Does newznab have a facility to filter results? Like if someone wanted to search for a film or music, is it possible to sort results by film, instead of getting a list of every file with the search term in the title?
EDIT: herpderp, I can see the screenshort in background on newznab site....
EDIT2: Damn this trial is confusing, gonna have to learn how to use it, have no experience with websites or coding at all

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
Paid for newznab, realised it was FAR too technical for anyone is not very PC literate, I thought it was a client.

Very misleading

Paypal dispute raised.

Noob, you should get your money back for being a spastic but you shouldn't get your money back for being mislead because you weren't.

To quote their front page

newznab is a usenet indexing application, that makes building a usenet community easy

Exactly how would a client help build a community?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
rewarding people for uploading pirated material. Mega Upload did.

They rewarded people for driving traffic to the site. Nobody was forced to pay money to upload & download content.

Google rewards people for driving traffic to youtube videos
ISPs reward people for referring friends

The idea is nothing new.

Back
Top Bottom