OC(UK) Host Review :-)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Don't you just love the maturity of some people?

To you, Mr. 84.64.26.122, I salute. Entering "<!--" in all of the fields was an act of pure genius and has shown what a 'n00b' I am by trusting users not to do that.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Ah sorry, that would be down to our friend mentioned in the above post - he rated Serverstream 1 out of 10 then entered <!-- in all of the fields. I'll correct it now ;).

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Just a temporary fix until I get my head around the SQL required to create a proper 'weighted' system but, as a default, the list is now sorted by the number of reviews multiplied by the average - I think that's a little fairer than the current system but stil far from perfect.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
For the record, I've deleted 'Woodhorn Hosting'. Not only did they steal their site layout from the very site they're trying to promote themselves on (not to mention various other sites - see above) which is reason enough, I doubt very much that the reviews posted were genuine. Neither was the e-mail address used to submit for that matter "[email protected]" LOL :D.

Permabanned
can a don change the name of this thread to website hosting review or something as it seems some people have difficulty reading the existing title :p

Soldato
Freak_boy said:
can a don change the name of this thread to website hosting review or something as it seems some people have difficulty reading the existing title :p

I think something like

"Hot naked women in HERE"

Would have a greater chance of people reading it :p

Soldato
Adz said:
Inspired by this thread and the many other recent "which hosting is best?" type threads, I spent my free afternoon today creating this:

www.ochostreview.co.uk

The idea is that OcUK members can suggest hosting companies (or domain registration, dedicated servers, etc...) which users can them post comments, reviews and ratings against. In future, people who have never bought webhosting before will hopefully be able to look upon this as a useful and wholly unbiased resource.

It will be moderated and any blatantly fake (or abusive, slanderous, etc) posts will be removed.

The only person not allowed to have any input is myself, for obvious reasons. To the rest of you, I'd be grateful for your input.

I have endulged in a couple of light tipples this evening and it was rather rushed so some of the code may be a little dodgy. If anything looks wrong, please let me know.

It's also very, very basic at the moment. Any suggestions for improvements or new features would be appreciated.

:)

Cool, just added two :)

Soldato
After noticing a number of threads looking for specific hosting requirements - windows, dedicated, UK-only... - I thought that it might be useful for people to be able to filter the hosts by the services they offer?

I'm thinking:

Windows | *nix
UK | US | Other
Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated | Domains

would be the useful filters, but maybe could be expanded to DMBSs available, PHP versions and so on.

I'm not sure how the ability to modify the available services would be managed, but thought it might be worth suggesting :).

icon14.gif
Thumbs-up for the site regardless.

Last edited:

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
That's a good suggestion and something I had considered before. Another useful field I thought would be one for the host's geographical location or, more important, the location of their servers.

The only issue is one of accuracy. If a user submits a host and enters inaccurate information, whose job is it to correct it?

Soldato
This might be too ambitious, but It might be worth it being able to edit a review, say you have a bad experience? Maybe it only being able to be edited by same ip or something like that?

Adz

Adz

Soldato
OP
Conrad11 said:
This might be too ambitious, but It might be worth it being able to edit a review, say you have a bad experience? Maybe it only being able to be edited by same ip or something like that?

It's on the list of 'features to add'. It won't be done by IP but rather by e-mail address. You will be able to request a 'key' to be sent to the e-mail address you gave when you submitted your original review to enable you to edit it. For now, if you've had a bad experience with a host, just submit a second review :).

Back
Top Bottom